The Play With U2 Tab books/CD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WalkOnTheEdge

The Fly
Have you guys seen these new tab books/CD?? Holy freaking shit, man, unbelievable! If you really want to nail the Edge's playing to some of their best songs you've got to get these books.

I bought the 1980-83 book and I'm blown away. Man, can this guy play U2! Awesome stuff.

Thanks for the links. Now that is really nifty that they come with a backing track CD. Are they based on the live or album versions? Does the book also tell which effects and settings to use?

Muad'zin said:
Thanks for the links. Now that is really nifty that they come with a backing track CD. Are they based on the live or album versions? Does the book also tell which effects and settings to use?

They are all studio versions. You won't believe how exact they are with the whole band playing.....so damn good....everything but vocals. It may as well be the Edge....there's no way to tell it's not! And the backing tracks are real solid (no guitar on the backing tracks).

The tab is freaking perfect and the detail regarding palm muting, delay effect to use, etc is spot on.

So far I've only gotten the 1980-1983 book but I'm expecting 1984-1987 in the mail tomorrow. If you really want to nail the songs that these 2 books cover then do yourself a favor and get them.

One more thing, I consider myself a pretty decent guitar player and I'm telling you I had no idea a few of these songs were so tough!! Electric Co. and the harmonic parts in Gloria are a bitch.....gonna take me a little longer than I thought!

I got one from MusicDispatch.com ($21 total) and the other from ebay ($16 total).

Last edited:
You should upload the songs and scan the pages and send them too me:wink: And I will share the wealth

macphisto23 said:
You should upload the songs and scan the pages and send them too me:wink: And I will share the wealth

Or you could unclench the padlocks on your wallet and spend $20. :wink:

Put it this way, if you walked into Guitar Center and an instructor said to you, "For $20 I'll teach you the exact way to play every note of Electric Co, Out Of Control, Gloria, NYD, I Will Follow, 2 Hearts, and Sunday Bloody....would you do it??? Of course you would!! :yes:

Because that's precisely how good these books are. I've been working on the 1980-1983 book and I can guarantee you there isn't a better way anywhere of learning these tunes. Unless, of course, the Edge himself taught you. :edge:

WalkOnTheEdge said:

Or you could unclench the padlocks on your wallet and spend $20. :wink:

Put it this way, if you walked into Guitar Center and an instructor said to you, "For $20 I'll teach you the exact way to play every note of Electric Co, Out Of Control, Gloria, NYD, I Will Follow, 2 Hearts, and Sunday Bloody....would you do it??? Of course you would!! :yes:

Because that's precisely how good these books are. I've been working on the 1980-1983 book and I can guarantee you there isn't a better way anywhere of learning these tunes. Unless, of course, the Edge himself taught you. :edge:

Have you checked out www.mysongbook.com? Are the songs any better that you have?

Hey! Scan one song of the book like The Electric Co. or Out Of Control or whatever so we can see the quality of the book!!!

Well, I just got my 1984-87 book and it's solid. If you're having trouble with any of these songs it's a worthy buy.

Personally, I like the 1980-1983 book better because the songs on it are much more difficult to figure out from tab on the net. This book made me see these songs in a way I had never seen them. Songs like Gloria and Electric Co are awesome in this book...it is MUCH easier to follow along than it is with just tab on the net.

Merry Christmas!!!

Ok, you cheap bastards, you win. :wink: Here are the full band versions (minus vocals) for Gloria, Electric Co, and Out Of Control from the Play Guitar With U2 books. Again, the book also has full backing tracks but I'm not posting those.

Like I said, the tab in the book is dead-on for everything you hear. Remember, Electric Co is identical to the STUDIO version, not live. All you have to do is get the "Cry" intro from the web and you'll be all set.

Hope you enjoy these.....

http://www.angelfire.com/clone2/davi/

Thanks for sharing these mate. The backing tracks I've heard seem to have a bit too much guitar. I just stick to making my own. Saves cash :wink:

am22884 said:
Thanks for sharing these mate. The backing tracks I've heard seem to have a bit too much guitar. I just stick to making my own. Saves cash :wink:

These aren't backing tracks. These are full band versions (minus vocals) that come with tab. The books also include backing tracks only - no guitar. I did not post these.

I know, I was talking about some of the actual backing tracks without guitar. I have a few of them & they have some guitar on them albeit low in the mix.

WalkOnTheEdge said:
Merry Christmas!!!

Ok, you cheap bastards, you win. :wink: Here are the full band versions (minus vocals) for Gloria, Electric Co, and Out Of Control from the Play Guitar With U2 books. Again, the book also has full backing tracks but I'm not posting those.

Like I said, the tab in the book is dead-on for everything you hear. Remember, Electric Co is identical to the STUDIO version, not live. All you have to do is get the "Cry" intro from the web and you'll be all set.

Hope you enjoy these.....

http://www.angelfire.com/clone2/davi/

:up: Thanks
Now all we need is the tab:hmm:

macphisto23 said:

:up: Thanks
Now all we need is the tab:hmm:

Sorry, I just don't have time for that. Just go to Musicdispatch.com and spend the $20....it's not gonna kill you. :rockon:

I've seen the preview of som songs in musicroom, and some are not that accurate (e.g., one). Are you sure that on the intro of electric co. he `plays all the notes, doesn't leave part to a delay?

finnsmith said:
I've seen the preview of som songs in musicroom, and some are not that accurate (e.g., one). Are you sure that on the intro of electric co. he `plays all the notes, doesn't leave part to a delay?

I can't speak for any of the books other than the two I have. The only one I'm not a fan of from my books is New Years Day. It's good, but he does play the piano part on guitar on the demo.

Electric Co in the book is all strumming and it sounds DEAD ON to the real song. Again, this is the studio version so you don't have the 'Cry' intro. But the opening is definitely 4 strums per fingering except for the final two of the opening run........2nd fret, 5th fret, 4th fret, 9th fret get 4 strums; 11th fret 7th fret get 3 strums.

Back
Top Bottom