The "Gone" sound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheWanderer

The Fly
Any guitarists out there know what that sound Edge is using in the intro to Gone is? I thinks it's a Flanger with tons of overdrive, but I can't seem to duplicate it. I know everyone knows this, but Edge is an OK guitarist; but he's a freakin' genius when it comes to creating a sound. He's like a mad scientist...
jgd

Wanderer, some of the equipment used in Gone's intro: Gretsch Chet Atkins Country Gentleman guitar, several Vox AC-30's, some sort of Roland amp, Digitech Whammy I, and some Lovetone pedals. I believe the Lovetones were the Big Cheese or Doppleganger. I read about this process for recording the intro and fills of Gone in an interview with Howie B or Eno, I am not sure which.

Edge would play through one of his Vox's with the Whammy open and the Lovetone pedals going and then he would be unsatisfied, because he is the man, and then he would switch amps. I believe the final cut came to Edge playing through a Vox AND a rotary speaker effect! It sounds so insane. I even heard Howie B or Eno say that they were even postioning amps in odd ways to try and get certain sounds. A day in the life of U2's guitar section, whew!

[This message has been edited by Zoomeranger (edited 11-28-2000).]

Okay.... here is the way I've been able to recreate it. All the afore mentioned equipment is probably correct, but here is the actual setup...... Chet atkins into the two distortion pedals (one was the lovetone and the other might be a fuzz face) then into the whammy pedal,( to get that octave dive), then into one of edge's delays (korg sdd 3000). the delay is fed back heavily, meaning that the delay repeats a whole bunch, that is why there is that wash of sound underneath everything. the two distortion pedals give it a very stange tonal quality and it is important fiddle with the settings so that it is e.q.ed right, and they also add much needed compression/sustain.

i think... and this is just speculation... that the MOFO sound is also a derivative of this setup although I haven't been able to recreate it exactly. Sustain is key.

------------------
"On the other hand... you have different fingers." - anon

Okay, okay, so I'm not a musician, But I wanted to check out all the guys hanging round here...
rolleyes.gif

------------------
Support Amnesty's Campaign against Rape and Violence in Sierra Leone. Sign up.

Support my campaign to help the people of Burma. See my thread.

[This message has been edited by bonovista (edited 12-01-2000).]

You have got a thing for musicians, don't you Bonovista!
wink.gif

Ahh, so that is why you always act so funny around me, I am surprised I didn't think of that before!

Back
Top Bottom