The Fly... Elevation Tour Version

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Miricale_Drug

War Child
Does anyone have this, IE the fly mixed down to one guitar. Im not so worried about the new prefixed sectio (go out into the sportshall etc) but more the tradition bit of the song.

thanks in advance david

That one guitar mens absolutely nothing. Only thing Bono plays that you can hear is C#m-E-A(2X) during chorus, but Edge can play that while singing. Only new thing about Elevation was intro, which i saw somewhere but i forgeted, sorry

Pero said:
That one guitar mens absolutely nothing. Only thing Bono plays that you can hear is C#m-E-A(2X) during chorus, but Edge can play that while singing. Only new thing about Elevation was intro, which i saw somewhere but i forgeted, sorry

the solo was a bit different, the first chorus was different, and the key was different.

tilen said:
IMO,that version is a whole lot better and certainly more lucid rocknroll than this lame Vertigo tour one...

Did you even hear the vertigo tour version?
Obviously not. Lame- a word in dictionary that has a picture of elevation fly.
FUCKING AWESOME, GREAT-has Vertigo fly near

Vertigo fly is more dirty, rough rock n' roll

Elevation was cleaner and very much polished up.

I personally like the Elevation version better.

Miricale_Drug said:
Does anyone have this, IE the fly mixed down to one guitar. Im not so worried about the new prefixed sectio (go out into the sportshall etc) but more the tradition bit of the song.

thanks in advance david

The key was changed from E to A. So basically everything moves up 2.5 semitones or one string. So the main riff is now played using the A string and the solo on the high E string. During the chorus instead of merely singing his part (cause now Bono does it) Edge now strums F#m A D instead of letting the sequencers doing the job. Don't forget to use a Les Paul.

It was a great version, someone should do a backing track for it. And for the Vertigo version as well of course.

There are 5 semitones from E to A. There is one semitone from one fret to the next on a guitar. Just as there is one semitone from each key on a piano to the next.

I always thought the Zoo tv version of Fly was a bit tame compared to the album version. I think a lot of that came down to Edge stopping playing to do the falsetto vocals.The song seemed to loose some volume at those points

Elevation Fly he carried on playing chords over the chorus which
kept the songs volume up.

I havent tried playing this version for a while but i think edge may have used dropped D on the bottom E string which came in during the chord change during the main riff.It gives the song a heavier feel to it.

On the whole I think the Elevation version rocks big style. I love it when these guys let go with a song and really rock out. Others that spring to mind are Gone, Exit and I though Elevation version of I will follow was beefed up a bit too.

If he used drop d that would be out of key with the tune

Its based on the e octive and the song is normally tuned down half a step <semitone> apart from the Elevation tour version which was trasposed up to A

The same patterns on the guitar just moved up

This would also effect were edge was belting out the solo on the position of the neck and lead it to be slighty different in his phrasing

Back
Top Bottom