The Edge's new rig

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just saw a video from Dallas, he used the SG on Beautiful Day, Elevation, AND I Will Follow! Don't know if I've ever seen him use the same guitar 3 songs in a row lol

Im pretty sure he (kinda) did that on POPMART. they didnt perform that many songs on Popmart and he didnt have that many guitars then.

like, he used Fernandes Decade for 3 songs, which are Discotheque, If You Wear.... and WOWY

the only thing i don't like about SGs from these vids is that it sounds too heavy on the midrange and sound too nasally. Explorer sounds more open in that regard with more high ends.

Any example? Its top difficukt understand that

it's hard to explain and it could be all in my head but it feels like Explorer has more treble and chime, compared to his SG. it's just my feeling watching that vid where he actually used SGs for 3 songs.

from that pedalboard pic Im guessing that he's using JHS' Color Box, which is next to that mystery black pedal on the lower drawer. I mean i can see very small part of that blue knob, the picture on the pedal looks like a console, which was on Color Box.

what's puzzling now is how he uses that pedal; you can get anything from a pretty whacky DI-fuzz tone to nice warm tone associated with the analog console. do you guys have any idea how Edge's using one?

I'm honestly surprised Edge went for Rickenbacker for Get Out of Your Own Way. i know that solo/interlude passage was a bit jangly, but even then, 12 string sound wasn't something i imagined, somehow.,
Ive seen the band practicing on their instagram page and seems like Edge is using big pedalboard again (of course). i wonder whether he changed his rig between now and the last leg of IE tour.

right, even if there are some different effects, he can tweet that within the axe-fx rather than, like, pedals

Bad news for the Edge, Fractal is coming out with the Axe FX III!

http://www.fractalaudio.com/iii/

More then twice as much DSP! :drool::drool::drool::drool: Ever wanted to own an Axe FX but couldn't afford one? Now will be the time as people will be selling their old ones to afford this new brute. And poor Edge will have to recreate his patches all over again. Or will he keep a few? Like he did with the Pod Pro?

in a weirdest way they look like old early 2000s multi-effect/preamp that Rocktron used to have. hm

Im sure Edge has gotten the unit and made the preset before these info were released. i mean, he's Fractal artist now. if the processing power is that improved, he probably woudlnt need 4 of them, right?

Well, think about it, the processing power of all computers have increased dramatically since the days of MS-Dos or Win95. Are your computers and applications now running faster then back then? Of course not. Everything is still as slow as it used to be because the demands of a new OS and applications have increased as well.

Similarly for current demands the Axe III will run a lot smoother, but I'm sure artists will find a way to slow it down. Just like they did with everything else. The more you can do with it, the more you start doing with it. And I reckon Edge will still need 4. One for his main sound, one for shimmer, and two for backup. Because life on the road is always hard on gear. And maybe a few II's as well, as fromw hat I hear presets on the II can't be ported over to the III. So if he has a few sounds that he tweaked to perfection on the II he may feel he has to have one (or two (backup after all)) in his rig just for that. It's The Edge after all.

also I hear that they use IR for cab simulation so that part of amp sim acutally can't really be converted to Axe-FX III

Any captured IR should be able to be imported into any modeler worth its name, be it Helix, Kemper, Axe II or III. It's not dependent on the modeler itself. The exact effects chain of a preset however is dependent on the modeler itself. Thankfully there's a member on the fractal forum who has developed a tool that allows users to convert presets from the Axe I, II and AX-8 to each other. And he's says he's working on making it work for the III as well.

With the early adopters now in full shut up and take my money mode this could be your chance to get a cheap Axe II, Mack.

Back
Top Bottom