The Edge's new rig

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If the 2290 goes in he'd either need another rack, or remove at least 3 HE worth of other gear though. Maybe he removed the Axe-FX dedicated to replicating the 2290. Seems like a contradictory move though, as the whole point of this new rack system seems to be to get rid of old aging out of production technology.

As for the M5 doing Mysterious Ways, its not like the M9 or M13, it can only do one effect at a time. And from what I gather MW is very much a combination of effects. Not something the M5 can do on its own.

I still suspect they're common Axe-FX presets. Bob Bradshaw configures his controllers in such a way that the user still has direct access to each effect in every programmed preset. Since the Axe-FX is now taking over more of the burdens that used to be shared with different units it stands to reason that the most used features, delay and basic drives, now get their own direct access knobs as well.

Also what's the point of having four Axe-FX units in your rack when you're still going to use gear that it can model effortlessly?

The 2290 is gone...It's been confirmed it was only with the rack for A/B testing

Probably why "2290" is in quotes on the latest picture of Edge's midi controller

Is there an SDD-3000 built into the rack?

It looks like they have taken the front of an SDD 3000 pedal and put it into a 3-4 rack space unit.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Yes to both questions. A rather inefficient way to install the SDD 3000 pedal into a rack, a pedal drawer would have done the same in only a 2 HE space, but I guess they had both the room to spare and they wanted immediate access to the controls for Dallas during shows.

Tonight show with Fallon looks like the yellow SD-1 or OD-2 in the lower rack
im thinking more SD-1

64mt1t.png

Never thought of that Muad'zin. Only other red pedal
I can think of is his red dyna comp which is not been
In any of his rigs in a while infact Elevation tour and
Early promo shows and live8 am sure I last seen it.
But not 100% if its even that in the rig lol

Was at the opener last night. Mysterious Ways was played. I immediately guessed that the A3 was not being used. Did not have the low band filter sweep and grit of the original. My guess is he is using the Axe to emulate. It is passable to the untrained ear but did not sound as good.

Wow!

So.... MWays without the A3, TC2290 replaced by Axe, new amps replacing old warhorses, new guitars instead vintage only. This really is shaping up to be Edge's most radical sonical departure since The Unforgettable Fire. The dude is going out of his sonic comfort zone. No wonder he got lost a bit on that catwalk. :wink:

mysterious ways without the A3 :D Tibet freedom concert in 1997 he just used a
wah wah pedal and now all this new gear. i listened to 'BAD' on you tube from the
15th may show and if you hear it with a good set of headphones you can hear it
sounds slighty different from the 360 set up no doubt the new gear ect is a big
factor. Dallas still has his work cut out but prob just a little bit less now.

Wow!

So.... MWays without the A3, TC2290 replaced by Axe, new amps replacing old warhorses, new guitars instead vintage only. This really is shaping up to be Edge's most radical sonical departure since The Unforgettable Fire. The dude is going out of his sonic comfort zone. No wonder he got lost a bit on that catwalk. :wink:

i think something happened to the old Strats.

Enviado desde mi iPad con U2 Interference

When Edge fell off the stage on night one, which Strat was he using?

I think it was black, as far as I remember, but was it the original 'blackie'?

is there a pic for the three pedals on top of the piano?

not a huge difference when i mentioned 'BAD' i
just think with the new strats and modified SDD3000
pedal put into the rack theres a slight difference
from previous tour but still sounds Fab:D

i think something happened to the old Strats.

Maybe. Then again I'm hopeful that Dallas managed to talk some sense into him and leave them at home. Old valuable instruments shouldn't be subjected to the rigors of life on the road. Especially now that Edge has taken up becoming a stunt man as well.

Lately I saw a ton of live vids from the 360 tour and it seemed like half of those shows got rained upon. Some heavily, like the Moscow show. To see all those vintage guitars get rained upon, it makes my heart ache just watching that. Maybe it finally helped Dallas to convince Edge to leave them at home? Plus they also toured with Muse a lot during 360. And Matt Bellamy has no problems whatsoever touring with new guitars. He's ordered whole new batches of custom guitars for their new tour.

New Strats. New Telecaster (for 'California')... Edge is on the Fender board. Probably making use of that position by getting FCS make items for him.

Fados older guitars could have been retired due to wear and age, like the original Explorer.

Damage? Also possible as a lot of guitars saw a lot of rain on 360 tour. That extra wear and damage could have played a factor in changes.

But another thought is the idea of new, different and change. Once Edge A/B the old system of effects to the Axe, and found he could give new things a chance. So the fact that there are some new amps and guitars as well.... Makes sense to me.

I don't really care for Edge using tons of new guitars - he's on the board of Fender, so why not, right?

I was, in fact, expecting so much more replacements (I.e. I thought his LPs could've been replaced by some Gretsches or even some Jakcsons....ok, I'm just joking too hard on that one)

But I feel like Edge still doesn't have enough faith in one brand that he allows that to take over his rig like some artists like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai or Matt Bellamy like already mentioned.

Well, some people can do an entire 2 hour gig with one guitar. Others need a different one for each song. Whatever works for them. The former is obviously a lot easier from a logistical standpoint, the latter works great if you're incorporating a lot of different sounds and tunings. And some guitars just work better for certain kinds of music. Wouldn't want to do a death metal show using a regular Fender Strat or Tele. Nor would I want to do an intimate laid back ballad using a Gibson Les Paul or godforbid one of those Ibanez shred guitars. Although you can do it if you want to.

What differentiates the Edge and Matt Bellamy from the likes of Joe Satriani and Steve Vai is that the latter two are shredders and as such have gravitated to a brand that has become synonymous with shred guitar. Nothing wrong with that. What differentiates the Edge and Matt Bellamy is that Edge seeks out many different sorts and brands of guitars to suit the sounds he needs, whereas Matt just tells Manson to build him a new guitar to get the sound he needs. So I guess while Edge is on the board of Fender (how cool is that?) he's still not in the habit of telling Fender to build him the guitars exclusively that he needs. Even though its incredibly easy. Old habits die hard I guess.

is there a pic for the three pedals on top of the piano?

not a huge difference when i mentioned 'BAD' i
just think with the new strats and modified SDD3000
pedal put into the rack theres a slight difference
from previous tour but still sounds Fab:D

can anyona gibe me permission to can upload images from my ipad?

Enviado desde mi iPad con U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom