The Edge's new rig - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Even Better Than The Real Thing ??
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2015, 07:24 AM   #61
War Child

Local Time: 01:34 PM
or maybe Mysterious ways wont be played... time will say.. maybe they play acrobat, ultraviolet, the fly, uteotw

Enviado desde mi iPad con U2 Interference

Old 04-13-2015, 11:49 AM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:34 AM
I am more into the idea of MW not being played. Makes sense if they're gonna go for acoustic/rarity based setlist.

Old 04-13-2015, 05:34 PM   #63
War Child

The Edge's new rig

i remember hearing a lot of soundchecks in my city, barcelona in 2009 before beginning the tour where U2 was playing Mysterious ways in acoustic. and it sounded very good, lime drowning man

Old 04-13-2015, 05:41 PM   #64
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhound252 View Post
i remember hearing a lot of soundchecks in my city, barcelona in 2009 before beginning the tour where U2 was playing Mysterious ways in acoustic. and it sounded very good, lime drowning man

but at least that doesn't require A3. Plus, I really wanna hear the acoustic version of MW.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:41 PM   #65
War Child

Maybe i got any recording but i have to search a lot in the computer. The drowning man i got it in youtube.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:01 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I am completely change here here, but am I the only one who is kinda surprised that WH-1 made the rig?
Old 04-20-2015, 08:10 PM   #67
War Child

im not surprised... it's logical that the edge prefers the original sound instead the axe reproduction

Old 04-20-2015, 08:26 PM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:34 PM
The Edge's new rig

The WH-1 made it for the same reason he didn't go to the reissues - the original has a lower bit rate chip that offers up the grittier tone that he (and Tom Morello) have said that they prefer

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference
Old 04-20-2015, 09:15 PM   #69
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I know about Edge prefer the original, i just thought that if he's making this jump of implementing huge Axe-Fx rig, i thought he would possibly use harmonizer in Axe-Fx like Steve Vai. But I guess he, Tom Morello ( I've heard or seen tweets from him explicitly saying that "other versions suck"), and even Joe Perry are still the believer of WH-1.

So the "classic" mode on newer Whammy isn't for Edge? because most demos i have encountered said that those classic modes are the recreation of original whammy, or they just mean that classic mode is just monophonic mode.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:16 AM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:34 PM
The issue is the dirt. The original has a tone that none of the reissues quite get - as they have higher bitrate/cleaner sounding chips.

Sure it would be possible to get a Whammy out of the AXE. But it is too clean a tone. Edge likes the grit of the original.

Classic mode on the newer Whammy? To the best of my knowledge, it doesn't have the lower grade chip. I talked to Digitech about the WH-1 back in 2003. They said they don't make the WH-1 era chip any longer. The supplier that they got it from no longer makes it and there was no other supplier that made it.

They also said that they 'Have no interest in living in the past, even if professionals say they like the WH-1 in interviews'.

In short, the guy at Digitech as belligerent about the idea of replicating the sound of the original. That view could have changed since 2003. And that dork I talked to might not work for Digitech any longer. But if they don't have the chip needed to replicate the originals tone... chances are, any 'Classic WH-1' isn't going to exactly replicate the originals tone.

I've had a few A/B their reissue to my original. All thought there wouldn't be much of a difference. All walked away a believer, that the original sounds different, grittier and for those looking for Edge or Morello tones... better.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:06 AM   #71
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

"Classic" mode just refers to the mode where it's just for single notes rather than chords. Feels like they might have been emphasizing the fact that Whammy 5 has polyphonic function unlike any other Whammy.
No way they sounds alike especially when using foot pedal. I just thought that it was highly likely that Edge would make that compromise; well, i was wrong.

I just thought because lots of people like Nils Cline, Jack White, Steve Vai, and Joe Satriani are using later version of Whammy. again, I was wrong, Axe still can't match that imperfection.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:23 AM   #72
Refugee

I own two WH-1's, 2 WH-4's and a DT. Personally, while I think the WH-1 does have that nastier grittier sound, I don't think its worth spending 3 to 4 times as much for a vintage unit. Says the guy who has two. But that's because when you turn the preset knob on the WH-1 the changeover between sounds is perfect. Without a hitch. Which is perfect for some of the things that I do. Whereas with the WH-4 you get a glitch between changing presets. And this is one instance where glitchiness is something you don't want.

One thing the WH-4 does better then the WH-1 is speed. You can't play the solo to Muse's New Born with a WH-1. At least I can't. With the WH-4 however, no problem. It also has MIDI. Which means you can place it in a rack and remote control it. Or hook up a Molten Midi controller to it for some really insane sounds.

I guess it boils down that the original whammy and its successors, while doing the same things, are at heart different beasts. That one is not necessarily better then the other and which one you want to get depends on what you plan to do with them.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:27 AM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I've heard that Whammy V tracks so great, which sounds like a great thing to me, except we miss that WH-1 tone. I was hoping that glich-y tone and great tracking could coincide in future pedals. I know Edge doesnt really need speedy tracking for his songs, so i understand about him stuck ton WH-1
Old 04-23-2015, 10:01 PM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

People who heard the recent rehearsals said that they heard u2 practiced Mysterious Ways in Vancouver. Hm, so Axe CAN duplicate the sound! I know it may not survive the selection process, but, whatever
Old 04-24-2015, 05:05 AM   #75
Refugee

Then Edge has either snuck in an A3 somewhere or he truly is the genius of Axe-FX programming who succeeded where all the other tribute Edge's have failed. If they do play Mysterious Ways again I do hope he does the slide solo again. I missed that on the 360 version.