The Edge's new rig - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Even Better Than The Real Thing ??
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2015, 08:57 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:57 PM
alright, i didnt know that volume pedal can be expression pedal, which is for that new wah, I guess.

It could be that it is more like that rack-mount cry-baby thing, as they uses similar method of control. Except his rack-wah has no adjustment.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:14 AM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Guys, the official Axe-Fx guy on the Fractal forum implied that Edge is using both the amp sims and the real amps (or possibly only amp-sims). I guess only-amp sim option sounds highly-unlikely, but it feels surprising that he is going to use amp-sims (though...his Line 6 POD pro was for amp-sims, isn't it?)

Old 04-10-2015, 04:11 AM   #48
War Child

Local Time: 02:57 AM
The Edge's new rig

Bob bradshaw has said that he has two fractal (II and XL) for differents sounds, a thirth AXE only for shimmer and the last one is for crunch amp sims and replicate the TC2290. He'll keep using two Vox AC-30 and two Fenders in the stage
Old 04-10-2015, 04:24 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Im well aware that folks at Fractal are biased toward the amp-sims because they're the advocate of amp-sims from Axe-Fx and they're making these products. Decent number of people like members of Periphery, DJ Ashba from GnR, and etc are using Axe-Fx and go direct with amp&cab sims.

But, it's true that there are number of people who uses real amps in conjunction with Axe-Fx like Alex Lifeson, Steve Vai, guys from Animals as Leaders, etc.

So, yeah, I probably won't take that guy form Fractal too seriously, though they could be right that people are doing direct. or something.

here's the link to the forum i am referring to A few new shots of the Edge's 2015 rig
Old 04-10-2015, 04:34 PM   #50
War Child

Local Time: 02:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Again View Post
Im well aware that folks at Fractal are biased toward the amp-sims because they're the advocate of amp-sims from Axe-Fx and they're making these products. Decent number of people like members of Periphery, DJ Ashba from GnR, and etc are using Axe-Fx and go direct with amp&cab sims.

But, it's true that there are number of people who uses real amps in conjunction with Axe-Fx like Alex Lifeson, Steve Vai, guys from Animals as Leaders, etc.

So, yeah, I probably won't take that guy form Fractal too seriously, though they could be right that people are doing direct. or something.

here's the link to the forum i am referring to A few new shots of the Edge's 2015 rig

well, what i said are the words of the self bob bradshaw. maybe he knows what edge needs and want. you can see facebook of Custom Audio Electronics. there you can see everything

Enviado desde mi iPad con U2 Interference
Old 04-10-2015, 06:01 PM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I know, I've read a lot from CAE Facebook and argued about tone over last 10 years and stuff. And I know I would trust Bob more than anyone else. Or Edge and Dallas themselves
Old 04-11-2015, 06:02 AM   #52
Refugee

Local Time: 12:57 AM
Methinks some people are happy to go with the amp sims from their Axe-FX, others still prefer using their amps. Others have been using amp sims since the days of the first version of the Pod. In the end tone is a very subjective thing. Some people swear they can hear things that other people can't. Edge has always struck me as the kind of person who says he can hear things that matter. Otherwise he wouldn't take 20+ guitars with him on tour, stacks of different amps and all that other gear. There is nothing wrong with that if you're happy with the end result, although you have to keep in mind that your preference is both subjective and biased. Only a true blind test will determine which is better, otherwise your bias will always cause you to go with what you think is better.

So if you want to determine is better, the Axe-FX amp sims or running into a real amp, have somebody set up a blind test where you can't see what you're using while using a blind fold and have a go at it. It's the only way to get past your bias.
Old 04-11-2015, 03:39 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

sorry that I spark an argument....I wasn't really trying to, except that Fractal guy just seems like they're trying to convince people that someone as tone-nut as the Edge is ok with Axe-fx amp sims replacing some/all of his amps. and people in that thread has no idea about Edge's gear in the past time, anyways.

But I really cant distinguish the amp sims and real amps sometimes, probably i don't have ear that's good enough? (jk, probably even some pros can't hear it, i feel like)
Old 04-12-2015, 05:08 AM   #54
Refugee

Arguments are good, as long as they are done with respect. When selecting gear though you have to keep in mind that you will have a selection bias. So if you believe that tube amps are better, you will always have that perception when you a test between a tube amp and an amp sim. This is not a question of having a good enough ear or not, this is just how the human brain works. And the only way to objectively defeat that is with a true blind test. So no seeing what is being used and in what order.

Also, and this runs kind of contrary to that, if you like what you hear, it's good enough. Never buy anything based on what others tell you you should buy, only buy things based on what sounds good to you. If that is an amp, guitar or pedal that runs contrary to what the socalled tone-nuts are saying you should, well to bad for them.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:06 AM   #55
Babyface

Local Time: 08:57 PM
No Korg A3, I will be curious to see if that means no M Ways or did Edge find another solution?

We will see in time. Some people on YouTube have tried but I have yet to hear a sound close to the Korg A3
Old 04-12-2015, 03:21 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrobat14 View Post
No Korg A3, I will be curious to see if that means no M Ways or did Edge find another solution?

We will see in time. Some people on YouTube have tried but I have yet to hear a sound close to the Korg A3
I don't know about Mysterious ways sound, but it's true that all the gritty flange/phase sound can be replicated by the Axe-Fx.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:48 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

again, it's same issue as amp blind test, they've both got good sounds in it, probably that's why Edge's been using tons of them because they sound different.

A3 has good sounds, but somewhat useless when it comes to producing natural sounding effects (modulation, distortion, etc all sounds like old digital units with tons of coloration).
Old 04-12-2015, 04:25 PM   #58
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Again View Post
I don't know about Mysterious ways sound, but it's true that all the gritty flange/phase sound can be replicated by the Axe-Fx.
I'm sure that the Axe-FX can replicate a ton of sounds, but so far the Mysterious Ways has been unique to the Korg A2/A3 series. Many a tribute Edge has tried for years to get that sound from their Axe-FX, and they have come close, but still not there yet. And while I think Edge is a genius when it comes to sounds, I have some doubts that he has succeeded where all others have failed. Who had the Axe-FX for way longer then he has. I do think that Edge will not be satisfied with a sound that is like 90% there. He will want 100% or nothing at all.

I guess we just have to hope that Korg will do for the A-series what they did with the SDD-3000. Release it as a pedal. And who knows. If Dallas can get Korg to redo the SDD-3000, he may be able to get them to redo the A2/A3. In which case go Dallas!
Old 04-12-2015, 11:39 PM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I was really hoping that A2/3 reissue in compact casing. I also thought TC should make compact pedal for 2290, not like NOVA where quality isn't that good. I really would love if TC reissue that unit as it is golden delay .
Old 04-13-2015, 05:04 AM   #60
Refugee

As usual all the best things are no longer in production. And oddly enough rarely appreciated when they were (or are) still in production.