The Edge's new rig

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
or maybe Mysterious ways wont be played... time will say.. maybe they play acrobat, ultraviolet, the fly, uteotw

Enviado desde mi iPad con U2 Interference

I am more into the idea of MW not being played. Makes sense if they're gonna go for acoustic/rarity based setlist.

i remember hearing a lot of soundchecks in my city, barcelona in 2009 before beginning the tour where U2 was playing Mysterious ways in acoustic. and it sounded very good, lime drowning man :)

i remember hearing a lot of soundchecks in my city, barcelona in 2009 before beginning the tour where U2 was playing Mysterious ways in acoustic. and it sounded very good, lime drowning man :)

but at least that doesn't require A3. Plus, I really wanna hear the acoustic version of MW.

im not surprised... it's logical that the edge prefers the original sound instead the axe reproduction

The WH-1 made it for the same reason he didn't go to the reissues - the original has a lower bit rate chip that offers up the grittier tone that he (and Tom Morello) have said that they prefer

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I know about Edge prefer the original, i just thought that if he's making this jump of implementing huge Axe-Fx rig, i thought he would possibly use harmonizer in Axe-Fx like Steve Vai. But I guess he, Tom Morello ( I've heard or seen tweets from him explicitly saying that "other versions suck"), and even Joe Perry are still the believer of WH-1.

So the "classic" mode on newer Whammy isn't for Edge? because most demos i have encountered said that those classic modes are the recreation of original whammy, or they just mean that classic mode is just monophonic mode.

The issue is the dirt. The original has a tone that none of the reissues quite get - as they have higher bitrate/cleaner sounding chips.

Sure it would be possible to get a Whammy out of the AXE. But it is too clean a tone. Edge likes the grit of the original.

Classic mode on the newer Whammy? To the best of my knowledge, it doesn't have the lower grade chip. I talked to Digitech about the WH-1 back in 2003. They said they don't make the WH-1 era chip any longer. The supplier that they got it from no longer makes it and there was no other supplier that made it.

They also said that they 'Have no interest in living in the past, even if professionals say they like the WH-1 in interviews'.

In short, the guy at Digitech as belligerent about the idea of replicating the sound of the original. That view could have changed since 2003. And that dork I talked to might not work for Digitech any longer. But if they don't have the chip needed to replicate the originals tone... chances are, any 'Classic WH-1' isn't going to exactly replicate the originals tone.

I've had a few A/B their reissue to my original. All thought there wouldn't be much of a difference. All walked away a believer, that the original sounds different, grittier and for those looking for Edge or Morello tones... better.

"Classic" mode just refers to the mode where it's just for single notes rather than chords. Feels like they might have been emphasizing the fact that Whammy 5 has polyphonic function unlike any other Whammy.
No way they sounds alike especially when using foot pedal. I just thought that it was highly likely that Edge would make that compromise; well, i was wrong.

I just thought because lots of people like Nils Cline, Jack White, Steve Vai, and Joe Satriani are using later version of Whammy. again, I was wrong, Axe still can't match that imperfection.

I own two WH-1's, 2 WH-4's and a DT. Personally, while I think the WH-1 does have that nastier grittier sound, I don't think its worth spending 3 to 4 times as much for a vintage unit. Says the guy who has two. But that's because when you turn the preset knob on the WH-1 the changeover between sounds is perfect. Without a hitch. Which is perfect for some of the things that I do. Whereas with the WH-4 you get a glitch between changing presets. And this is one instance where glitchiness is something you don't want.

One thing the WH-4 does better then the WH-1 is speed. You can't play the solo to Muse's New Born with a WH-1. At least I can't. With the WH-4 however, no problem. It also has MIDI. Which means you can place it in a rack and remote control it. Or hook up a Molten Midi controller to it for some really insane sounds.

I guess it boils down that the original whammy and its successors, while doing the same things, are at heart different beasts. That one is not necessarily better then the other and which one you want to get depends on what you plan to do with them.

I've heard that Whammy V tracks so great, which sounds like a great thing to me, except we miss that WH-1 tone. I was hoping that glich-y tone and great tracking could coincide in future pedals. I know Edge doesnt really need speedy tracking for his songs, so i understand about him stuck ton WH-1

People who heard the recent rehearsals said that they heard u2 practiced Mysterious Ways in Vancouver. Hm, so Axe CAN duplicate the sound! I know it may not survive the selection process, but, whatever

Then Edge has either snuck in an A3 somewhere or he truly is the genius of Axe-FX programming who succeeded where all the other tribute Edge's have failed. If they do play Mysterious Ways again I do hope he does the slide solo again. I missed that on the 360 version.

think that his wife will dance in this song. she appear in the choreography in this tour.

i also believe he has programmed the song woth AXE + some stomp pedal

well, technically, if you nail the flanging down, you can just wah, right? i remember in 90s at Free Tibet Concert, Edge used wah to play MW.

Hahha yeah but that was a very improved version. I didnt like that. For a tour i think that will be the right version

Tibet Freedom Concert was sorta bad (in terms of sound quality and stuff) in general. I am sure that he'll have appropriate wah and flanging sound.

well, technically, if you nail the flanging down, you can just wah, right? i remember in 90s at Free Tibet Concert, Edge used wah to play MW.

You'd need a reverse wah sound though. Not something you can do with your average Crybaby.

And the Free Tibet Concert was done with like the most minimal set up since the War tour ever. Maybe others more knowledgeable about that particular show can explain but considering their minimum gear and only playing 5 songs it felt like it was a spur of the moment thing. Maybe they weren't even on the official bill. A secret gig. A band of that stature on the bill of a festival like that, the traffic chaos alone from hordes of U2 fans would be enough to cripple the festival.

I know i know, wah isn't so much same as the envelope filter sound. At least the typical ones anyway. But it feels like the bass wah that Dunlop has sounds like envelope filter but in a wah package, thou.

Has anyone see facebook page of U2NT. There is a picture of the edge's pedalboard. There appear all the pedals with lot of modifications. Last added pedals are Pod, Sobbat, Sd1, Fet, 2290 And more... Look there, i cant upload the picture here

whats the light to the right of the pedal board? It look like there is a red light at the tip

its curious to see formexample M5 whatss that?? and also Harmonic, 2290, and two SD1?? thats very curioues. maybe to play old songs?

its curious to see formexample M5 whatss that?? and also Harmonic, 2290, and two SD1?? thats very curioues. maybe to play old songs?

M5 is probably the Line 6 pedal, which is a convenient way to get all the Line 6 sounds in a small midi controllable package. And I know that Bob Bradshaw seems to be impressed with them. Harmonic could be the DBA Harmonic Transformer fuzz. Just as Siren is probably the DBZ Fuzz Gun. The previous pictures didn't show us a 2290 in his new rack, nor did we see any SD-1's. Unless they rack has been radically changed since , if I had to guess, they could be Axe-FX settings that are so common and often used they got their own buttons on the board. And while I don't have a Axe-FX to play with I do think it could easily nail the tones from the 2290 and the SD-1. The TS-9 as well, but I suspect that Edge's TS-9 is a Keeley modified one, so it has a different flavor.

I think Bradshaw commented om Facebook that one of the Axe-FX is strictly for replicating the TC-2290...that's probably what that TC2290 label is for on the controller

Back
Top Bottom