The Edge's new rig

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
words of Bob Bradshaw answering a question about digitech Dl8 in facebook. "Sorry..DL-8 just a place holder" and about de TC2290 officialy retired, the delay of TC2290 will be emulated with AXE FX XL #4, also words of Bob.

Enviado desde mi iPad con U2 Interference

Isn't Vemuran sort of fuzz because it's based on Rangemaster, the famous fuzz people used in 60s and it's kind of shaped like that.

EDIT: found out, it's versatile so if you roll the volume off, it'll sound like booster and if you turn up, it'll be classic germanium fuzz.

I guess having everything in one unit is very convenient. and if TC breaks (big if), then nobody can fix it properly 'cause it's out of production.
I agree with him on not using TC because it's easily replicated with any sort of good digital delay.

I was surprised to see that Edge replaced the 2290 alright, he's had them for years. But then again, the Axe pretty much covers all of his sounds.

I know the Delays on the Axe are great, I thought he could have replaced the 2290 with some TC D Two units, they are quite a good unit, and of course are the 2290's younger brother, and they are not as big, saving rack space.

Also interesting is that Edge now has his Stompboxes in a drawer, rather than on top of the rack. I suppose it must have been time consuming when they were on top, having to take them off and take all the cables out at the end of a gig,and then having to put them back on top and rewire it all at the next gig, now Dallas does not have to do that, because they are all connected to the CAE pedal looper/switcher permanently.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

If that delay is just a placeholder, we can just assume that not all of pedals shown wont end up in the thing

I know 4 axe-fx's are bit too much, thou I assume that everything is backed-up one way or another, so even pedals are for redundancy.

Also interesting is that Edge now has his Stompboxes in a drawer, rather than on top of the rack. I suppose it must have been time consuming when they were on top, having to take them off and take all the cables out at the end of a gig,and then having to put them back on top and rewire it all at the next gig, now Dallas does not have to do that, because they are all connected to the CAE pedal looper/switcher permanently.

Or..... far more likely, they just lowered the board onto which they were fixed to a flat position and put a cover over it. Like I can do with my rack. I highly doubt a single pedal was taken off after a show, other then to be replaced by a different pedal. The whole point of having these pro built rigs not just integration, its to facilitate changeovers. All your effect units in a casing that is easy to hook up before a show and easy to break down afterwards.

I suspect that the reason that the pedals were on top in a slanted position was so the guitarist could still have easy access to them during a live show. After all, rack units have presets, pedals generally don't. So some knob twiddling was to be expected. Since the trend however seems to be with guitarists to have their rig off stage with their guitar tech there is no more need to have pedals on top. Thus the drawers.

i have another question. the rack wah is a new one right? i think is a new built. cause the old one the xlr was connected in the fron and that is connected in the back because the wah pedal in the pedalboard has his cable that goes to the rack. well it goes to the lower rack the splitter or something and later i imagine that goes to the back

alright, i didnt know that volume pedal can be expression pedal, which is for that new wah, I guess.

It could be that it is more like that rack-mount cry-baby thing, as they uses similar method of control. Except his rack-wah has no adjustment.

Guys, the official Axe-Fx guy on the Fractal forum implied that Edge is using both the amp sims and the real amps (or possibly only amp-sims). I guess only-amp sim option sounds highly-unlikely, but it feels surprising that he is going to use amp-sims (though...his Line 6 POD pro was for amp-sims, isn't it?)

Bob bradshaw has said that he has two fractal (II and XL) for differents sounds, a thirth AXE only for shimmer and the last one is for crunch amp sims and replicate the TC2290. He'll keep using two Vox AC-30 and two Fenders in the stage

Im well aware that folks at Fractal are biased toward the amp-sims because they're the advocate of amp-sims from Axe-Fx and they're making these products. Decent number of people like members of Periphery, DJ Ashba from GnR, and etc are using Axe-Fx and go direct with amp&cab sims.

But, it's true that there are number of people who uses real amps in conjunction with Axe-Fx like Alex Lifeson, Steve Vai, guys from Animals as Leaders, etc.

So, yeah, I probably won't take that guy form Fractal too seriously, though they could be right that people are doing direct. or something.

here's the link to the forum i am referring to A few new shots of the Edge's 2015 rig

Im well aware that folks at Fractal are biased toward the amp-sims because they're the advocate of amp-sims from Axe-Fx and they're making these products. Decent number of people like members of Periphery, DJ Ashba from GnR, and etc are using Axe-Fx and go direct with amp&cab sims.

But, it's true that there are number of people who uses real amps in conjunction with Axe-Fx like Alex Lifeson, Steve Vai, guys from Animals as Leaders, etc.

So, yeah, I probably won't take that guy form Fractal too seriously, though they could be right that people are doing direct. or something.

here's the link to the forum i am referring to A few new shots of the Edge's 2015 rig

well, what i said are the words of the self bob bradshaw. maybe he knows what edge needs and want. you can see facebook of Custom Audio Electronics. there you can see everything

I know, I've read a lot from CAE Facebook and argued about tone over last 10 years and stuff. And I know I would trust Bob more than anyone else. Or Edge and Dallas themselves

Methinks some people are happy to go with the amp sims from their Axe-FX, others still prefer using their amps. Others have been using amp sims since the days of the first version of the Pod. In the end tone is a very subjective thing. Some people swear they can hear things that other people can't. Edge has always struck me as the kind of person who says he can hear things that matter. Otherwise he wouldn't take 20+ guitars with him on tour, stacks of different amps and all that other gear. There is nothing wrong with that if you're happy with the end result, although you have to keep in mind that your preference is both subjective and biased. Only a true blind test will determine which is better, otherwise your bias will always cause you to go with what you think is better.

So if you want to determine is better, the Axe-FX amp sims or running into a real amp, have somebody set up a blind test where you can't see what you're using while using a blind fold and have a go at it. It's the only way to get past your bias.

sorry that I spark an argument....I wasn't really trying to, except that Fractal guy just seems like they're trying to convince people that someone as tone-nut as the Edge is ok with Axe-fx amp sims replacing some/all of his amps. and people in that thread has no idea about Edge's gear in the past time, anyways.

But I really cant distinguish the amp sims and real amps sometimes, probably i don't have ear that's good enough? (jk, probably even some pros can't hear it, i feel like)

Arguments are good, as long as they are done with respect. When selecting gear though you have to keep in mind that you will have a selection bias. So if you believe that tube amps are better, you will always have that perception when you a test between a tube amp and an amp sim. This is not a question of having a good enough ear or not, this is just how the human brain works. And the only way to objectively defeat that is with a true blind test. So no seeing what is being used and in what order.

Also, and this runs kind of contrary to that, if you like what you hear, it's good enough. Never buy anything based on what others tell you you should buy, only buy things based on what sounds good to you. If that is an amp, guitar or pedal that runs contrary to what the socalled tone-nuts are saying you should, well to bad for them.

No Korg A3, I will be curious to see if that means no M Ways or did Edge find another solution?

We will see in time. Some people on YouTube have tried but I have yet to hear a sound close to the Korg A3

No Korg A3, I will be curious to see if that means no M Ways or did Edge find another solution?

We will see in time. Some people on YouTube have tried but I have yet to hear a sound close to the Korg A3

I don't know about Mysterious ways sound, but it's true that all the gritty flange/phase sound can be replicated by the Axe-Fx.

again, it's same issue as amp blind test, they've both got good sounds in it, probably that's why Edge's been using tons of them because they sound different.

A3 has good sounds, but somewhat useless when it comes to producing natural sounding effects (modulation, distortion, etc all sounds like old digital units with tons of coloration).

I don't know about Mysterious ways sound, but it's true that all the gritty flange/phase sound can be replicated by the Axe-Fx.

I'm sure that the Axe-FX can replicate a ton of sounds, but so far the Mysterious Ways has been unique to the Korg A2/A3 series. Many a tribute Edge has tried for years to get that sound from their Axe-FX, and they have come close, but still not there yet. And while I think Edge is a genius when it comes to sounds, I have some doubts that he has succeeded where all others have failed. Who had the Axe-FX for way longer then he has. I do think that Edge will not be satisfied with a sound that is like 90% there. He will want 100% or nothing at all.

I guess we just have to hope that Korg will do for the A-series what they did with the SDD-3000. Release it as a pedal. And who knows. If Dallas can get Korg to redo the SDD-3000, he may be able to get them to redo the A2/A3. In which case go Dallas!

I was really hoping that A2/3 reissue in compact casing. I also thought TC should make compact pedal for 2290, not like NOVA where quality isn't that good. I really would love if TC reissue that unit as it is golden delay .

Back
Top Bottom