The Edge's new rig

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah this seems to be totally different set of pedals compared to one of the shot of his pile of pedals (during SOI session).

I am also one of those guys who doesn't know any limit when it comes to gain but I use this power stack pedal from Boss which is actually pretty ballsy sounding so I guess I'm so satisfied with that.

I wonder what kind of gain pedal Edge is using now as it seems to be that he isn't so crazy about DBA pedals (Death By Audio as a concert venue is apparently dead: The Death of Death by Audio - The New Yorker), I'm wondering what kind of gain sound he's into. Seems like he's into less crazy distortion sound? not too fuzzy, have more body/low-mid, etc.

I think that Death By Audio was like Lovetone. Edge found a few things that worked for specific songs and then... he moved on to try other gear.

DBA makes great pedals. But I'm not surprised that there doesn't appear to be much represented in The Edge's rig.

The joke on DIY pedal forums was that the reason it was called Death by Audio was when you opened up one of their pedals you'd die from seeing their poorly designed and shoddy innards.

Methinks the reason they're no longer in Edge's rig is the same as why the Lovetone pedals are absent. Lovetone was used on Pop, DBA on NLOTH, both albums that U2 is now very hard trying to repress that they ever happened. Since they're not going to play any of those songs again, there's no need to put the necessary pedals in Edge's rig.

wait but weren't some Lovetone pedals in Edge's rig even in Vertigo tour? I can't really hear it but I remember he had 2 or so pedals from them.

I think DBA kinda focused too much on "weirdo" pedals and not necessarily what people can use. and recent boutique pedal makers like Earthquaker device have much better build quality so no wonder DBA is fading these days.

To be honest I am not surprised that Edge's pedal setup has changed a bit. We must remember that the pile of pedals from the SOI session video was probably changing. He could have tried a pedal, and then took it out in favour of another.

Also, that video was shot in early 2014, or even late 2013, so it's nearly 2 years old or could be even older at this stage.

I just really want to see a detailed list or video of all of Edge's gear, used in the studio and live, and I hope that comes soon, especially if they go out on the road again this year.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I actually wonder amps Edge uses in the studio. does he use his VoxAC30 or does he try other Ac-esque amps like matchless or Devided by 13? or does he even use weird amps like.....Silvertone? Spur?

yeah about pedals, there are so much competitions now and so many companies now that it's insane. I can't even decide which ones are better.

Just get a good all-rounder, accept that there will always be something newer and better around the corner and instead start making music. And who knows what magic tones you might unearth in what you have already? I daresay many if not most of the iconic sounds we now crave for got unearthed by musicians from stuff they were stuck with, not because they wanted it to have.

yeah surprisingly, I get very good sound out of my RP360, which is (cheap) Digitech multi-eff. sure distortion sounds are not so great and it has very limited functionality for expression pedal and knobs (I can't do that delay pedal knob twisting tricks that lots of people do) but except for that, i am hugely satisfied. Im sure this must be kinda similar feeling when Edge got Axe-Fx. I won't be surprised if his next record (SOE) or even SOI was tracked mostly without the actual amps.

wait but weren't some Lovetone pedals in Edge's rig even in Vertigo tour? I can't really hear it but I remember he had 2 or so pedals from them.

I think DBA kinda focused too much on "weirdo" pedals and not necessarily what people can use. and recent boutique pedal makers like Earthquaker device have much better build quality so no wonder DBA is fading these days.

Lovetone Meatball (Envelope Filter) and Doppelganger (Phaser) were in the rig during Pop and Elevation tours. They might have been there for Vertigo. I'm not sure what he'd have used them for...

I actually wanna know how Edge used Doppelgenger. 'cause I can hear that much phaser or weird modulation sounds in general in his sounds.

wait but weren't some Lovetone pedals in Edge's rig even in Vertigo tour? I can't really hear it but I remember he had 2 or so pedals from them. .

I found a pic of his Vertigo rig in one of my folders and it would appear both the doupleganger and the meatball were still part of his rig. I have no clue what they were used for but overall his Vertigo rig is pretty much the same as his Elevation rig, except for an extra AMS delay (used for shimmer) and the Skrydstrup controller replacing the Bob Bradshaw controller. So it might be inertia that kept them on his rig. Maybe they were planning to do some Pop material? After all, Discotheque (best version EVER) was performed a couple of times.

Even in pop mart era I can't really tell when he used phase. I can tell when he used Meatball (i.e. Please), however. Edge isn't necessarily the kind of guy who mindlessly uses modulation effect just to hide terrible/hideous tones, so I really wanna know how he uses these effects (even in his I/E tour setups, he has some vibrato pedals, which i can't really hear).

also it feels ironic that I'm talking about modulation effect while having picture of Small Clone as the profile pic.

Here is a pic of Edge's Vertigo rig, and yes, the Doppelganger and Meatball are both there. But still, I don't know what he could have been using them for.

set+the+edge+2.jpg

Edge15 that pic isnt showing up..could of been the pedals
were there incase they wanted to add songs from 'POP'
or unless either one was used as an addtion to a chain
Meatball auto-wah/filter.....Doppleganger Phaser/Vibrato

the doppleganger was on true bypass settting
and inverted wave

the Meatball was set on 'mid boost' probably more of
a auto-wah setting.full effect selected

the edges Lovetone big cheese from the Popmart tour
had it on the Cheese setting 'xtra fuzz'

Last edited:
I am waiting for clones for Lovetone pedals. I mean if they can clone Klon or bunch of other "popular" and "classic" pedals, they can resurrect Lovetone pedals, right?

Plenty of DIY clones of Lovetone pedals on offer. On the Madbean DIY pedal forum user alanp, who has designed pcb's for nearly every Lovetone pedal so far except the ringstinger is currently offering pcb's for the Flanger with no name.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=22250.0

The problem with Lovetone pedals is that they're massively complicated. They're not easy to build and not that easy to use. Too much options. It makes for an interesting build but for regular pedal board use less is more. In a live situation I much prefer a one knob pedal like the one in your avatar over a Lovetonelike multi-knobber.

as much as like the analog chorus sound of Small Clone (or emulation from my multi-effect), it kinda sucks that it doesn't have the depth knob. same as Phase 90, which actually sounds nice but the fact that it just has one sound is kinda....impractical.
But this is coming from a person who has always wanted Moogerfooger so........I guess I want my pedals/effects to cover many grounds. so greedy, I know.

I feel that something like Big Cheese or Brown Sauce clone would definitely sell. i might be wrong considering that fuzz pedals are dominating the indie pedal market and people tend to prefer familiar fuzz sounds like fuzz face, muff or tone bender.

Last edited:
I've never used a Small Clone, but I've got an earlier Buildyourownclone analog chorus, which was basically a Small Clone with a depth knob. 12:30 was usually my limit. Any more and its getting more into vibrato territory.The Small Clone does have a less/more depth switch, like the Small Stone, which is usually good enough. On the Small Stone I prefer the less depth setting, as opposed to the Phase 90, where depth fully on (factory setting) is usually the best setting. I really dig these 'this is the sound you're going to get' pedals, with rate control only.

There is a Big Cheese DIY kit out there and you can order boards for basically any Lovetone pedal on oshpark.com from the shared projects, except for the Ringstinger and the Brown Source. The former is probably considered too hard for most people and the Brown Source is probably the only Lovetone pedal to have not impressed anyone. There just doesn't seem to be any demand for it.

as I'm writing i remember that I actually use flange as chorus-esque modulation sound; every time I use chorus I think it sounds nice but it just sounds too 80s for my taste. or too Nirvana. and this is coming from a guy who wanted one of those EHX keyboard emulator pedal (Key9, I think) just for tri-chorus setting (that ti-stereo chorus that everyone in 80s used).

Have Edge used chorus for arpeggio or delay-filled passages? He certainly was the man of the 80s (and 90s) but I really haven't seen him using that much chorus/flanger except for couple of specific use (like MW).

Methinks he's getting plenty of chorus already from his modulated delay. Although there is no telling what amounts of studio trickery FX were applied during mixing, as I'm learning as our new EP is getting mixed.

As for Edge being a man of the 80's and 90's, considering that from 1984 onwards Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois were their producers I doubt that they and as a result The Edge subscribed much to the Big LA Sound that pervades most 80's recordings.

What I realize is that sometimes I confuse between doubling and actual modulation effect added by pedals/machines. and I know some artists (like Alex Lifeson) use chorus all the time (with low depth and very slow rate) to emulate the doubling effect live.

But I realized that even in non-LA/super-mainstream rock realm, lots of artists used chorus/modulation to help clean passages "stand out." I'm sure guys like Johnny Marr and John Squire used flange/chorus for arpeggio and delay to really create the atmosphere. but it's true that Edge isn't really using modulation effects a lot except for his delays. it's kinda reasonable considering that Edge was inspired by Television/Tom Verlaine &Richard Lloyd pair, who had amazingly dry guitar sounds (with almost no effect, I assume).

yeah studio trickery isn't something I'm too familiar with; I know decent DAW might help me do/simulate these techniques and might be able to study how to utilize them; I have experimented with Garageband for a while, and I realized that the possibility is kinda limitless especially using plugins. this was like first time I played around with synthesis. I even learn great deal of what artists do in studio from watching documentary about Def Leppard's Pyromania; Mutt Lange (producer) apparently made guitarists play one string at a time when playing chords (meaning that he wanted multiple tracks to build chords with guitars). and he replaced Rick Allen's drum part with drum machine, which.....is kinda heartless.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that Edge was inspired by a number of folks but didn't copy them.

He's said the same about his playing - that the biggest compliment a fan of his paying could pay is to find their own individuality on the instrument.

Gear-wise, he's copied a few things. A Strat as Rory Gallagher played one. A Les Paul because Steve Jones played one. A Rickenbacker because Paul Weller played them. But even in that, he didn't use those instruments to mimic their playing style.

Well, unless you look at that old footage of U2 playing 'Street Mission'. Seems Edge is channeling his inner-Rory on that solo. :D

What I realize is that sometimes I confuse between doubling and actual modulation effect added by pedals/machines. and I know some artists (like Alex Lifeson) use chorus all the time (with low depth and very slow rate) to emulate the doubling effect live.

But I realized that even in non-LA/super-mainstream rock realm, lots of artists used chorus/modulation to help clean passages "stand out." I'm sure guys like Johnny Marr and John Squire used flange/chorus for arpeggio and delay to really create the atmosphere. but it's true that Edge isn't really using modulation effects a lot except for his delays. it's kinda reasonable considering that Edge was inspired by Television/Tom Verlaine &Richard Lloyd pair, who had amazingly dry guitar sounds (with almost no effect, I assume).

yeah studio trickery isn't something I'm too familiar with; I know decent DAW might help me do/simulate these techniques and might be able to study how to utilize them; I have experimented with Garageband for a while, and I realized that the possibility is kinda limitless especially using plugins. this was like first time I played around with synthesis. I even learn great deal of what artists do in studio from watching documentary about Def Leppard's Pyromania; Mutt Lange (producer) apparently made guitarists play one string at a time when playing chords (meaning that he wanted multiple tracks to build chords with guitars). and he replaced Rick Allen's drum part with drum machine, which.....is kinda heartless.

BTW, I noticed that Edge removed Big Muff from his current IE rig, so.....muff wasn't the essential component of his sound, then?

No wonder Edge has no cred with other musicians. EVERY guitarist needs a Big Muff in his rig. :wink:

Wasn't the Big Muff used for Bullet the Blue Sky mostly from Zoo TV onwards? Considering that for that tour he created a bluesy solo for that song maybe he was after a Gilmourish tone, whereas the I+E version of Bullet has reverted back to the 80's slide solo. In which case exit Big Muff.

Which is a BIG mistake. Because EVERY guitarist needs a Big Muff.

actually, even Billy Corgan stopped using Big Muff; he uses preamps made by Salvation mods (bunch of pre-amps that model famous amps) and he switch them song to songs. basically he uses high-gain pre-amps when he wants that muff sound. i guess everybody doesn't need muff, then?

And how relevant are the Smashing Pumpkins these days, hmm? How many guitarists do you hear about that dig Billy's modern tone so much that they want those preamps as well vs. those who want that vintage IC Muff tone to get that old Siamese Dream sound? :wink:

EVERY guitarist needs a Big Muff! :wink:

And how relevant are the Smashing Pumpkins these days, hmm? How many guitarists do you hear about that dig Billy's modern tone so much that they want those preamps as well vs. those who want that vintage IC Muff tone to get that old Siamese Dream sound? :wink:

EVERY guitarist needs a Big Muff! :wink:

I started to re-listen to Siamese Dream and that guitar tone is amazing; i know it's layering (I remember one song had 40 or so overdubs just for the guitars? that's a lot) that makes this sounds full and all but the tone is golden. modern guitar tone, it seems like, is more about super-distorted 5150/Dual Rec. sound rather than fuzz pedal.
But I know everyone needs a big muff and I love the sound of muff emulation on my multi-eff ( i used it to emulate bit-crushed sounds Edge used to use in Zooropa-era).

BTW, do you know where Edge really used wah pedal in I&E tour last year? I know he had wah effect (I think Boss volume/expression pedal was labeled "wah") but I really can't find where he used wah that prominently.

I tried to like Big Muffs and derivatives thereof. Haven't found a single one I get along with.

I tried to like Big Muffs and derivatives thereof. Haven't found a single one I get along with.

I know it's definitely not for everyone and every occasion. plus, it's very dependent on the amps and guitars, i think; I only use it for very specific sounds or some particular time when I need good amount of sustain; i only have strats, so I need some help when it comes to gain or sustain.
it's also true that despite the fact that there were many famous people using early Muff, those guys are already using different pedals; certainly David Gilmour is using Tube Driver more than any pedal. also, Dan Auerbach from Black Keys is using so many kinds of fuzz pedals other than his original Russian Muff.

Back
Top Bottom