The Edge's new Fenders thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ok i just wonder because i keep seeing black strats with bunch of different necks and pick guard. and his sustainer strats have some nice silver color, I'm loving it.

Yeah I'm waiting for the Edge to have strats with bunch of active circuit wizardry with tons of on-board effects and tonal options. or something.

Yeah I'm waiting for the Edge to have strats with bunch of active circuit wizardry with tons of on-board effects and tonal options. or something.

Let's not expect the impossible. Right away that is. :wink: I think it's already revolutionary the dude has ditched his vintage gear for new custom gear. Methinks Edge's gear philosophy has always been a more gentle 'hmm, I wonder what kind of sounds I could get out of this?', vs. a more active 'I WANT CRAZY SOUNDS!!!'.

Check the signature on the headstock.

Not sure if t is a final version or a prototype.

Specs haven't been confirmed. I do know that the silver was an idea they looked at to change things up a bit. Like the Clapton signature Strats, it may be available in more than one color (maybe with a choice of maple or rosewood fretboard?).

Time will tell.

I didn't think they'd do it. I'd heard they were against the idea of a signature guitar. But like all of us, one can change their mind.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Last edited:
that looks like Edge's signature for sure

If I were Edge, I'd have signature model in every single Fender model including Jazzmaster and Mustang and all. Or even P-bass because....why not?

Last edited:
Check the signature on the headstock.

Not sure if t is a final version or a prototype.

Specs haven't been confirmed. I do know that the silver was an idea they looked at to change things up a bit. Like the Clapton signature Strats, it may be available in more than one color (maybe with a choice of maple or rosewood fretboard?).

Time will tell.

I didn't think they'd do it. I'd heard they were against the idea of a signature guitar. But like all of us, one can change their mind.

Do you think there will be some announcements from Fender about these? I mean, there will be winter NAMM soon and stuff so Fender should announce some thing

Unsure if a release date. I'm not sure if the one in the picture is a final version. It could be prototype.

I'd suspect that it would be shown at Winter NAMM IN Anaheim in January 2016.

We'll have to sit back and wait for more official info regarding release dates, price, specs...

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

but those sig strat looks like all of his 70s strats he's been using forever..........

Or does he have some unobtainium parts? or Dimarzio pups?

ok, and about Fender, Edge played his Blackie with rosewood fretboard on Magnificent, too bad he kinda ditched Gretsch.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but it may not be an Edge signature Strat, after all, he has used others in the past (Clapton? :hmm:). Nor does it mean it will be commercially released (Line6 rack Distortion modelers? :hmm:). Maybe the signature is just a loving after touch from the Custom Shop guys to the Edge.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but it may not be an Edge signature Strat, after all, he has used others in the past (Clapton? :hmm:). Nor does it mean it will be commercially released (Line6 rack Distortion modelers? :hmm:). Maybe the signature is just a loving after touch from the Custom Shop guys to the Edge.

that's what I initially thought, but....lots of other sig. strats have signatures on the headstock and i thought considering if they are gonna release the album soon, sig strat could be one of many ways to promote the album.

as much as I hate the idea of Edge sig strat, but I may like to know what kind of spec he actually likes on strat, which used to be kinda mystical in the past and for that reason, i possibly like the idea of Edge releasing sig guitar

that's what I initially thought, but....lots of other sig. strats have signatures on the headstock and i thought considering if they are gonna release the album soon, sig strat could be one of many ways to promote the album.

I dunno, how much of a publicity event is an Edge signature guitar to the vast majority of U2 fans and those who are inclined to buy a U2 album? Methinks to those people the release of such a guitar is a non-event. To the guitar players it would be an event regardless of an album release or not.

In the end though that iTunes snafu, love it or hate it, was a million times more effective in advertising a new U2 album then the release of any Edge signature guitar could be. And even there the effect could be even more limited. See below.

as much as I hate the idea of Edge sig strat, but I may like to know what kind of spec he actually likes on strat, which used to be kinda mystical in the past and for that reason, i possibly like the idea of Edge releasing sig guitar

Thing is though, Edge does not really have a signature guitar other then his 1976 Explorer. He is not David Gilmour with his famous Black Strat and his less famous Red Strat. He is not Rory Gallagher with his famous reliced down to nothing Strat. He is not Eric Clapton with his famous Blackie Strat. He is a user of Strats, but none have really become his signature guitar that is his mainstay on most of his recordings or shows. If anything he's the reverse. He's the guy who brings out a new guitar basically for every song. As such an Edge signature Strat is just an approved by The Edge Strat, not a copy of his defining guitar. It would be like an Adam Clayton signature bass, just something that Edge likes at this moment in time. Which can and will change any time he wants too. As Adam does all the time. Is that enough for me to drop 2x to 3x times as much money on one then I would for a regular Strat? No.

The only Edge Strat I would have given my left arm for to own was his Under a Bloodred Sky Black Strat. Man, I was really jonesing for that guitar back in the 80's. I REALLY wanted to have a guitar like that back then. But it was impossible to get one back then. There was no internet to look for one. A google search consisted of going to music stores and having them look through endless dealer catalogs which hopefully would produce a result. And even that was no guarantee. I once ordered a black Strat, with a maple neck and large CBS headstock. I specifically said that. Instead I got a black Strat, with a rosewood neck and small standard headstock. If disappointment could be turned into energy the Netherlands would have disappeared off the map. In a way it was logical though, as there were no Strats with large CBS headstocks in production at that time. Kinda hard to order what wasn't being made.

I no longer GAS for that black Strat. I have moved on in my tastes, I'm building my own guitars now. All that remains is a love for Strats with big CBS style headstocks, as all my builds now have that. I also don't think it still exists. At least not in the shape and sound it had in 1983. So suppose that Edge signature guitar would be in the shape of that black Strat, which version would it be? War era specs? UF or JT era specs? Modern specs?

What I'm pretty sure of is that Edge's sig strat won't be one of those "faithful replica" of any of his strats he's owned over the years. I know he does not like the idea alf those replicas (well he isn't using the LP Custom clone made by Gibson all that much) so I guess it'll be strats with Edge's specification. He's been playing strats with large headstocks and trem system with arm without the white cap thing. All of his current ones sounds pretty trebly, so it's probably......closer to CBS era winding? I'm not sure but i know pre-CBS strats sounded fatter than the later model. I wish I get those guitars for free and make them my signature guitars.

Anyway, I realized that so far, I only see one strat with his signature on the headstock (Black body with white guard), so i don't know what's the deal with that (meaning if he's testing multiple finishes and fingerboard options, I guess he should have multiple of "prototypes").

I have seen artists releasing signature guitars (either new ones or updates) whenever there are new albums or tours. I have seen Steve Vai did it a while ago, Joe Satriani did it pretty recently, and Chris Cornell did it when he released Scream. I know they're not as big as U2 so probably for Edge it may not make sense to release sig. as a part of album promotion. They better release HBO doc. soon, thou

(...) All of his current ones sounds pretty trebly, so it's probably......closer to CBS era winding? (...)

I would say he is not sounding trebly because of his guitars, effects or amps. It's the sound system on stage that is very trebly. Bono sounds also very trebly. But it is an old problem, that U2 got a bad sound live compared to other live acts.

What I'm pretty sure of is that Edge's sig strat won't be one of those "faithful replica" of any of his strats he's owned over the years. I know he does not like the idea alf those replicas (well he isn't using the LP Custom clone made by Gibson all that much) so I guess it'll be strats with Edge's specification.

I quite like the idea of a faithful replica. That at least is a snapshot of a moment in time of an iconic guitar that I would like to have. A signature made to specs, not so much. Those can change, probably with every album and/or tour. Just look at the Clapton Strats. Used to have Lace Sensors, now vintage noiseless. A faithful replica of the Under a Bloodred Sky Black Strat is special to me, a made to Edge's current specs Strat, just not so much.

Mind you though, the latter will probably be a hell of a lot cheaper then a faithful replica.

He's been playing strats with large headstocks and trem system with arm without the white cap thing. All of his current ones sounds pretty trebly, so it's probably......closer to CBS era winding? I'm not sure but i know pre-CBS strats sounded fatter than the later model. I wish I get those guitars for free and make them my signature guitars.

Anyway, I realized that so far, I only see one strat with his signature on the headstock (Black body with white guard), so i don't know what's the deal with that (meaning if he's testing multiple finishes and fingerboard options, I guess he should have multiple of "prototypes").

I have seen artists releasing signature guitars (either new ones or updates) whenever there are new albums or tours. I have seen Steve Vai did it a while ago, Joe Satriani did it pretty recently, and Chris Cornell did it when he released Scream. I know they're not as big as U2 so probably for Edge it may not make sense to release sig. as a part of album promotion. They better release HBO doc. soon, thou

Personally I would feel cheated though if I dropped a lot of money on a artist signature guitar and then said artist has his signature model changed. Which I know happens quite a lot with the Joe Satriani signature models. Maybe it should be like when you buy a major software package where you get the right to free upgrades when the program gets updated? Free factory swapover of pickups and electronics for all signature guitars for the win!

I would say he is not sounding trebly because of his guitars, effects or amps. It's the sound system on stage that is very trebly. Bono sounds also very trebly. But it is an old problem, that U2 got a bad sound live compared to other live acts.

One man's trebly is another man's clarity. Personally I like a sound where you can hear stuff as opposed to a sound that is supposed to sound so warm that it becomes muddy with bass.

Either that or U2's sound guy is finally getting deaf. It is said that you can notice when a soundengineer is suffering from hearing damage as he turns more and more treble into the mix. :wink:

But on my 4 shows this year U2 played completly without basses. I've heard Adam playing but I got no bass feeling.

Either that or U2's sound guy is finally getting deaf. It is said that you can notice when a soundengineer is suffering from hearing damage as he turns more and more treble into the mix. :wink:

I remember someone said Leo Fender in CBS era (late 60s to early 70s) asked employees to wind pickups brighter because he was going deaf and couldn't hear the high end.

I don't like the idea of "faithful replica" thing as soon as it involves relic'ing and all of those "we couldn't get them to sound right but it looks cool" territory. Im not even into those recent recreation of bunch of 59 LP from Gibson; call me hater, but they look like easy cash-grab for me

But on my 4 shows this year U2 played completly without basses. I've heard Adam playing but I got no bass feeling.

Could be a lot of factors. Deaf soundengineer, a general preference by the band for this kind of sound (as you suspect), but also crappy venues. In the end arenas and stadiums are designed for sports first and foremost, with rock concerts a general afterthought. So where did you see them?

I don't like the idea of "faithful replica" thing as soon as it involves relic'ing and all of those "we couldn't get them to sound right but it looks cool" territory. Im not even into those recent recreation of bunch of 59 LP from Gibson; call me hater, but they look like easy cash-grab for me

I always got the impression that Fender Custom Shop replicas were generally true to the originals. They've also been longer at it then Gibson. While I see the appeal of a replica that includes relicing to look like the original (after all, it's a replica) I'm not that anal about it myself. Such a guitar is more an exhibit piece, something to stick on a wall to admire, not to play with. Any signs of wear and tear on that guitar wouldn't be mine, but of the original artist. I'd also feel nervous to use such a guitar, as any new damage would ruin it in my opinion. And ruin resale value.

I do like what Fender did with their replica of David Gilmour's Black Strat. Which comes in reliced as the original, or completely unblemished as in New Old Stock. That way I would get a replica of that guitar I would have been lusting after, but as it looks fresh I could make it my own. It's probably somewhat in between a complete replica and a made to artist specs model, but that's what I would want.

Personally I'd prefer to make my own NOS replica that way. Firstly it would save a lot of money, but I could also customize a little to my needs. I generally prefer thin necks. If the artist however favored fat thick necks I'd be dropping a lot of money on a guitar that I wouldn't really enjoy playing. Plus its a lot more fun and rewarding. :wink:

Last edited:
Could be a lot of factors. Deaf soundengineer, a general preference by the band for this kind of sound (as you suspect), but also crappy venues. In the end arenas and stadiums are designed for sports first and foremost, with rock concerts a general afterthought. So where did you see them?

Berlin and Köln. In Berlin 3 positions: GA, Cat 1, Cat 2 under the roof.

I wish I can customize guitar myself (as Im planning to mod the shit out of my cheap Squier) but I have no intention of making it look like anyone else's. I guess for Edge's cases, it is a lot easier to replicate specs as he doesn't mess around with stock config. too much; that's kinda problematic, thou as his Explorer has weird pups that was special for that reissue.

Muad'zin, i get it when you(or even me) feel cheated when artists either 1) change the spec of sig guitars constantly over the years (just look at Steve Vai, Eddie Van Halen or even Paul Gilbert). or 2) don't use their sig. models too often or mod their sig models thus whatever they're using different from what's actually sold. This case, Jeff Beck comes to my mind as he's using custom-made stack single coil pickups rather than noiseless pups. Matt Bellamy kinda does that as well, as his sig. is Cort-made but he actually uses heavily-customized Manson guitars.

What's worse is that sometimes artists produce cheap/affordable version of their sig in Squier/Epiphone or whatever and don't use them!! what the hell

Last edited:
I wish I can customize guitar myself (as Im planning to mod the shit out of my cheap Squier) but I have no intention of making it look like anyone else's. I guess for Edge's cases, it is a lot easier to replicate specs as he doesn't mess around with stock config. too much; that's kinda problematic, thou as his Explorer has weird pups that was special for that reissue.

So, what are your customization plans then? I do love a good guitar modification. :applaud: It might inspire my next guitar build.

Muad'zin, i get it when you(or even me) feel cheated when artists either 1) change the spec of sig guitars constantly over the years (just look at Steve Vai, Eddie Van Halen or even Paul Gilbert). or 2) don't use their sig. models too often or mod their sig models thus whatever they're using different from what's actually sold. This case, Jeff Beck comes to my mind as he's using custom-made stack single coil pickups rather than noiseless pups. Matt Bellamy kinda does that as well, as his sig. is Cort-made but he actually uses heavily-customized Manson guitars.

I know that Tom Araya from Slayer's signature bass that is on offer is the exact same that he uses. No embellishments or upgrades for his own bass as he wants fans to have the exact same thing right out of the box.

In Matt Bellamy's case the Manson Mattocasters are not really heavily customized of an existing model, as he designed the shape, model and specs back in 2000 with Hugh Manson. Each is basically a true custom guitar. And whatever gets put inside changes with every tour. For a time he was into Fuzz Factories, then MIDI controlers and Sustainers, and now only Sustainers. The Corts are basically the budget versions of his main Manson workhorse, without the Sustainer. From what I get he even uses a few. Probably when he fancies a bout of guitar smashing. :D

And Manson does offer limited signature runs of some of Matt's guitars. He even used one or two as a back up. Usually after one of his custom guitars got too much damaged during his guitar smashing antics. They do tend to cost about ten times as much as a Cort though. But then you get the whole shebang. Man, do I fancy a signature copy of the Red Glitter. :drool::drool:
But at almost 4000 pounds, kinda steep. I could probably build 5 clones for that price myself if I wanted too. I did once see a guitar player in the Netherlands who had a Manson Mattocaster, basic one though. And surprise, surprise, he played some Muse songs during their show.

What's worse is that sometimes artists produce cheap/affordable version of their sig in Squier/Epiphone or whatever and don't use them!! what the hell

Well, they're really for fans who do not have deep pockets. Not everyone can drop a few thousand on an artist signature series guitar. Seen from that way I can at least applaud that they would like their signature guitars to also be available in a budget friendly price range. The way I see it as long as the wood and hardware are okay they would make good upgrade models to get them there 100% of the way. Especially in the case of the Matt Bellamy Corts, as the Mattocaster body shape is a little different from the Telecaster. Save some money for some Bareknuckle pickups, a MIDI kit and a Sustainer and you pretty much have what you want. Minus that Cort logo on the neck of course. But even that can be fixed. :wink:

If i could I am trying to swap all the "cheap" aspects of Squier, namely pups, necks (well i think neck is actually pretty damn fine but I might want taller frets) and pots. i have asked bunch of questions about pups because I kinda needed idea to replace one with better ones. I know Edge hates (or avoids) super-high output pups for very obvious reasons. I know tone of high-power pups aren't ideal for his rigs (often compressed, saturated, or even artificial sounding). But i kinda want noiseless yet high power option so it may be that i just need some Dimarzio rail pups. about pots, i guess i should just put high-grade ones with low noise.

Im still thinking about replacing this cheap bridge with better one but...........i guess that'll really be something i can't do such as routing body (possibly). I want something that can be set to floating/can go up/down. that's why Music Man or G&L sounded so much better than Fender because those companies offer floating trem as a stock option at lower price.

Last edited:
yeah and i totally forgot about the fact that Matt originally had commercially-available sig guitar from Manson.

Last edited:
ok i have watched couple of videos of recent shows (where setlists are.....bit static, if you ask me), and I realized that Edge often switch it up. for instance, he's been mostly using black body, back guard strats with rosewood fingerboard for Bullet. makes sense, as that guitar seems to have slide holder. i mean he's been using one for a while now since the beginning of the tour (US leg). but i saw today's performance and he was using strat with his signature on it (back body, white guard, and maple fretboard). i didn't hear too much tonal difference, so i guess all of Edge's new strats don't have radically different specs.

So.....can you guys make some list of strats he's used over the course of IE tour 1st&2nd legs? I have seen tons of different ones and I kinda want to keep track of what they are.

Back
Top Bottom