The Edge Strats in 360"tour - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Even Better Than The Real Thing ??
Click Here to Login

Old 03-07-2015, 05:52 PM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 08:08 AM
The Edge Strats in 360"tour

I don't if we have talked abou that but i have a question. we know that for the last legs of 360, the edge used strat for MOS and was a sevond black white strat. the question is why he used a second guitar with the same tuning instead of using the main black white strat? did you aprecciate a difference in the sound. i know he uses the neck PU

Enviado desde mi iPad con U2 Interference

Rockhound252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:04 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:08 AM
I'm no expert but Im sure one is half-step down and one is in standard, aren't they?

Mack_Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:23 AM   #3
War Child

no. two guitars were in half step. the only standard was the blackie.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:25 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Hm, how often does the Edge change guitar due to tone difference? I mean, I don't think he does that a lot in terms of changing kinds of strats.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:57 PM   #5
War Child

The question i have is that he uses the neck PU but it sound so broght, to me, compared to the strat 2 on the neck pos in Bullet for example or love rescue me in the 360
Old 03-08-2015, 08:35 PM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 06:08 AM
I'm suddenly reminded of that interview, was it on the BBC, or in that movie with Page and White, where he was being asked if he really needs 20+ guitars and says they really do sound all different.

I had two almost identical Strats once. Same model, no discernible difference between the two of them, got them around the same time. I ended up preferring one over the other, so to me there was a difference after all. Not enough to bring them both out on the road as I don't think they were sonically that different. But Edge seems to think such differences matter. Is he too anal about that? For most people, probably. But then again such attention to detail is probably why he's so good at crafting all his varying sounds.
Muad'zin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:57 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muad'zin View Post
I'm suddenly reminded of that interview, was it on the BBC, or in that movie with Page and White, where he was being asked if he really needs 20+ guitars and says they really do sound all different.

I had two almost identical Strats once. Same model, no discernible difference between the two of them, got them around the same time. I ended up preferring one over the other, so to me there was a difference after all. Not enough to bring them both out on the road as I don't think they were sonically that different. But Edge seems to think such differences matter. Is he too anal about that? For most people, probably. But then again such attention to detail is probably why he's so good at crafting all his varying sounds.
I understand that 70s guitars didnt have consistent quality, so sounds might be different between guitars. So...one of them might sound bright/darker than the others?
Old 03-09-2015, 12:23 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Very true.

1970's were a difficult time for a lot of guitar manufacturers, Fender included.

Fender were in mid-CBS era and consistency was an issue. Gibson was having issues. Baldwin-era Gretsch were inconsistent.

One might argue: Edge used 1970's Fender and Gibson's. That doesn't make 1970's era guitars great. It merely means he found the diamonds in the rough, and as they were not the most desirable vintage, he got some pretty great deals.
Edge_Orchestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:00 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I mean, if 70s Fender/Gibson has inconsistent choice of timber (certain wood is overly heavier than the others) sounds like those guitars should sound so different from each other. So, it might make sense that the Edge might like one of the 70s strats than the others. We don't see it because they're in same colors and specs are very similar superficially.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:32 AM   #10
War Child

yep. and also i remember that in the first legs of 360 he used the grestch in the bridge pickup and later strat in neck pickup, and the sound is similar in both

Old 03-11-2015, 02:02 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I personally loved Gretsch tone better than strat. tone as strat sounded too harsh in my taste. Or it just could be that I just love when the Edge uses Gretsch guitar in non-country way.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:14 AM   #12
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge_Orchestra View Post
Very true.

1970's were a difficult time for a lot of guitar manufacturers, Fender included.

Fender were in mid-CBS era and consistency was an issue. Gibson was having issues. Baldwin-era Gretsch were inconsistent.

One might argue: Edge used 1970's Fender and Gibson's. That doesn't make 1970's era guitars great. It merely means he found the diamonds in the rough, and as they were not the most desirable vintage, he got some pretty great deals.
Could it also not be that those guitars were the ones available to him in his early days, so he made them work and grew accustomed to them? I'm pretty sure that 50's and 60's guitars also cost a small fortune in the late 70's, when he first started shopping for guitars but his guitar budget was a lot tighter then. So he got what he could afford back then. And I've read that the Edge has stated that the reason he played so much on the high strings back then was because the low strings sounded awful to him on the Explorer.
Old 03-11-2015, 08:21 AM   #13
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_Again View Post
I understand that 70s guitars didnt have consistent quality, so sounds might be different between guitars. So...one of them might sound bright/darker than the others?
True, but the same still applies today. Even with good quality controls you get two guitars from the same production line and series and they will still not sound exactly the same. Maybe not as profound but chances are you will still prefer one over the other.

As for my two Strats, they were made in Japan and I think not made in the 70's. Kinda hard to check as I lost one of them.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:06 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

yeah, I kind of want to go away from the thoughts that he likes 70s strat sound because he uses bunch of strats that don't even sounds like his original "blackie." I mean, he's using sunburst strat from 60s, and he's used EC strats with lace gold (which was meant to be throwback for 50s fatter Fender PUPs), and some superstrat-like Fernandes guitars. I think I'm just listing what I know, aren't I?
Old 03-12-2015, 04:37 AM   #15
War Child

Yep. i'm pretty sure that the difference will be in the electronics. The question is what dfferences