The Edge and the Axe Fx2.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrisn1

The Fly
Hi everyone'
I have been lucky enough to buy myself an Axe Fx2 this week' not had the chance to try it out yet' I have just read that Edge is getting into these at the moment' maybe I have fallen for the hype but do you think it justifies selling all my other gear off (Korg A3' Korg SDD300/2000' Boss FA-1 etc etc) I just want a smaller less complicated rig' but still be able to recreate some of Edge's classic sounds' how close can you get to the "Real Thing" (sorry for the pun) with this magic box! I suspect the Axe 2 will be all over the new album' would love to hear from any experienced Axe users' its still nice to have the Korgs though' they are U2 icons in their own right I suppose.....

Hi everyone'
I have been lucky enough to buy myself an Axe Fx2 this week' not had the chance to try it out yet' I have just read that Edge is getting into these at the moment' maybe I have fallen for the hype but do you think it justifies selling all my other gear off (Korg A3' Korg SDD300/2000' Boss FA-1 etc etc) I just want a smaller less complicated rig' but still be able to recreate some of Edge's classic sounds' how close can you get to the "Real Thing" (sorry for the pun) with this magic box! I suspect the Axe 2 will be all over the new album' would love to hear from any experienced Axe users' its still nice to have the Korgs though' they are U2 icons in their own right I suppose.....

One can get 99.9% of Edge's tones with the Axe FX. You don't really need the other items, for the most part. This is why many tribute Edge's went to the Axe FX then Axe FX Ultra and now the Axe 2.

I worked as a tech for a tribute Edge. I was talking to Dallas about the Axe. I told him I'd send him info and links to the Axe and the other downloadable speaker sims that we were experimenting with in the tribute I worked with.

This was 2010, when tour dates were cancelled due to Bono's back issues. At that time, Bono and Edge went back into concentrating on Spider-Man musical.

Seems Dallas followed up on the info I sent. By the time of the Spider-Man rehearsals, the guitarists in the production were using Axe units - which if memory serves - Edge and Dallas programmed for them.

It also wasn't a surprise to me, when word was leaking that Edge was using Axe FX in sound checks -A/B testing tones against his traditional set-up.

Back to your original question. A the delays in the Axe are good. I'm sure you could get great Edge tones without the SDD 2000 or 3000. I've heard the Axe cop every A3 tones, except Mysterious Ways - but I've heard some clips of folks getting closer and closer.

The Axe will be more reliable. The Korg units are old. They're not bulletproof.

If Edge goes Fractal Audio Axe FX for the next tour, I could see him using a far smaller rack, maybe keeping his SDD3k, as he loves that unit. He might keep a chain of pedals too - but the rest being 2 or more Axe FX.

Why some pedals!? Some are distinctive and not easily copped by the Axe.

Thanks EO'
The sounds I have heard especially Mick from UF are incredible that he has created on the Axe Fx' its a piece of equipment I intend to really get to grips with and learn' and not to expect a quick fix to "Edge-Land" but to understand it and apply it to my own music' but to also have a bank of classic U2 sounds at my fingertips' I'm sure Edge will always bring out his favourite pieces of vintage kit when he's recording' from what I can tell the Axe Fx is pretty much able to recreate practically any guitar sound' so its down to the players imagination and time with the unit to really get the best out of it' looking forward to the journey' I just don't think i can bring myself to sell my SDD3k just yet...

Thanks EO'
The sounds I have heard especially Mick from UF are incredible that he has created on the Axe Fx' its a piece of equipment I intend to really get to grips with and learn' and not to expect a quick fix to "Edge-Land" but to understand it and apply it to my own music' but to also have a bank of classic U2 sounds at my fingertips' I'm sure Edge will always bring out his favourite pieces of vintage kit when he's recording' from what I can tell the Axe Fx is pretty much able to recreate practically any guitar sound' so its down to the players imagination and time with the unit to really get the best out of it' looking forward to the journey' I just don't think i can bring myself to sell my SDD3k just yet...

Mick is a good example. Mick can plat shows wit an Axe, amp and a few guitars.

It's great and fun to have all the toys. I have spent time and money searching out the exact gear. But tone starts with your hands, a decent guitar and a decent amp.

Some will complain: But the Axe is so expensive. Meh. It's no more expensive than collecting all of the other exact or alternate gear that Edge uses.

the Axe IS 99.9% Edge-in-a-box.

And no one say because you bought an Axe that you HAVE to sell the SDD 3000. ;-). But you might find, in time, that you can get all you want from the Axe.

The only issues we had w/ the Axe... And keep in mind the tribute Edge I worked for has the original version... And we're talkin 3 years back - but we both didn't like the drives. So we used the Axe for everything but the drives - we used various pedals for the drives. At one point we had a Line 6 M13 (for drives only).

But from all I've heard, it seems the Axe 2 has improved in all areas - drives included.

Plus, you can use the software and set tones through your computer... I'm not surprised that, after looking in to the Axe FX, that Edge and Dallas are heavily considering it for future tours. It will be interesting to hear how much of the new album came from the Axe primarily or the Axe in total.

Time will tell. But I wouldn't be surprise to see a single vs. the double sided rack.

I could see the use of 2 to 4 Axe FX, 2 SDD 3000 (because I don't think he would stop using that unit) Some pedals on top or in a pedal drawer (or two).

I think for Edge, it isn't lets use a ton of stuff. I think it has been I need this to get this sound. If the Axe, to his ears, can cover it... then less gear can be used.

Time will tell.

i hope edge keep using hyper rack!

Back
Top Bottom