The Digitech Whammy pedal - what songs does Edge use it on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hatrickpatrick

The Fly
I just saw an interview quote from Dallas saying that one of Edge's favorite pedals is the Digitech Whammy pedal - but what songs does he use it on? I have a digitech RP200A which includes the whammy processor and I've been looking for songs which use it - I thought Edge usually uses a brass slide to get that sound, rather than a pedal?

Edge uses whammy for the 747 sound in Mofo and Gone, the intro to Even Better than the Real Thing, the part right before the bridge in Beautiful Day, Do You Feel Loved (live),

It is used on

Even better than the real thing
Hold me thrill me kiss me
Mofo
etc..

At the begining of Even better than the real thing you hear a sweeping octave wah that the edge plays..Edge only uses the original whammy which is like $500, he doesnt use the new one because the new one has more effect choices that he doesnt need, the new whammy sounds almost exactly the same as the Edge uses it..I like the whammy a lot but I don't own it...

Wow I never would've suspected Beautiful day of all songs, I always assumed that was just a simple +2 octave shift...

Thanks for the info!

i didn't know edge used it at that part of beautiful day! did he use it live too or just recording?

At the begining of Even better than the real thing you hear a sweeping octave wah that the edge plays..Edge only uses the original whammy which is like $500, he doesnt use the new one because the new one has more effect choices that he doesnt need, the new whammy sounds almost exactly the same as the Edge uses it..I like the whammy a lot but I don't own it...

Actually, what I've read is Edge likes the Original WH-1 because of the analog 'sweep' sound of it when you rock it back and forth. The newer ones have a more digital sound.

Songs a whammy has been used on:
Even Better than the Real Thing
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Mofo
Beautiful Day (bridge)
Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own (outro)
Original of the Species (Conan O'Brien)

Hi,

He also uses it on the solo of "When I Look At The World" and "Peace On Earth" - see Guitar Player Jan 2001:

GP: You were the first guy a lot of people heard use the Whammy pedal. What attracted you to that effect.

Edge: It was just such a dramatic, extreme effect. That being said, there are very subtle, beautiful things you can do with it. I used it on "Peace on Earth" for this bizarre, atmospheric, almost Chinese-sounding part. It's a 5th below and a 4th above.

GP: You use the Whammy pedal in a more extreme way on "When I Look at the World".

Edge: Yes. In the middle solo, I'm using it with an echo in the choruses.

Darren

Yeah I saw also woundering is that was just the whammy to get that sustain..Do you know which effects do the sustain and compression?

If I did I would be scouring Ebay to find it. I suspect it could be the red compressor pedal from MXR

From http://www.geocities.com/bbbruce5/page5.htm

popmart setup
Left rack
Furman PC
SDD3000
Korg A3
SDD3000
SDD3000
TC2290
Digitech 2101
Rocktron Replifex
Digitech 2112
Korg A3
SPX90
TC2290
SDD2000
Infinite sustain

Right rack
Furman PC
Eventide H3000
SPX1000
Ams Interface
AMS Delay
Alesis datadisk
Interface

left rack pedals
lovetone doppleganger
lovetone meatball
lovetone big cheese
EH Hot tube..pearl EQ

right rack pedals
boss OD-2..boss SD-1
boss FA-1
mxr dyna Comp
EH big muff.TC Para EQ
boss TU12 Tuner

floor stuff for popmart
Digitech WH1 Whammy x 2
Dunlop fuzzface
535q wah wah
Boss vol pedal(shimmer etc)

info from Sound on Sound Mag

I use +2 octaves for EBTTRT. It's the most used setting for U2 songs that use pitch shifting. You could use the same setting for HMTMKMKM, although I usually prefer +1 octave. Just experiment and use your ear to hear what works best.

I just got a Whammy today, and when I use it, it has a very weak sweep...Does anyone else have this problem? does anyone know how to solve it?

is it a Digitech? what do you mean by 'weak'? i know that Digitech whammy's are pretty damn good, so i bet you could get the sound with a little tweaking.

Yeah it's the digitech...It really is awesome, but when I sweep it it doesnt sound like it has enough sweeping power like Edge has it on his songs..

Hmm...I just tried some distortion and it sounded better...Thanks! And yeah, 2 octave..

Back
Top Bottom