that 'big guitar' sound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U

U2tejas

anyone know which guitar edge uses (and how he makes it sound that way) toward the end of 'Your blue room' and also on 'in god's country'? It's got kind of a big, wide open, 'western twang' feel to it...it's always been one of my favorite guitar...um, pitch? tone? not even sure how to really describe it...but it gives me goosebumps every time (sorry, i'm a guitar novice, but love pretty much anything the edge touches).
thanks...

Pretty sure Edge just uses his regular Stratocaster for In God's country, no clue for Blue Room, but that has been his standard guitar type over the years, so you probably cant miss with the Fender Strat. Now i'm wondering why I dont have one yet...

Yeah,

I know what you mean regarding the tone in Your Blue Room. If I remember rightly Chris Issak uses a similar guitar sound in Wicked Game. I love it to and any help would be appreciated. Your Blue Room is one of my favourite guitar solos from Edge..it takes you some place out

[This message has been edited by ACROB@T (edited 06-02-2001).]

the solo in Your Blue Room sounds like a semi hollow body gibson or maybe gretsch.
(think of the guitar he played in the Desire segment of Rattle & Hum.)

Edge's tone is amazing and the combinations of guitars, effects, and mic techniques he uses in the studio is almost unfathomable.

generally, his 80s strat tone used delay, reverb, and compression. Lanois said they like to record his amps in narrow, tall rooms to acheive the airy sound.

i'd love to know more about this...

It's all about the picks. That's all I will say...find out the rest for yourself.

Ic an vouch for lemonator...edge gave me one of his blue picks and I was able to track down the make and model and order some....changes the sound more than I thought it would

Lemonator said:
It's all about the picks. That's all I will say...find out the rest for yourself.

does this "about the picks" have something to do with the non-pointy side? a friend of mine gave me a copy of a guitar magazine from 1985 with the edge on the cover, and he was talking about not using the pointy part of the pick.

IWasBored said:

does this "about the picks" have something to do with the non-pointy side? a friend of mine gave me a copy of a guitar magazine from 1985 with the edge on the cover, and he was talking about not using the pointy part of the pick.

no the actual pcik he uses is a factor as well.

what's the thing with the picks then? i know they're blue (i can see that much) but i know that the colour isn't going to have anything to do with the sound. thicker picks=different sound than thin picks. that's all i know. enlighten me?

The picks Edge uses are from Germany and they are nylon picks with dimples on the side where you would normally grip the pick with your thumb and index finger. Edge actually hits the strings with the dimples, causing a chingy-type sound when the bumps scrape across the strings. In combination with delay you can obtain a VERY Edge-like sound . You don't need the exact Herdim picks from Germany - Jim Dunlop makes nylon picks with dimple grips that work very well (I own Herdim picks as well).

Back
Top Bottom