Technical musical question about WGRYWH...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
Ok, I have a technical question about WGRYWH...what do you call the following part of the song? It seems too long to be a bridge but musically it's totally different from the normal verses...is there a name for this?

The deeper I spin
The hunter will sin for your ivory skin
Took a drive in the dirty rain
To a place where the wind calls your name
Under the trees, the river laughing at you and me
Hallelujah, heaven's white rose
The doors you open, I just can't close

Don't turn around
Don't turn around
Don't turn around
Your gypsy heart
Don't turn around
Don't turn around again
Don't turn around
And don't look back
Come on now love
Don't you look back

I'd guess
Bridge (ahhh....the deeper I spin)
Verse (don't turn around....) could be called a middle 8
Pre-Chorus (come on now love....)

really the whole thing could be called a bridge or a middle 8, even if it's more than 8 bars, which it is. As far as I know it's a pretty loose vernacular and 'middle 8' is really a rock and roll term.
Bridge is defined as something that conencts a song together, so as I said the whole thing could be accurately called a bridge.

If I were to do a version of the song, I'd label the sections as I did up top. I do that to create the drum parts and such for the song. "Don't turn around" could be a middle 8, as it's 8 bars until it's hits "come on now love", and some people describe middle 8 as a harmonious part of the song. It's the verse guitar and bass, so I call it verse. :wink:

"Deeper I spin" to "I just can't close" is definately what I call the bridge. The "don't turn around" has the chords of the chorus so I'm not sure what you might call that other than the "don't turn around" bit. The "come on my love" is definately what I'd call the pre-chorus.

Back
Top Bottom