Sunday bloody sunday sound guitar setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

a.cristian

Babyface
Hello everybody,
i'm new here and i just want to share my passion for U2 .

maybe many of you probably know everything about Edge sound,
i found so hard in the years to trying to get that "touch"... then finally something happened :)
my set up it is composed as follows:

2 ampli, (i've got only one vox ac30)

the Fender Strato in the bridge position and setting the tone to 7/8

then i've got many pedals but for sunday bloody sunday you need to send the signal to a memory man and split the signal , direct out to the vox and echo out to the other amp.

the signal that goes out from direct out go to an super overdrive boss sd-1 and then to the vox amp

instead the signal who goes out from echo out of the memory man go directly to the second amp.

in other word i use the memory man as split for the two ampli, and the modulation set in the memory man create an very powerful phases of the sound that approaching to Edge sound.

here attached some pics of my setting.

Ps: don't forget herdim's pics :lol:
Greetings from Italy.

sorry for my english:huh:

Attachments

• IMG_2444.jpg
    IMG_2444.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2445.jpg
    IMG_2445.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2441.jpg
    IMG_2441.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2446.jpg
    IMG_2446.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Looks good. On the album, he doesn't actually use any delay, funny enough (anywhere on the album, actually).

But live in the 1980s, the Strat -> Memory Man -> AC30 is how got that sound. Best heard for SBS of course in the Rattle & Hum movie.

You're using the Super Overdrive which is a good tube-y breakup pedal. From 1985 forward, I would imagine for SBS Edge is using his Korg SDD-3000's preamp to get the chimney breakup. Beyond his reverb and delays, that's pretty much his secret sauce.

Isn't Edge playing an acoustic guitar with an electric pickup on the album version of the song?

On the War tour, he was using the MXR Dynacomp (a compressor) for the breakup:

u2_edge_19831.jpg

Uh, you do realize that on a standard Stratocaster the tone knobs only affect the middle and neck pickups, right? Never the bridge pickup position. :wink:

Actually no, my standard strat reacts to the knob in the bridge pickup.

Sorry, i make a mistake, in the photo of the memory man i let the wrong setup from another song,

i use a very short delay for sbs, in fact you can ear that when he plays live in the middle part where bono sings " Wipe the tears from your eyes
Wipe your tears away."

it' a very very short delay set.

the thing is that more "vintage" correct strats or actual vintage strats have tone knobs that affect only neck and middle pickups. however Fender now knows that people want tone knob for bridge pickup as well so in some models you get something like one knob does control tone of neck pup and the other controls the middle and bridge pups.

Uh, you do realize that on a standard Stratocaster the tone knobs only affect the middle and neck pickups, right? Never the bridge pickup position. :wink:

I've never owned a strat that does this in all my 18 years of playing. This must be something they used to do a long time ago.

Looks good. On the album, he doesn't actually use any delay, funny enough (anywhere on the album, actually).

Wait, are you saying he didn't use delay on any songs on the War album? Because if so, that's wrong.

In my stratocaster i changed the circuit to can change the tone in the bridge pickup. If you put the tone of bridge pickup at 6-7 sounds better

I've never owned a strat that does this in all my 18 years of playing. This must be something they used to do a long time ago.

Haven't bought a new Strat since 1997. I do have a 2nd hand one I bought around 2010 (I think), but I don't think I've ever bothered with the tone knobs on that one. I just never use them.

Haven't bought a new Strat since 1997. I do have a 2nd hand one I bought around 2010 (I think), but I don't think I've ever bothered with the tone knobs on that one. I just never use them.

I'm on my 3rd strat. Mind you, only 1 was new. But all had one tone linked to the bridge pickup and the other tone linked to middle and neck pickups. I did change that after market on my Nash strat to the tone just being universal and the 3rd pot is now a blender.

hey even Edge's signature strat has second tone control that controls tones of both middle and the bridge. even our lord knows old stratus tone knobs are bad.

Back
Top Bottom