Submitting tabs to the U2 Guitar Archive...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noneal

U2 Guitar Archive
If you would like your tabs posted in the U2 Guitar Archive, please email them to me at noneal@imt.net in addition to posting them here on this forum.

Thanks!
nathan

To bad I'm not a billionaire. I'd countersue those lawyers for decades. I'm pretty sure they are mostly scare tactics and get blown away if it came to court. To bad most people and sites harassed this way don't have the money to take them on legally.

I thought U2 were all for the sharing of their music? Surely posting a tab is nothing when compared to bootlegging gigs?

its like downloading music. Have you noticed that not one case has actually got to court yet? They've all been settled out of court. Scaremongering from big record companies.

Well, it seems ot me that copyrights on musical tabulature is a pretty shifty program. Music is copywritten, yes. The writen components of music are also copywritten and cannot be redistributed. But where does a fan's interpretation of the music end, and the actual 100% accurate sheet music begin? Saying that tabs are out and out illegal because of a breech of copyright is like saying 'imitation is not the sincerest form of flattery, our fans can suck a lemon, we don't want them entertaining themselves by playing our music'. To the extent tabs are accurate... well, they often have the right progression, whether they're written in the right key or not is a great inconsistency, and even the best tabs I've seen don't include rests (while few even include a proper time signature)... which really leaves it up to the readers interpretation. I mean, if you wanted to look at this thing literally, tabs are by no means the songs that various artists perform, because they're just a series of fingering indicators on a page with no division of bars, notes, or anything akin to proper music.

And, so, what about parodies? Since there is a right-to-parody act which allows cartoonists and musicians alike to use already existing cartoon characters as inserts into their own storytelling realms or already existing songs (to some extent). Why would tabs not fall under the right to parody, since they're clearly not accurate representations of the true music?

And what about sampling? Surely, there are bigger fish to fry than amatuer guitar and bass guitar players, while you have people like Eminem sampling Aerosmith, or the classic examples of Vanilla Ice sampling Queen and MC Hammer sampling Rick James. You're trying to squeeze blood from a stone when you start suing small-time webmasters and web-users for being fans of music, when you have popular artists raking in millions of dollars by applying new lyrics to someone else's song.

But hey, I'm just a small-time web-user. So therefore my opinion is invalid. :eyeroll:

Back
Top Bottom