Strymon releasing distortion pedals? Oh no - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Even Better Than The Real Thing ??
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2016, 03:50 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:58 AM
Strymon releasing distortion pedals? Oh no

Riverside - Multistage Drive - Distortion Pedal - Strymon

So........there it is.

I never expected them to release distortion pedals as they said they focus on developing digital pedals. However, they went for semi-analog circuits, where digital controls are used to set parameters. I am quite intrigued by this pedal, even if this pedal isn't going to get any associations with Edge. Also, they said the pedal still contains the DSP chip which apparently alter the tone. So....could this pedal be the first digital distortion pedal not hated by purists? We'll see

Old 10-23-2016, 06:30 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:58 PM
Purists will still hate it because it's not analog. It'll probably sound great though. The tape saturation on the Deco sounds incredible.

Old 10-24-2016, 08:01 AM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 05:58 AM
Purists hate anything that was not used on those classic recordings from the past. I wouldn't be surprised if digital had been around before analog and the likes of Hendrix and Pink Floyd had used it they would now be ragging on analog for delivering such a shitty low grade sound compared to crisp clear digital.

The golden rule remains, don't listen to what others tell you sounds good, if it sounds good to your ears then it is good.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:13 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

From Strymon'/s demos, this pedal sounded amazing and not too artificial. Yes, I said that.

Also.....am I the only person who thinks of Line 6's distortion modeler pedal Edge uses (DM4) from this pedal's color scheme? Seems kinda appropriate as Strymon was originally created by this project ex-Line 6 employees made a while back.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:14 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Not that I care about purists, but I often find myself hating digital distortions, as I expect them to sound like analog pedals. I found that to be a wrong mindset, tho. They sound good in their own ways.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:45 PM   #6
Refugee

If you're trying to achieve those vintage tones of yesterday then digital distortions are most certainly not your cup of tea. But unless your in the cover band/tribute business you shouldn't be trying to copy vintage tones. Your job as a musician is to look forward. Embrace new sounds, not jealously decide what is good tone and what isn't. No wonder rock has become so stale. Rock is supposed to be the sound of youthful rebellion, not the jealous domain of cantankerous boring old farts!
Old 10-24-2016, 01:01 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

as I was writing, I remember David Gilmour once used Boss Heavy Metal pedal with Fender Champ and cranked Gallien Kruger amp for particular distortion sound (in the album i can't remember. probably post Roger era, I assume). SO......are people gonna go for that sound because David has done it? lol Apparently some people prefer Heavy Metal instead of Metal Zone. Dunno why though.

I am very much looking forward for non-Strymon made demos of this pedal. This looks marvelous and I assume, they sound good. looks versatile as fuck, though. Me bitching about digital distortion is probably because I have this digital multi effect that...sort of sucks in some aspects. I actually like some gain pedal modeling in that unit, though I must admit that its not perfect especially in distortion/amp-sim department.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:23 AM   #8
Refugee

There are two kinds of guitarist in regards to Boss metal pedals. Those who have no ear for tone and who think a MT-2 Metal Zone with ALL TEH GAIN! NO MIDS! is a great sound. And those who are into Swedish Old School Death Metal, in which case a HM-2 is mandatory, cause that what's those Swedish guys used.

I've got both and overall the HM-2 sounds better, so I can understand why David used one. Although I doubt he used it Swedish Death Metal style, with all the knobs on full. The MT-2 is a much maligned pedal, mostly because of all those tone deaf metal heads with their ALL TEH GAIN! NO MIDS! attitude. Out of the box it has a tendency to be nasal and they say its a metal pedal designed by people who have no clue as to how metal actually sounds. But there are some excellent mods to turn it into a good metal monster. And with some practice you can even get a decent tone out of a stock MT-2. It has after all an excellent and very useful parametric mid EQ. Shame it gets mostly used to for turning down the mids and then ripping the knob off.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:00 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Am I the only person who thinks Metal Zone is an underrated pedal here? Seems weird we're talking about those metal pedals in a thread about boutique distortion pedal.

Anyway, jokes aside, this Strymon made distortion pedal can be pretty great for Edge fans and tone chasers because this thing has some serious capability to tweak the tones. Also this has this button to recall your favorite setting, which sounds fantastic.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:10 AM   #10
Refugee

I wouldn't exactly call the Strymon a boutique pedal. They're almost always at least analog. And I wouldn't call it the Metal Zone underrated. Both Line6 and Fractal have Metal Zone models in their modelers. And Boss keeps on selling a shitload of them every year. It just has a bad reputation, solely based on the abuse it gets from boatloads of starting metal guitarists. But there are also artists who do manage to get a good tone out of it.

As for the Strymon, that favorite button do looks handy, functioning like a preset button, or the toneprint option on TC pedals. Two sounds out of a single dirt pedal means one less pedal on your board. Although there are plenty of dirtpedals which already offer two or three sounds in one pedal. Multiple presets, selectable via MIDI, now that would have been even better.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:10 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Yeah but others call Strymon or all small-batch builders "boutique" somehow. So.....I often call them boutique, though unlike most famous boutique pedal makers, Strymon makes high quality digital pedals that often look like a witch craft.

Metal Zone is surely popular, but I think most tone chasers consider it as a joke pedal or even useless. I don't think it is fundamentally a joke pedal or made to be a joke pedal. Obviously Boss people never make joke pedals, unlike poeple at DOD, who often create weird pedals, often accidentally. Look at DOD Thrash Master. I know Metal Zone can sound good. But... you know, only in particular context.

Wait are there dirt pedals where you can store multiple settings? I have seen only few of them and some sounded kinda terrible.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:11 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Tell your Stepmom I said hello

puts glasses on, Strymon?? nevermind
Old 10-26-2016, 05:10 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Strymon definitely fits with being called boutique. Lots of boutique brands have digital pedals.
Old 10-30-2016, 03:04 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

About digital distortion, have you guys found good gain pedal sounds in modeling units? Like Axe fx and even some Pod stuff.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:20 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:58 PM
https://youtu.be/SI3SkN40MNg