Strymon releasing distortion pedals? Oh no

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The one from the 80's? Not really a digital distortion but an analog distortion, more fuzz then metal, with a digital delay added on to it. Cool thing, useful, well, try it, you can get them for a reasonable price online.

The one from the 80's? Not really a digital distortion but an analog distortion, more fuzz then metal, with a digital delay added on to it. Cool thing, useful, well, try it, you can get them for a reasonable price online.

wait they weren't digital? i was fooled

Well, the delay part was digital. They probably called it Digital Metalizer because back then digital wasn't a curse word for guitarists but an actual selling point. So they slapped it onto everything.

Ah, the good old days, when musicians were actually progressive.

Well, the delay part was digital. They probably called it Digital Metalizer because back then digital wasn't a curse word for guitarists but an actual selling point. So they slapped it onto everything.

Ah, the good old days, when musicians were actually progressive.

even post rock guys are regressing. it's sometimes sad.

getting back to the topic, I'm very much wondering how this pedal sounds. looks versatile as hell because of 3 band EQs and such, and the fact that it's tube-like will also ensure it's versatile as well. I mean, I remember EHX pedal Hot Tube was supposed to emulate tube amps and it sounded pretty great thru myriads of guitar sounds (like vol turned down, when it's cranked, etc). I hope this breaks the pre-conception that digital distortion pedal sucks, though. because there are already tons of good digital distortions around but people are still crybaby about how it "sucks" to them.

No Riverside experience yet, but damn the Deco tape saturation sounds soooo good!

yeah the emulation of tape saturation was pretty great sounding from that small Strymon box. that's why i think this digital distortion box isn't nightmare that everybody thinks it is.

well here it is. This sounds......very un-tube like. at least from what I hear. Not that it's bad, but they advertised this to be like tube.

I saw a guy play recently who had four Strymon pedals on his board, including a Riverside. Considering the price of the Strymons, and because they're digital, and all the other pedals on his board factored in, and the amount of tapdancing he had to do, for the money he had obviously spent on his setup he might as well gone fully digital and gone Fractal. He was obviously not bothered with digital pedals, so why not go the extra step and save himself the tapdancing?

Yeah, but X number of Strymon pedals + boutique pedals = price of an Axe FX + MFC101 already. Add an expensive TB looper with preset capabilities, good quality cables and power supplies you're now exceeding that cost by far. Not to mention that your rig is now more complicated, which means more chance of things to go wrong. And something will always go wrong eventually when you gig.

Like I said, if you have an all analog signal and pedal chain, then yeah, maybe it still makes sense, but if you use this many digital devices already, then clearly you're not bothered with that, so why not save yourself a lot of pedal tapdancing and just simplify your rig with an Axe FX?

Man, I should start asking Fractal for some kickback. I'm starting to sound like a sales rep.

Yeah, but X number of Strymon pedals + boutique pedals = price of an Axe FX + MFC101 already. Add an expensive TB looper with preset capabilities, good quality cables and power supplies you're now exceeding that cost by far. Not to mention that your rig is now more complicated, which means more chance of things to go wrong. And something will always go wrong eventually when you gig.

Like I said, if you have an all analog signal and pedal chain, then yeah, maybe it still makes sense, but if you use this many digital devices already, then clearly you're not bothered with that, so why not save yourself a lot of pedal tapdancing and just simplify your rig with an Axe FX?

Man, I should start asking Fractal for some kickback. I'm starting to sound like a sales rep.

I got to A/B some setups lately. Kemper, Fractal, Helix, and a pedalboard with 5 Strymons and a programmable TB/MIDI looper.

At the end of the day, I wound up with a Helix and $4000 cash after selling the Kemper and all the pedals I'd amassed. Helix sounds just as good in a mix (only the huge reverbs are lacking IMO), and the programming and workflow is infinitely easier.

Nothing wrong with the Helix either. Digital modelers have come a long way since the days of the first red bean. And to still judge them by that is depriving anyone of some really good tone.

In a way its logical. There's only so much you can do to still push analog technology forward. And for better or worse the old quality through hole components that boutique builders used to advertised with are no longer being made as the manufacturers are switching over to SMD components instead. Digital meanwhile is only limited by DSP power, programming skills and above all the imagination. An analog tubescreamer will always sound just like that. Three controls, level, tone, gain. With mods you can potentially add a few more controls. The modeled tubescreamer in my Axe on the other hand has so many more options, all assignable to expression pedals if possible, if you want to use them its friggin' scary how different you can make it sound.

or why not take Edge approach where you combine pedals and Axe-Fx?

Why is that necessary if it's hard to tell a difference in the studio (much less live) between my Helix and some rad Strymons and Earthquaker Devices and Eventide pedals?

There are a few pedals I would like to use with my Axe. A nice Big Muff, a Skreddy Lunar Module, Mutron II Phaser. But overall I think its better to stick to using only the modeler. Because if you add effects you need a power supply, and a looper, otherwise you're back to the very tapdancing you wanted to avoid. And cabling of course. And before you know it your rig is big and as heavy as it used to be.

Which is all fine and dandy for Edge, because he has to do squat when it comes to transportation, hauling around, hooking everything up and soundchecking of his gear, he's got Dallas and his army of roadies for that. I on the other hand have to do everything myself. So keeping things small and portable is a major quality in my book. And as with everything life is full of compromises.

wow, dude, i was just suggesting, man.

I think you must be reading my post more harshly than I wrote it or intended it. I actually sold my pedals slowly when I realized the Helix could get 90% of the way to the Strymons - especially in a mix. It's pretty amazing the difference is when you're playing with another guitar, a drummer, a bassist, a keyboard player, and singers. A lot of the really rad nuances of stuff like the Strymon dTape engine are just lost. No one can hear them - not even the guitarist (unless we're specifically listening for the tape warble we spent all the time dialing in). Muad'zin summed up my feelings below.

There are a few pedals I would like to use with my Axe. A nice Big Muff, a Skreddy Lunar Module, Mutron II Phaser. But overall I think its better to stick to using only the modeler. Because if you add effects you need a power supply, and a looper, otherwise you're back to the very tapdancing you wanted to avoid. And cabling of course. And before you know it your rig is big and as heavy as it used to be.

Which is all fine and dandy for Edge, because he has to do squat when it comes to transportation, hauling around, hooking everything up and soundchecking of his gear, he's got Dallas and his army of roadies for that. I on the other hand have to do everything myself. So keeping things small and portable is a major quality in my book. And as with everything life is full of compromises.

Although I've never had trouble with faulty cables, I'm just for now tired of hauling a board of individual pedals around when the Helix gives me everything I need. The Klone and the Tubescreamer are really, really good. The LA2A compressor is fantastic. The amp simulators are on par with the Kemper, which is a really top quality representation of the sound of a mic'd guitar cab. The modulations rival the Mobius. The delays get 90% of the way to the Timeline and the normal reverbs get 90% of the way to the BigSky. The only thing that I feel the Helix isn't really close on is the shimmer, so I might wind up getting an outboard pedal for shimmer (although a little birdie told me that in firmware 3.0 [whenever that comes out], all the reverb algorithms are getting an update). I'm still tinkering though - I might be able to get a nice shimmer with a side chain of an EQ, two plate reverbs, and a pitch shifter. Not sure yet. Unfortunately I've been doing lots of mixing and cleaner, organic tones when doing guitar recording, so I haven't taken the time for those more outer-space type sounds.

That the main patch I'm using is called Ryan Adams deluxe probably says something about where I'm at as a guitarist right now. :lol:

Anyway, the 15 lb Helix beats the 40 lb big board (plus amp!) in portability as well. I'm in my honeymoon phase still. Love it.

what I agree with you is that I don't see the point of bringing gazillions of pedals and tons of expensive rank units when 1 or even 2 Axe-Fx will do the same job. because that's literally John Mayer's rig. or one of guitarists from Bon Jovi. they both bring this reverb unit made by Bricasti that costs like 4000 dollars. come on, i bet Strymon pedal sounds pretty similar to that thing.

what I agree with you is that I don't see the point of bringing gazillions of pedals and tons of expensive rank units when 1 or even 2 Axe-Fx will do the same job. because that's literally John Mayer's rig. or one of guitarists from Bon Jovi. they both bring this reverb unit made by Bricasti that costs like 4000 dollars. come on, i bet Strymon pedal sounds pretty similar to that thing.

The point is that its enabled OCD. Most people who obsess about certain things run into the limits of what you can do. A woman who wants designer shoes eventually runs into the limit that her house gets full or she runs out of money. A rich woman however has more space and money. That's why Imelda Marcos had thousands and thousands of shoes. Enabled OCD. Same with guitarists. When you have to carry everything yourself you're far more likely to run into the limit as to what is possible. Guitarists like Edge and John Mayer don't have to worry about that so that feeds their tone OCD and what they absofraggin'lutely need to have.

also, I don't think Axe-Fx has the Klon model. Helix wins in that front.

It will probably come in a new firmware update. I know its much requested on the Fractal forum and I know they recently added the Timmy.

The point is that its enabled OCD. Most people who obsess about certain things run into the limits of what you can do. A woman who wants designer shoes eventually runs into the limit that her house gets full or she runs out of money. A rich woman however has more space and money. That's why Imelda Marcos had thousands and thousands of shoes. Enabled OCD. Same with guitarists. When you have to carry everything yourself you're far more likely to run into the limit as to what is possible. Guitarists like Edge and John Mayer don't have to worry about that so that feeds their tone OCD and what they absofraggin'lutely need to have.

It will probably come in a new firmware update. I know its much requested on the Fractal forum and I know they recently added the Timmy.

All of this.

And if you'll remember, I was an analog/Strymon snob for years. Digital has finally caught up. Now if only the Helix would get a Bluesbreaker/KOT/Morning Glory overdrive modeled in an update and fix the big verbs (especially shimmer).

All of this.

And if you'll remember, I was an analog/Strymon snob for years. Digital has finally caught up. Now if only the Helix would get a Bluesbreaker/KOT/Morning Glory overdrive modeled in an update and fix the big verbs (especially shimmer).

Anything new and interesting in the new firmware upgrade? :wink:

Anything new and interesting in the new firmware upgrade? :wink:

I haven't updated mine but the two things I'm really looking forward to are auto-swell, reverbs becoming less DSP hogs, and multiband compressor. Most of this update is for bass gear.

At least Edge now is less obsessed with tone as he's using Axe-Fx, right? I mean, he's not carrying AMS delay/reverb just to do one effect, you know?

I don't know too much about Axe Fx's modeling but over only read about the unit not having Klon model; the wiki said you can replicate Klon by using para EQ.

At least Edge now is less obsessed with tone as he's using Axe-Fx, right? I mean, he's not carrying AMS delay/reverb just to do one effect, you know?
Could be a combination of digital gear getting better and his old gear literally falling apart from wear and tear. Being on the road is tough on gear. The AMS is 80's rack gear after all. He was using it before I became a U2 fan in the late 80's.

I don't know too much about Axe Fx's modeling but over only read about the unit not having Klon model; the wiki said you can replicate Klon by using para EQ.

There's a lot you can to mod existing effects on the Axe. Leave it to some of the users on the forum to come up with clever ways to make it sound in mysterious ways. I recently downloaded a preset that emulated the feedbacker function of the Boss DF-2.

Back
Top Bottom