Strymon releasing distortion pedals? Oh no

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wait you can create a feedback with Axe-fx? Oh wow. I saw of the demo of Digitech Freq Out and that was clever.....

Yeah I see less and less vintage gear in the artists' rig; even David Gilmour is using Boonar pedal to replicate Echorec sound instead of using MXR rackmount from the 80s. If he can replace vintage gear of his I guess we can ditch them as well, you know?

Yeah, but there's still considerable bragging rights by having a real Echorec, or any other vintage echo. I know a music store which has a Space Echo that will NEVER be sold, just for that reason. So if as a musician you're not known for anything famous that you've recorded or written, you can at least still be that guy who owns an actual 60's or 70's echo. It's not like these guys have to do a lot of intercontinental touring.

Butch Vig loves Roland SpaceEcho but he's a producer so i guess he doesn't have to care about touring with that thing.

Having that thing stand stationary in a well maintained and temperature regulated studio does tend to make a world of difference. Then again, that's what 19" rack gear was initially designed for.

Wait I just want to clarify, so Axe-Fx is a rack unit but it's built like a tank, right? So it's meant to be toured rather than being used in a studio?

Wait I just want to clarify, so Axe-Fx is a rack unit but it's built like a tank, right? So it's meant to be toured rather than being used in a studio?

It's meant for stage or studio. I don't think there is any specific recommendations for one and not the others.

Part of it's 'joy' is you can program loads of stuff that you used in the studio and take it on tour with you.

I remember a guitarist from Imagine Dragons brought bunch of Eventide units and the tech said its god same settings as he used in the studio. I can imagine Edge doing similar things on his Axe Fx. I mean Edge is very neurotic about tones

I bet an Axe-Fx that sits in a studio for 20 years will be in better condition than an Axe-Fx that is toured for 20 years. But the same could be said of just about anything, whether it's meant to be toured or in the studio.

I bet an Axe-Fx that sits in a studio for 20 years will be in better condition than an Axe-Fx that is toured for 20 years. But the same could be said of just about anything, whether it's meant to be toured or in the studio.

well i asked that because my friend ridiculed me from saying that I can just use reverb from Axe-fx rather than Bricasti unit so that you can save money. am i being ridiculous there? he was like, "why are you comparing studio rack mount unit to Axe fx?"

actually my memory is blurry but I'm sure you get the idea.

Last edited:
also, has people tried out that new Sunset overdrive? Ive seen in the guitar stores but really haven't tried the actual pedal.

Aye.

Some rack gear has been designed for life on the road. Most aren't. It's logical in a way. Rack gear was originally intended for in studios. Then some nutters started taking them out on the road as well. Eventually some in the industry caught on and started building stuff that was more road worthy as well. Any guitar multi FX that is in rack format is obviously meant to be be road worthy. Otherwise what's the point?

Personally I think the days of effects rack units are numbered. For FOH digital mixers are more and more becoming the norm, and they come with internal FX already. And studios seem to be moving into plugins mostly. Guitarplayers are all about pedals and floorboards. I'm sure that there will still be the odd purist who craves that classic rack delay, reverb or compressor, but I doubt that there will still be a lot of new effects rack units coming out in the future.

I would be very surprised if there ever was an Axe FX 3 and it would still be in rack format with a separate MIDI controller. The AX-8/Helix format seems like a far more profitable choice and it would allow guitarists to do away with racks altogether. The rack format might still be good for most professional touring guitarists, who use a lot of other stuff as well and are bound to use a separate dedicated controller anyway, but I doubt that Fractal could profit from those guys only to release another rack processor. Not even if Edge had a whole Marshall stack style wall full of Axe FX units.

well i asked that because my friend ridiculed me from saying that I can just use reverb from Axe-fx rather than Bricasti unit so that you can save money. am i being ridiculous there? he was like, "why are you comparing studio rack mount unit to Axe fx?"

Why would he want to use studio rack units as a guitar player? If he only plays at home, doing some home recording, use plugins. If he plays a lot on the road, unless he plays major venues with good PA's nobody will hear the difference between a regular reverb pedal and some uber rack unit. Which means its basically overkill. It's not about comparing which unit has the best sound in the most perfect setting, because in practice you will never have that setting. It's what will work best for you on average in a wide variety of settings. James Hetfield said it best in a recent interview, he and Kirk use Fractal because now their sound is consistent, and they can take their rig anywhere, festival, stadium, arena, radio studio and still get the same sound.

also, has people tried out that new Sunset overdrive? Ive seen in the guitar stores but really haven't tried the actual pedal.

I've pretty much lost interest in whatever pedal is the flavor of the week. Especially overdrives. They all sound the same to me anyway. And I've built dozens of them.

Yeah there are some YouTube footages of Metallica practicing/making this most recent record and surely they're all using Fx8 when they're rehearsing. They might be using the actual amps during the recording (I saw some Mesa heads in their studio and apparently Kirk still likes his Marshall) but during rehearsal they're doing full digital

Back
Top Bottom