Sounds like The Edge on a budget

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think this has been posted elsewhere. Probably on the U2 Guitar Tutorial forum. The consensus seemed to be that these guys mean well but do not seem to understand Edge and his playing very well.

I subscribe to this YouTube channel and was interested when they did Edge on a budget. As Muad'zin says - they simply play what they hear and don't understand edge's rhythm technique. It would have helped if they had watched a few vids of Edge first.
The other thing that struck me was they they said 'let's get a HSS strat so we have a bridge hum-bucker for the Explorer tones' but then they don't use the bridge PU!! :rolleyes:

I'm pretty mad that they didn't even discuss Edge's love for distortion/fuzz. Well not really but I hate it when people still think Edge's all about "clean vox with touch of delay" using strats. Dude he moved on since the 80s and kinda came back in 2000s with touch of difference.

Yikes this wasn't too good :huh: I'll just say first that I'm trying not to be a complete and utter snob here, (it's not that hard at all to get a decent Edge sound for cheap, and certainly not just a secret for a chosen few die hards) but if you're going to make videos like this, surely it's a good idea to give the songs a quick listen before you start recording, what the hell was that streets riff the guy was playing?

Like you guys have said, they mean well enough but the problem is they don't seem to get it's HOW he uses the delay rather than the pedal being all there is to it.
It's all well and good using a pedal with dual delay+modulation but whats the point if you're just going to wing it and not even try to emulate his playing style?

Plus, unless I missed something, one thing they forgot (or didn't find out) was the picks The Edge uses, I had a quick look and they don't sell Herdims but they do sell some other cheap nylon picks with a raised surface for getting that scratchy ringing sound out of the strings, which would have changed the sound loads.

Fair play for giving it a go but just a little bit more thought would have made this so much better.

***But honestly these videos just seem like a quick bit of promo these guys knock out for fun when the shop's quiet, so I'm not expecting some Music Radar video here, kind of makes it pointless to even complain I don't know why I typed so much. :lol:

To be fair to Matt and Bea they did a Sounds Like Rage Against the Machine on a budget and completely smashed it - both in playing style and sound :up: well worth checking out

To be fair to Matt and Bea they did a Sounds Like Rage Against the Machine on a budget and completely smashed it - both in playing style and sound :up: well worth checking out

Maybe because that one was more to their musical inclination? Besides, its not that hard to nail a RATM tone. Guitar -> Marshall amp -> FX send -> tremelo -> wah -> whammy -> simple delay -> boost -> phaser -> FX return. The rest is in your head and hands.

the bad thing sit hat Rebea is obviously a very talented player but i don't think his style isn'y really versatile enough to emulate all kinds of musicians featured in these series of vids.

Back
Top Bottom