so what u2 songs can you play on guitar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bugo

Acrobat
ive been playing the guitar on and off for the past year, teaching myself and am hopeless at fretting although can play around about 25 chords and just recently mastered barre chords. I use a book called u2:the complete songs which although is primarily sheet music (which i cant read at all) shows exactly where and when chords should be. With this ive managed to play the chords of in gods country, pride, sunday bloody sunday, one, party girl, desire, staring at the sun and prob something ive missed out. fairly easy stuff really! if only the book had tabs then i could play other songs (though i havent really looked through the book an awful lot!)
. the i will follow riff sounds class though!

i should prob use the internet but i am pretty hopeless at fretting, hate the plectrum! you use chord shapes for fretting dont you? though i cant finger pick, just used my thumb, really need lessons! any tips? those u2 songs are bout all i can play! (few other bits and bobs)

hey...i'm beginning guitar too. i say practice fretting even though you hate it. i have to force myself to do barre chords....

i've been learning for about 7 or 8 months...what songs do i know? ok, well i know main riffs or parts of many many u2 songs...all the way through like edge plays it i know walk on, spanish eyes, angel of harlem...um...oh yeah, running to stand still (zoo tv)...uh...well, i don't know. see, i'm friends with gredge from elevation usa...and he's taught me quite a bit...

yeah...tangent...practice fretting cause it's really fun when you can recognize riffs as you learn them...it's my favorite part! good luck!

I CAN PLAY STAY ELECRICAL STORM ONE WITH OR.... ALL OF ATYCLB,EASY,WHERE THE STREETS.... MOST OF JT,OUT OF CONTROL AND MANY MORE:wink:

Hmm...I can play mostly all u2 songs, and I'm workin' on the live solo for BTBS live (i can't shred yet!). I can do the solo for One Tree Hill live from Lovetown, and it rocks. I haven't learned everysingle u2 song, but i can play most of them and learn the rest

I know at least 90% of all the studio albums, and I know how to play a good number of singles, covers and live versions.

Though there is always more to learn.

the point of playing u2 songs is learning new things and songs
If ur some guitar whizz then I take my hat off to you *no comment* (!)
MoFo yes you can play it-Edge=live versions
and 99.9% and 1% don't add up to a 100%

I wrote a longer post for this thread and my computer died as I was posting it :mad:

so briefly then I own the 'U2 the complete songs' too (i've never really got on with internet tabs) which covers almost all songs up to and including pop, and in principle I can play most of them, but ony a few would I say I can play anywhere near close to the way The Edge plays them...

Oh and this is just chords btw, no riffs, 1) because the riffs are only in regular notation which i can't read and 2) i'm crap with riffs due mostly to the first reason which means i can't practise them :rolleyes:

I've been playing for 2 years and learning U2 songs was a big reason why I took it up at my advanced age (started at 39, 41 now). I only play acoustic (for now) which limits me somewhat but so many of their songs work well acoustically. I've noodled around with a bunch of riffs but the songs I know all the way through include:

Stuck (see the Stuck acoustic thread)
Desire (I sooo want an electric for this one)
Stay (acoustic elevation tour version)
In a Little While
Trip
Hands that built America
Everlasting Love
Halleluja, here she comes (couldn't be easier)
Love Rescue me (haven't quite mastered, can't remember all they lyrics)

That's all that comes to mind but there are others and will be more. Now, If only we could get a few more guitar players to frequent this forum, it appears to be the quitest one on Interference.

Let's see. I have been learning for almost five months now. I have only have an acoustic right now, as well. The only song I can play well at the moment is the acoustic version of "Stuck in a Moment". I do okay with "In God's Country", "One Tree Hill" and "Sunday Bloody Sunday". I am working on some other ones, but I wouldn't say I can play them, just yet anyway.

For all you beginers out there, Keep It Up! It's nice to know I'm not alone.

I also only (trying to) play acoustic and working on SBS and Bad (see other topic)
Maybe a good new topic. "How to play electric numbers acoustic" ???
Greetz

Last edited:
The Sage said:
I wrote a longer post for this thread and my computer died as I was posting it :mad:

so briefly then I own the 'U2 the complete songs' too (i've never really got on with internet tabs) which covers almost all songs up to and including pop, and in principle I can play most of them, but ony a few would I say I can play anywhere near close to the way The Edge plays them...

Oh and this is just chords btw, no riffs, 1) because the riffs are only in regular notation which i can't read and 2) i'm crap with riffs due mostly to the first reason which means i can't practise them :rolleyes:

hmm well you should be able to play one acousticly - its basically chords Am, D, Fmaj7(i think), G,Gsus(cant remember but its basically your forefinger - first fret B string, taking the finger on and off), C - ruffly in that order, but anyway why did I just say that you own the book!:huh:

anyway SBS that should be possible on acoustic and bad is only a couple of chords, i wish i still had an acoustic to try out some things, i've only played desire on an acoustic! but i guess the limitations of not having an electric must be worse! massive respect to those of you that can play beautiful day, i need lessons! and keep trying everyone else! peace out.

Thanks for the info "bugo"
It's indeed not always easy to play (some) U2 songs without echo/delay ability.
Unless you live in a cave or somewhere in the mountains...
Joy to all

Last edited:
I have been playing for about three months now and learning mostly u2 songs, I?m a big fan :)

I can only play chords but I don?t loose rhythm and I can sing them at the same time, neway, here is the list of the songs

Who?s Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, (an easy jump from Knocking on Heavens Door and just tonight, the elevation version fade in from bad A-E-D BTW )
Bad
Running to Stand Still
Desire
Dirty Day
Zooropa (conclusion)
Where the Streets Have no Name
Van Demain?s Land
Exit
Until the End of The World (this is fun to play)

I?m sure there is more, but I can?t think right now?so yeah there we go :)

what juh.. any chance of telling my how you play WGRYwildhorse, RTAstandstill,Dday, WSHnoname, exit and UTEOthe world with just chords? didnt know that was possible.. in fact id really like to know hoe to play the first and last of that list.. i might be able to work out the others.... i just played beautiful day today with just chords, fantastic!

bugo said:
what juh.. any chance of telling my how you play WGRYwildhorse, RTAstandstill,Dday, WSHnoname, exit and UTEOthe world with just chords? didnt know that was possible.. in fact id really like to know hoe to play the first and last of that list.. i might be able to work out the others.... i just played beautiful day today with just chords, fantastic!

Yeah sure thing, check out:
http://members.optushome.com.au/steak/u2tab.txt

Until the end of the world is a little bit more tricky, i had to work out the ending solo by myself, and i have yet to figure out the middle one, but the rest is easy, if you just strum the chords. Check out http://u2guitar.interference.com/achtung/until.txt for more information :|

Well........euhm....I've been playing for 2 years now....and I'm not very talented...but I play the full versions of the song, not just chords.....

Euhm, I know these songs:
New York
Beautiful day
Exit
Hands that build america
Until the end of the world
Elevation
Stuck in a moment
Mysterious ways (not very good)
Even better than the real thing (forgot about that one)
First time (very easy, but cool)
Discotheque
Sunday,bloody sunday (only I can't get the tuning right)
Electrical storm (a bit)

I'm working on:
Rejoice
Is that all?

If anyone can help me with the tuning for Sunday, B. Sunday...pleaaaaassee!!!!

Thanx

On the War album SBS is in B minor but the guitar is tuned down half a step so it's actually in Bb minor. They played it in a lower key on the last tour, primarily to save Bono's voice I expect, could be G# minor I think...

Yeah...but that's the problem.....it doesn't work when I tune down 1/2 a step......for the elevation tour....so, that's probably a whole step!!

hey folks, iv been playing guitar for 3 years, can do 90% of all their songs , pretty damn well. i luv "The Fly" & BTBS wah solos, does any1 wanna do recordings and exchange, would be nice for comments and suggestions also let the rookies hear what hard work and persistence can lead to.

In the mean time, play hard & rock on (even acoustically!)

WOW!!!......all respect for you.....man, 90% of the songs is a lot.......
Can you tell me how you play the solo for BTBS during the elevation tour??....have no idea how to do that!!

Since I'm terrible with chords I just try to follow the main riffs that edge plays....some are freaking easy but there are a lot of songs that i just can't get right!!.......any advise?

There are many U2 songs I can play, but I'm quite limited because I've got acoustic guitar. You can play almost all of their songs if you keep it simple, using only ''normal'' chords (no offence to the proffesionals), but I try to play i t as close to the original as I can.
Keep on strumming!

Back
Top Bottom