So how did Bono learn to sing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ck256

The Fly
It's chronicled all over that he basically couldn't sing in the beginning of the band's history (before recording).

Anyone have any information other than (he just learned it one day)?

Thanks,

ck

Just worked at it, I suppose. The only training that I know of was that he's said that Chrissie Hynde helped him some - as far as to sing more in a way that didn't blow out his voice.

That and her being present on backing vocals ("Pride...") , is why she is mentioned on the 'thank you' section of The Unforgettable Fire. (Listed as Christine Kerr - she was married to Jim Kerr of Simple Minds)

i thought that bono had formal singing lessons between lovetown/zootv tours seeing as his voice changed so dramatically between those periods.

It also wouldnt suprise me if he had more training between the popmart/elevation periods, seeing as his voice changed dramatically again and he had pretty major throat surgery.

I don't remember hearing about throat surgery. Possible, I suppose.

I do remember him mentioning that he'd had voice issues on Popmart and it turned out to be an allergy issue - something in cheap wine!

Seems with some healing and better wine... all has been good since.

i thought that bono had formal singing lessons between lovetown/zootv tours seeing as his voice changed so dramatically between those periods.

It also wouldnt suprise me if he had more training between the popmart/elevation periods, seeing as his voice changed dramatically again and he had pretty major throat surgery.

Didn't he have nodes removed from his vocal cords? Was that the surgery? I know a good handful of singers that have had to have that surgery. They're usually caused by improper use of the voice for too long.

Didn't he have nodes removed from his vocal cords? Was that the surgery? I know a good handful of singers that have had to have that surgery. They're usually caused by improper use of the voice for too long.

Yes, this is the surgery im talking about. I have heard that often singers have to do some re-training after these operations. There's also a chance that you can lose you singing voice all together. sadly, this happend to Julie Andrews (sound of music) a year or two back.

A good friend of mine had the same surgery a long time ago, and she had to basically start from scratch, learning a new way to sing. She's still going strong and is total and complete awesomesauce as a singer.

Oh, poor Julie Andrews. that is like a crime against humanity. :(

I always thought it was just that he got comfortable once the band started finding its own sound.

Hawkmoon 269 did him in on Lovetown.

He never did.

There were rumours he had lessons in this decade, but AFAIK he's the only U2 member without any legitimate lessons on his instruments. (Larry did it in the early years, and after Zooropa. Adam did it after Zooropa and Edge had guitar lessons early on).

Two incorrect statements in here (at least according to U2 by U2)

Bono did not have throat surgery. It was thought that he was going to have to, but in the end they discovered it was something else.

He has received vocal coaching, more in the operatic discipline, I believe.

The real question is how can I learn to sing like Bono? :hmm:

The big prob is I think I sound like him in my head, but other people here me completely differently

Back
Top Bottom