Small tube amp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Izzy.nyc

The Fly
Hey guys and gals,

Curious as to whether anyone has experience with smaller tube amps (15w or less). Wanted to get one for my small man cave. I have a blues deluxe currently but it's way too much for the room.

Soundcloud.com/re2374

My 15W BadCat Cub III is incredibly loud. Like so loud I don't feel comfortable cranking it in my home because I don't want my neighbors to hate me. Probably 5 watts would be good for you if you're just looking for something smallish for the den. Are you planning to play clean or dirty? What kind of guitar? Are you going to only use it for U2 tones or would you like something that will do more than just that?

Tourist: all sorts of sounds and tones. I have a few guitars. From single coil strat to LP and semi hollow. I like cleaner tones with a little bit of edge to them. You like the bad cat?

Soundcloud.com/re2374

Tourist: all sorts of sounds and tones. I have a few guitars. From single coil strat to LP and semi hollow. I like cleaner tones with a little bit of edge to them. You like the bad cat?

Soundcloud.com/re2374

I love the BatCat but it's extremely loud and sounds more like 30 watts than 15. Its features are pretty amazing - in fact some of the features are only in the BadCat Cub series (the first pre-amp tube is footswitchable from 12AX7 to EF86 which completely changes the sound despite being only a single channel, and the entire concept of the K-Master, which allows you to run your preamp clean and get all your drive from your poweramp if you want).

For quieter, I'd look into a Fender Princeton Reverb (great cleans if you want dirt from a pedal), a Vox AC4HW with a Celestion Blue, one of the 5-watt Swart offerings, or one of the lower-watt Dr. Z amps (Maz 8 or M12).

Speaker sensitivity also has a lot to do with volume, too. A Celestion Blue is a much more efficient speaker than a lot of standard and therefore louder. For instance, a Blue has a sensitivity of 100dB whereas a Greenback only has a sensitivity of 98dB. That may not seem like much, but I believe if I'm remembering correctly, 6dB difference is a doubling in perceived volume (not linear). So 2 dB, just from different speakers, is a ton. I have Celestion Golds (100dB) and Celestion Creambacks (97dB) and can definitely tell the difference from one cab to the other.

Anyway, sorry if I barraged you with too much info, and sorry if you already knew any of this. Most of what I know comes from being a longtime lurker, sometimes poster on thegearpage.net, which is a gear forum (that has like 50x the amount of posters as we do here).

Personalty, I would go for the AC4 HW1. I had an AC4 TV but did not get on with it at all. Sold it and got the HW1 which has a great U2 sound and achieves home volumes whilst still breaking up in a very pleasing way.

Back
Top Bottom