Slide Bottles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattyUK

The Fly
Hi guys, ive just started useing a slide bottle when playing the likes of city of blinding lights. Ive purchased a Dunlop blues bottle, sounds good but I wonder what the edge actually uses !!?? When watching my Vertigo 05 DVD i see he uses a silver, hollow slide....

I think Edge has his own custom made slides..

I'm only saying that because his tech (dallas) had him like a little slide..I could be totally wrong..

to play it, play the slide on the 10th fret, and just keep on sliding and going crazy with it on the 10th fret. remember when you are sliding on the 10th fret, don't slide it on other frets...

MattyUK said:
Hi guys, ive just started useing a slide bottle when playing the likes of city of blinding lights. Ive purchased a Dunlop blues bottle, sounds good but I wonder what the edge actually uses !!?? When watching my Vertigo 05 DVD i see he uses a silver, hollow slide....

Edge's guitar tech, Dallas Schoo, fabricated a slide specifically for Edge.

Instead of a long tube that is capable of extending across the entire span of the fretboard, Edge uses a slide that resembles a wide ring. With that slide, he can contact only a single string while playing, then switch to normal fretting, then back to slide, quickly and easily without having to throw away the slide.

Because City of Blinding Lights intersperses slide parts so freely with fretted parts, this slide was a necessary tool for effective live playing.

A slide like this is easy enough to make. Just get yourself a length of brass or copper pipe of sufficient internal diameter to fit your finger snugly but not too tightly, then cut a length of it about 0.75 inches (around 1.8 to 2 cm) in length. Round the cut edges so that they won't hurt your fingers, and then polish the surface of the metal until it shines.

This works really well, and I've made several for use in other kinds of music as well.

Re: Re: Slide Bottles

Loar said:

Edge's guitar tech, Dallas Schoo, fabricated a slide specifically for Edge.

Instead of a long tube that is capable of extending across the entire span of the fretboard, Edge uses a slide that resembles a wide ring. With that slide, he can contact only a single string while playing, then switch to normal fretting, then back to slide, quickly and easily without having to throw away the slide.

Because City of Blinding Lights intersperses slide parts so freely with fretted parts, this slide was a necessary tool for effective live playing.

A slide like this is easy enough to make. Just get yourself a length of brass or copper pipe of sufficient internal diameter to fit your finger snugly but not too tightly, then cut a length of it about 0.75 inches (around 1.8 to 2 cm) in length. Round the cut edges so that they won't hurt your fingers, and then polish the surface of the metal until it shines.

This works really well, and I've made several for use in other kinds of music as well.

Awsome bit of information!!! Sweet. Im haveing a bit of problems with strumming the chords on this song though. My teacher tried to show me how but i just couldnt get the rythym. Im very strong on playing solo but i really need help on playing chords with any rythym!!

I've tried making my own slide like that and it failed miserably. For me trying to keep it into contact with only strings doesn't work out. But I've found that using a bigger brass one that you can use on three strings works just as well. And if I put it on my ring finger I can still bend it to finger chords.

By the way, for BTBS Edge still uses a large normal one. Which he can somehow click on to the back of the headstock of the Strat he uses for that song. Just watch the live DVD's. Once he no longer uses it he puts it there.

Actually for BTBS he had some kinda hook on the back of his headstock and put the slide on there...

He does it now for love and peace and maybe the fly..

Let me see if I can find a pic for you...

Back
Top Bottom