Silver and Gold Techniques

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffclark42

Babyface
I've been working on silver and gold (specifically the rattle and hum version) for a bit now and have couple of spots that I'm having trouble with.

1. At :40 and :45 seconds on the CD I hear something like harmonics being played briefly. Is this harmonics? 5th, 12th, or 7th fret, or something else?

2. At 3:40 when Bono goes into his speech edge is playing muted strings. I've read that he's actually hitting the strings with his thumb (instead of picking them) but I can't seem to get the right sound. Can anyone shed light on the proper technique here?

3. At the end of edge's solo at 5:22 he plays something that sounds like its through a wah wah pedal. I've seen tabs that show this being played on the single B string, but again, I can't get it to sound right. Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help!

Jeff

regarding Q2: your right about him slapping the strings. If your not getting te same sound it is probably down to your guitars "action" (the height of the strings from the fretboard) The higher the action, the harder to play (as in physically, not technically). I would imagine edges action would be pretty low

Back
Top Bottom