Semi-hollow body guitars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mack_Again

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
This is just random thought, so you can pass it.
Anyway, I was looking at Bono's guitars (or just watching Popmart footage) and realized that most (if not all) of his guitars are semi-hollow. He's used Gibson ES-175 (?) and some Gretsch in 90s and he went full-on for Gretsch in 2000s.

I felt like lots of singers uses semi-hollow guitars or even acoustics; Chris Cornell has his sig. ES-335, Billy Joe from Green Day recently release his sig. ES-175. Brian Setzer uses Gretsch (this is probably famous ones), who has much bigger lines of guitars now (yes, I see NAMM updates).

Do you guys think there's a reason for that?

I acknowledge that there are s many exceptions to this; Joe Strummer used tele, Tom Verlaine from Television used Jazzmaster or some other Fenders, and even Taylor Swift has got her LP Deluxe (what the hell, right?).

I wanted opinions from you guys, that's all.

I believe it's because they're a little more audible than electric guitars. I know Mikel Jollett of The Airborne Toxic Event uses a Gretsch semi-hollow.

I imagine they're more suitable for rhythm playing, whereas something like a Strat or an Explorer tends to be a little happier on the treble side and is better for lead.

But I don't know shit so idk.

Bono has used solid body guitars. He used the two pickup solid body Fender Lead II, during the mid-1980's. During the Joshua Tree tour, he'd used a few Telecasters. He's also had a Tele-style guitar made by Danvel Nelson - same folks as built the Strat-style guitar for Edge (seen on Streets in Rattle and Hum).

Bono can also be seen with a Les Paul Custom (black) during the Pop sessions. He used the guitar for some Popmart shows too, until he took delivery of the two custom finish Gibson 175's.

But do I think that 'singers prefer hollow-body guitars or is there a reason for them to use them'? Not at all.

As for Bono, semi-hollows might be more preferred since the 2010 back injuries (and the more recent bike injuries)

This is just random thought, so you can pass it.
Anyway, I was looking at Bono's guitars (or just watching Popmart footage) and realized that most (if not all) of his guitars are semi-hollow. He's used Gibson ES-175 (?) and some Gretsch in 90s and he went full-on for Gretsch in 2000s.

I felt like lots of singers uses semi-hollow guitars or even acoustics; Chris Cornell has his sig. ES-335, Billy Joe from Green Day recently release his sig. ES-175. Brian Setzer uses Gretsch (this is probably famous ones), who has much bigger lines of guitars now (yes, I see NAMM updates).

Do you guys think there's a reason for that?

I acknowledge that there are s many exceptions to this; Joe Strummer used tele, Tom Verlaine from Television used Jazzmaster or some other Fenders, and even Taylor Swift has got her LP Deluxe (what the hell, right?).

I wanted opinions from you guys, that's all.

Yeah, I totally forgot about those Fenders he played during 80s. I thought of these while Rob Chapman reviewing Chris Cornell's sig ES335 and said, "these semi-hollow must be great for him because it sounds great acoustically so this can be used for song writing"

Cornell has played Gretsch Jet solid body guitars (See the 'Temple of the Dog' "Hunger Strike Video". He's also played semi-hollow Gretsch guitars. As for the Gibson, he started using 335's and then Gibson offered a deal. Gretsch must be kicking themselves.

As for the Cornell 335's, they are fantastic. Great feel, balance, sound. Quite versatile. QUITE expensive, unfortunately. I'd love to have one. (The one with the Bigsby, in particular). The LollarTron pickups sound great. They are Lollars version of the FilterTron. (Again, showing Cornell's longtime kinship with Gretsch guitars and sounds)

The Cornell 335 does sound good unplugged. So I get that it would be fine in a hotel room writing songs after-hours and such. But plugged in, it is a great and versatile sounding guitar. If you have the cash, and you can find one... I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Yeah, I totally forgot about those Fenders he played during 80s. I thought of these while Rob Chapman reviewing Chris Cornell's sig ES335 and said, "these semi-hollow must be great for him because it sounds great acoustically so this can be used for song writing"

What kind of depresses me is that all the Gibson Memphis stuff looks marvelous but are much more expensive.

Probably I'll get what I pay, and in that case, that'll be true (not for Gibson USA, apparently).

I can probably say same for Duesenberg guitars; Chris is using it for some songs with EEBBBB tunings, and it looks and sounds fantastic.
I can see the Edge could be using one, though I think it's not likely that he actually will be using ones.

Back
Top Bottom