Sbs red rocks and live aid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BB Mac

War Child
hi guys one of my favorite sbs sounds was the Red rocks/live aid era
so thought id give it a try with sum of my guitar gear..
used my 2009 MIM stratocaster and sum old effect pedals and my korg SDD2000.
im on the right track so hopefully can totally nail it with sum more tweaking

see what you think, ohh i copied in bono's voice for the live aid effect :)

https://soundcloud.com/bbbruce5/sbs-red-rocks-and-live-aid

Edge the SDD 3000 by the time if the Red Rocks shows. So the pre-amp of that unit might be an ingredient.

Other than that, experiment with the volume and tone settings on your amp and guitar. Too many see to forget this.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I have the sdd3k but it was out of reach
Only used a VoxAmplug so not goin to
Get it totally but il look into mic'ing my
Amp or sumthing smaller for the house
and no doubt will get a better balance.

I like trying Different gear 'non edge as to
Say to try to get sounds 'makes it more of
A challenge as lots of people plugging into
Things like the Axe-FX ect thats not to say
the Axe-FX wouldnt be a challenge :) but
As much as am huge edge fan its good to
Have your own bits n pieces to try things.
saying that I used sum classic old edge
Pedals on the clip.

Aren't the Red Rocks and Live Aid basically two completely different sonic beasts when it comes to Edge's gear? The first marks the swan song of his simple days when his setup was still relatively simple. The latter the start of when he became a simple playing guitarist with a not so simple live rig. A Boss SCC-700 and the TC2290 which had its own own effects loop and controller forming the core of his rig in the 2nd half of the 80's. Not sure if he had the TC already at the time of Live Aid, but I do remember seeing the SCC's footcontroller in front of Edge in the Live Aid footage.

I feel like SDD existed in the rig around mid 80s but not in the early 80s in the Red Rock era. TC delay came out around 86 or 87 (I think, don't really trust me about this number, thou), so it definitely existed. But I feel like Edge had more pedals than Memory Man, so it must be that he's got Boss controller around that time.

Red rocks was a spilt signal with a chain of effects yellow boss OD/comp/EQ ect
not sure if SD-1 or OD-1 prob the SD-1 thats been seen lots of times since
Red rocks.

Live aid 1985 looked like his Unforgettble fire rig
2 X SDD3000
Yamaha R1000 Digital reverb
MXR pitch transposer
Yamaha D1500 (For keyboards)
2 x Electro Harmonix Memory man fitted into rack (CP70 +Lap steel)

Boss SCC-700 effects selector which holds 7 boss pedals
see you tube link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iotIHygsUio

live aid its the SCC-700 and a Custom footswitch for the
Twin Korg SDD000 Delays.

as to the SBS sound watch Red rocks and live aid youll see
both sound nearly the same but take into account different
venues different Acoustics and so on...

Red Rocks 1983 sbs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL6FPMjZhAc

Live aid 1985 sbs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeQ0v8Vgiys

Nice! I still prefer his Red Rocks tone though. To me it sounds a little less gainy and compressed. Not much though, so you're right that its amazing that despite different rigs the tones are quite similar. Then again I expect nothing else of The Edge. If he was using a Boss OD pedal I doubt it was the OD-2 though. According to Bossarea the OD-2 was sold from August 1985 to November 1994, meaning it wasn't on offer during the UF tour and Live Aid era.

In a way the tones of these old eras are way more interesting then his modern tones. Which seem to be well documented. You can't do google search for Edge's gear and come across a million pics of his Elevation and Vertigo tour rack. His 90's rig has some coverage as well. Yet of his 80's rig, UF to Lovetown, next to nothing.

I wouldn't mind having a SCC-700. Both now, for vintage collecting purposes, and back then, when it was both cutting edge and useful.

He maybe was using guyatone zoom for the distorted sound + Sdd. The warmth of the sdd was closer to the warmth of the memory man. Later 1985 the distorted guitar was not the same. I think since the joshua tree the gainly was lower than war an UF tours

Enviado desde mi iPad con U2 Interference

im actually looking for a Guyatone zoom if anyone has one or one of
the clones ,pm me please. im putting together an old edge board pedal
board and what i have is
SD-1..Pearl EQ....OD2..Dyna comp...Big muff

I feel like Guyatone Zoom was clone of Tube Screamer or Boss SD-1 or something, more gain and stuff. I feel like there are tons ( I mean, TONS) of TS-inspired OD pedals, so I don't really need the exact copy of that pedal.

If that's close to DOD 250, then probably buying the new reissue can be the great answer unless I can build it myself? New reissued one come with nice solid casing, bright LED and true bypass, I think.

Depending on where you live and where you order you could probably build the guyatone for less then $35 or €35. Which should include shipping of parts. It seems like a very simple build.

You could also order the DOD but the circuits are not quite the same. The Guyatone has a few different components here and there, including germanium clipping diodes, as opposed to the silicone clipping diodes in the DOD. So it will sound different. Also know the current day DOD250's are not quite the same as the old ones from the 80's. On the plus side, as long as it doesn't have any SMD components but uses through hole components you could probably mod a current DOD to sound like the Guyatone.

Is DOD250 or Guyatone thing TS-inspired circuit or it's got different characteristics? Im not a circuit nut but it seems to be that tube screamer-like circuit is still dominating overdrive world.
Plus, I really love those recent DOD stuff, like Boneshaker.

The two OD style pedals I use are an original DOD 250 and a Keeley Modified TS9DX

Is DOD250 or Guyatone thing TS-inspired circuit or it's got different characteristics? Im not a circuit nut but it seems to be that tube screamer-like circuit is still dominating overdrive world.
Plus, I really love those recent DOD stuff, like Boneshaker.

I don't think the DOD250/MXR Dist+ is a TS inspired circuit. It's a lot simpler as it lacks a tone control and the in-and output buffers. In the late 70's DOD, MXR, Boss, Ibanez and Marshall all released overdrive pedals soon after another as fuzz fell out of favor and opamp overdrive with diode clipping became the new hottest thing. And even though it seems stranges as 90% of all current OD pedals are TS derivatives, from what I gathered the TS was not in high demand at that time. Edge wasn't using them at the time. Only until a certain Texan blues guitarist rose to fame using an obscure little green box did the TS become the OD pedal of choice. And mandatory for all blues guitarists.

yeah, I remember Edge start using TS9 around Elevation tour-era.
By the way, what gain pedals did he use around Zoo-TV era?

I found this pic and it would seem Boss SD-1, OD-2, FA-1, MXR Dynacomp and an EHX Big Muff, not sure if its a V3 or V6, but its definitely not the current NYC version as those only came into production in 2000. A graphic EQ pedal and a TC parametric EQ pedal were also used.

I found this pic and it would seem Boss SD-1, OD-2, FA-1, MXR Dynacomp and an EHX Big Muff, not sure if its a V3 or V6, but its definitely not the current NYC version as those only came into production in 2000. A graphic EQ pedal and a TC parametric EQ pedal were also used.

Thanks!!

Some ZOO TV/Zooropa pedals here
each pedal side is basically a replicate
7 pedals each side and a tuner..

295raf5.jpg

f9nuyh.jpg

hi Muad'zin these are from dvds and i took a snapshot of the screen
i have sum zoo tv bootleg ones with small clips,interviews,a few songs.

Ok, finally made sense that the Edge's sounds start much more distorted in the 90s compared to 80s (probably it solved the issue of Edge's guitars being quiet or pickups being too quiet?)

hi Muad'zin these are from dvds and i took a snapshot of the screen
i have sum zoo tv bootleg ones with small clips,interviews,a few songs.

That of course is always an option indeed. Didn't know he had a duplicated his pedal sides. The only pics I knew showed a single pedal side. There seem to be a few differences though. The right one has the MXR Dynacomp and the Boss FA-2, the left one has a Boss compressor and something else instead of the FA-2. Interesting.

Ok, finally made sense that the Edge's sounds start much more distorted in the 90s compared to 80s (probably it solved the issue of Edge's guitars being quiet or pickups being too quiet?)

On the other hand he used a lot more Les Pauls in the 90's, which generally tend to be a lot hotter then Strats. I think it has probably more to do with U2 having made a sonic shift with Achtung Baby from their 80's material, which probably demanded a more distorted guitar sound.

Yes, les paul, why did I forget that?

By the way, my favorite the Edge tone is is LP Custom. Too bad he auctioned it.

Pedals left side....
boss GE-7<->boss SD-1..EH Big muff
boss OD-2.....boss CS-2 Compressor
TC integrated Pre-Amp..boss TU12H..TC parametric eq

Pedals right side....
boss SD-1<->Pearl graphic eq
boss OD-2.....Dyna comp..EH Big muff
boss FA-1......boss TU12 tuner..TC parametric eq

left side has the boss SD-1 going into
the boss GE-7 and right side the
Pearl Graphic eq going into SD-1

The Guyatone Zoom has come up in conversation on various U2/Edge related topics and forums.

But I've not herds nor seen anything to show that Edge ever owned or used one.

I've not seen it in any photos nor seen any articles where Edge mentioned it.

I saw one photo - blurry and distance from afar of a red pedal but - he had the MXR DynaComp around the same time so... which is the same red color and size as the Zoom so... it could have been that.

Another thing to consider is the bridge pickup being boosted by the Boss FA-1. And Edge had experimented with a few bridge pickups, per various articles (Musician Magazine) during the 83-85 era.

He maybe was using guyatone zoom for the distorted sound + Sdd. The warmth of the sdd was closer to the warmth of the memory man. Later 1985 the distorted guitar was not the same. I think since the joshua tree the gainly was lower than war an UF tours

Enviado desde mi iPad con U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom