Samplers for Tribute Bands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A sample is a piece of music that gets played. Usually a short piece that gets repeated over and over again. Sometimes also referred to as a loop. Think the drum loops in Bad and WOWY. A sampler is the device being used to record and playback to do so, but these days you can do that via computer software.

What you seem to be looking for however is called a backing track.

I was gonna recommend Ableton or even some Akai units but i actually don't have that much knowledge about playing loops live.

It's getting to the point with DAWs that it should be fairly easy to create your own preprogrammed music as long as you play to a click and don't embellish your songs much live.

The simplest backing tracks I've ever used involved creating a mono backing track and a mono click track and then importing each one into the separate channels of a stereo track. You could then create a wav or mp3 file that you could play from your smartphone into a mixer. One channel would then be the backing track, the other the click track. Obviously its not very optimal, as the backing track would only be mono. But it involves less hassle in gear that you have to bring along. Might even be useful as a backup in case your more complicated setup goes FUBAR. Or you forgot to bring along something critical. Murphy always happens. But generally you will always have your smartphone with you.

The simplest backing tracks I've ever used involved creating a mono backing track and a mono click track and then importing each one into the separate channels of a stereo track. You could then create a wav or mp3 file that you could play from your smartphone into a mixer. One channel would then be the backing track, the other the click track. Obviously its not very optimal, as the backing track would only be mono. But it involves less hassle in gear that you have to bring along. Might even be useful as a backup in case your more complicated setup goes FUBAR. Or you forgot to bring along something critical. Murphy always happens. But generally you will always have your smartphone with you.

I'd work as a guitar tech for a tribute here in Los Angeles/Orange County a while back. I think the bulk of the tracks were ran off an iPod Classic (similar use to what Muad'zin mentioned) I don't recall any issues with the setup. It all seemed to work well. And one could put the tracks on an iPod and Phone as backup or two iPods... you get the idea (to have a backup)

I'd work as a guitar tech for a tribute here in Los Angeles/Orange County a while back. I think the bulk of the tracks were ran off an iPod Classic (similar use to what Muad'zin mentioned) I don't recall any issues with the setup. It all seemed to work well. And one could put the tracks on an iPod and Phone as backup or two iPods... you get the idea (to have a backup)

And iPod or phone has the advantage of eliminating ground loop, dirty electrical power or cheap soundcard issues. I've had a drummer who ran his backing track from his laptop and there was always a high pitched whine coming from his laptop, but not when he used his phone. Or more precise my phone, as he always seemed to forget to transfer those tracks to his own phone.

Back
Top Bottom