restringing an electric

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
washburn x22

its the kind where you just slide the string in through the back and up the fret board

i tried once and couldnt get it nice and tight up at the tuning things so it didnt sound right and would have probably lost tune quickly

so my question is how to get it nice and tight around the pegs to make sure it plays well and stays tuned

thanks

This is the peg with a hole in it and nothing else (like a Les Paul, right?) The way I do it is to push the string though the bridge, pull it through to remove most (but not all) of the slack, you want enough left for say three or four coils round the peg. Push the end of the string through the little hole in the peg and (very important) bend the string where it comes out of the hole sharply at right angles so that it has a distinct 90 degree bend in it . This stops it coming loose while you're winding. Then wind the tuner tighter so that the rest of the string forms a coil round the peg *underneath* where the string goes through the hole. Try to keep it straight and try to wind it from higher to lower so that the string ends up nearer the headstock. This will keep the tension of the strings right where they rest on the nut. There should be enough of the string under the hole and round the peg to push the coiled string up against the string in the hole to lock the string into place (this may only work for the E A D strings BTW, but maybe not with the thinner ones)... finally tighten the tuner up and then cut the loose end of the string off leaving maybe 1/4 of an inch once the string is more or less in tune. Get a tuner if you haven't got one, the Boss TU-2 is very simple, very good, reasonably priced and is widely used by gigging musicians... Once the strings are on give each one a firm slow pull in the middle up and away from the fretboard to remove any slack that might be left and give them a bit of a stretching. You should be able to tune the guitar precisely after that with no difficulties, and the guitar should stay in tune (as long as the tuners etc. are decent). My impression is that heavier strings stay in tune better than light ones but your mileage may vary.... I think that's how I do it anyway, can't say I've given it very much thought for about 20 years now :) I would also suggest changing your strings at least every month if you're just playing at home or with friends, if you're gigging, do it every night, because your strings will break if you don't. Believe me, it happens every time.

Good luck

Mick

Last edited:
thanks a lot, some top notch advice :up:

hopefully i'll get it to work this time

Back
Top Bottom