Repairing An Amp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LuckyNumber7

Blue Crack Addict
Hey guys and gals, I recently acquired a rather oversized amp for my wonderful apartment from my brother.

It was free, although the catch is that it's obviously... broken. I swapped out the fuses and that didn't do anything. As you all may know, I'm instrumentally illiterate but I still like to play a small bit. Here's a bit of information on the problem and the amp, I'd appreciate if anyone could point me in some direction:

- It's a Crate GFX-212T 120 Watt Amp
- Has all those nonsense knobs and whatnot with built in DSP or whatever
- The electrical seems to be fine, meaning the amplifier does indeed amplify still sound
- The actual "Input" does not work, however
- In order to play my guitar through it, I've got to plug the guitar in through the "Insert" which I assume is for effects units or pedals or whatnot
- Through "Input" you just get a static noise and the guitar is not amplified
- The "Exit Speaker" port also still works, being that all noise is cut off from the amp when I plug something through that one

Basically I have no idea what I'm doing but I'd really love to mess around with the amp a bit but I can't really do that because I'm instrumentally and guitar retarded. The only amp I've ever used is a little baby 8-inch Crate GX-15 amp which is so incredibly simple to use.

So yeah, this dummy would appreciate your help. Thanks.

Could it be your guitar cable? If not, could it be your pickups or the jack on your guitar? If not, it could be the jack on the amp.

Not the cable. Cable's great. Again, the "Insert" jack works just fine, and I can play the guitar raw through that but that defeats the purpose (other than amplifying the guitar with a 120 watt amp). It works in my other amp, too.

It's also definitely not the guitar(s). All the guitars are fine, the pickups are fine. So are the jacks. Again, this isn't the only amp my (3) guitars have been plugged into. The amp is most certainly the broken part, something to do with the input.

It's not the fuse and it's not the speakers, so the problem has been isolated at the input. None of the nobs on the amp are functioning, and the input doesn't work. How I'd go about assessing the problem or fixing it from there is more than I'd know, though.

That's my final option but of course I want to try and do it myself if I can. Thing is... they're going to do the same shit that they did to me when I fixed up the bass guitar... rip me off and charge $75 for $10 worth of work. And tell me it will cost $35 and then after it's done claim that they never said that.

Back
Top Bottom