Recording our own music- WHERE TO Start???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-macphisto-

Refugee
Ok, I am greatly confused on where to start recording my music, or how. I look on ebay and I see tons fo diffrent mluti track recorders, and I have no idea which one to get or why get that one? I have heard that it is better to buy equipment for the computer, as it is better? I was planning on buying a multi track recorder for around 500$, but I dont know which one to get, or if it is a bad investment, or if I should buy recording stuff for my computer? (which I have no idea about) So if anyone is out there reading this please help me? Shold I bu a multi track recoreder? If so which one? Or should i bu stuff to record for my computer? I could bu a ZOOM MRS-802 MULTITRACK for 225, or a Roland 1680 with cd burner fxcard and 2.1 gig hdrive for 550$? And of course there are many more options? PLEASE HELP
Thanks

You can do both. I just thought if you went to a music store the staff would be able to show you how the buttons/controls work. And you could hear the differences in the sound quality. Something thats a bit difficult to do over the internet.

Just my $0.02 worth.

I'll leave you to it. cya

That is a good Idea, I will ask someone, and hopefully someone can help me here also.;

Get a Mac computer and get Protools. Then get microphones and interfaces and a mixing board. But first you should probably find someone to learn how to use all of those things and what equalization sounds good with what instrument and such.

the tourist said:
Get a Mac computer and get Protools. Then get microphones and interfaces and a mixing board. But first you should probably find someone to learn how to use all of those things and what equalization sounds good with what instrument and such.
So you think that I should go the comptuer way? What about dell computers?

the tourist said:

Absolutely right.

getting anything else is throwing money away.

What is cubase? Alos if I was to buy a multitrack recorder, which comany should I choose from? Boss, Roland, Zoom, Yamaha, Korg, Tascam? Which one is really good recorder but alos easy to understand?

i do my recording on my computer but that's only because i was given a recording program by a friend that's good for recording and mixing. i think it's more personal prefference if you want to use a computer or a multi track recorder.

Can anyone recommend me or tell me where i can get a good computer software program, cubase is 360$

Well I dont know, Im tring to find it online for free to download. What are the basics for home recording? The program, and then what else?

a good free program is Screenblast ACID XPress which is what i used to use before i bought a program. it's a little confusing to use at first but it's pretty good for mixing tracks and stuff, theres a set of instructions u can download if you're really confused. but if you want a really good quality program then you'll have to buy one.

if you're going to record at home then you're going to need at least one if not more really good microphones to get good sound quality out of whatever you record because even if u have the best recording program in the world it will not make bad microphones record good sound. i'd also suggest setting up in a really quiet room so you wont get any background noise recorded along with a good take because if that happens it's extreamly frustrating.

Hey, I have a question about Multi Track recorders, I can get either the Korg D1200 with cd burner, the Boss 1180 , or the Roland 1680 with cd burner fxcard and 2.1 gig hdrive, Zoom MRS 1266 CD Hard Disk Recorder Studio, BOSS BR-1180CD DIGITAL RECORDING STUDIO WITH CD BURNER? WHICH ONE SHOULD I GET? I can get them all for really cheap, and there all about the same price? ANYONE HELP?

i personally like BOSS equipment cuz it works really good for me but i've never tried any of their multi-track recorders so i can't be of much help to you. ask around at your local music stores and make sure to ask a whole bunch of different people for recomendations.

if you've got a computer with decent memory, protools x box is about $400.
a decent mike is about $150.
you can make quality recording with that setup.

I'm just a caveman, your technology frightens me.
I use an old analog Yamaha 4 track most of the time.
I also have Sonic Foundary and some digital programs for the PC.

Actually I don't know of any free downloads worth a damn. There used to be a few several years ago, but they have all gone to charging for their programs. Which makes sense I guess.

My computer is just too slow to be effective enough with digital PC recording, that's why I stay old school with my old 4 track.

One of these days I will join the 21st century, but my recording and mixing techniques have gotten so much better it's ridiculous.
Plus I think it makes you a better player. Something much more 'real time' about it. Going back and editing so easily almost seems like cheating. :)

cubase is fantastic, u guys should check it out its pretty straight forward to use, but try before you buy as with most expensive software :)

my band is set up in the garage of my friends house, and i was wondering if there would be any good way to seperately record all 4 instruments (drums, bass, guitar, vocals) onto something and be able to transfer the recordings to a computer where i can mix them into a track. do i use a bunch of mics and a multi-track recorder for that? i was thinking 4 compters for each instrument but that's kind of excessive.

Ok now I need to know what a good cheap microphone is? Any ideas? I was actually looking at the Marshall Microphones MXL 770 - does anybody know? Thanks, or the CAD GXL2400 ? or a Samson CL7

Last edited:
discothequeLP said:
i have sound forge and cool edit pro, but i was wondering how i get multi track recordings to my comp. . . from a mixer?

you can do it track by track.
time consuming and a bit arduous, but it will work.
as we know, if you try anything other than one channel at a time it gets shitty.

so go channel (track) one at a time.

Back
Top Bottom