quick question about Boss SD-1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

youtooellen

New Yorker
this is most likely a popular question asked.. but I think I forgot.

so I bought the boss sd-1 (super overdrive) pedal and I'm not sure how to chain it with my dd-6 pedal.
would it come after the delay, or before the delay? I'm considering adding another pedal and I'm not sure where to put it in the chain either. (it'll most likely be a fuzz pedal or a multieffect thing, probably a digitech rp or something)

and other than the question about the placement of the pedal, I was also wondering if it is a pedal that could be used for some U2 songs.
I was debating whether I should get a ds-1 or a od-1... but to be frank, I wasn't sure about the difference.
I tried them all out at guitar center and they all sounded pretty damn sweet, but I kind of figured that.. since I was playing with a deluxe strat into a marshall amp... I couldn't exactly identify the sound quality. (i have a crappy starters kit: guitar and amp)

the sd-1 I have isn't too great... and I'm thinking I could always trade it in for something with more... distortion, but I'm not sure what I should trade it in for in terms of attempting to play some U2 songs.

any help or advice at all will be greatly appreciated. :)

Delay comes usually after overdrive/distortion.

I think Edge used to use the SD-1, I remember seeing one on his rack on some Zoo TV era pics. Nowadays he goes for the boss OD overdrive and Ibanez TS-9 tubescreamer.

The great advantage of the SD-1 is that its board is close to that of the tubescreamer. So by exchanging a few components you can change the sound to that of a tubescreamer. I used a Monte Allums SD808 mod and by God, use that on a tube amp and you will be blown away.

My SD-808 modded SD-1 on an ENGL tube combo made a known metalhead water at the mouth. The normal SD-1 however he thought was shite. And it was, it lacked the punch the SD-808 had.

But tubescreamers need tube amps to shine, on transistor amps they sound thin.

Back
Top Bottom