Questions on gear to get the "U2 sound"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2popmofo

Blue Meth Addict
Hey, I'm planning on buying a new guitar, amp, etc in the next year and was wondering on what suggestions you U2-officionados had on what to get. Take in mind I'm not loaded with cash, and dont know if i want a Vox AC-30, i've heard they can be a little too loud for practice etc. I'm interested in a Strat., probably something being produced now, something good though, and have been interested in maybe a Vox AC-15, or possibly the new Fender Cybertwin, it has some U2-related presets, i heard one of them on the Fender webpage, it was pretty good. Anyways, i'm very interested in what you all have to say, i'm not that interested in having the exact same gear as the Edge, but I'd like something that i can come close with when I feel like playing some U2, hope to hear from you all soon! Oh ya, i have a Epiphone Les Paul Gold Top now, and want some new pickups (epiphone pickups suck), anyone know what's good for the U2 sound on a Les Paul?

[This message has been edited by u2popmofo (edited 01-28-2001).]

One thing you might try is change the view bar to 'view all topics'. This will let you find the old threads about their sound and such. I do know the address of a site that has a list of all their gear and helps on how to get the sound. I have to find the address, I'll post it later.

Johnny, I already have spent many an hour checkin' out that website, dont worry about it. I thought i made it obvious, i know what The Edge uses, I was just interested in what others have to say on what they think is pretty quality equipment
smile.gif
, thanks for replying though, good to know others here like to play music as well as listen to it!

Hey mate,

Got yourself a decent Fender Strat, perhaps USA or a good new Mexico model. Also the AC-15 is a great little amp, second hand it should be alot cheaper.

As for pickups in the LP I've always heard that Seymore Duncans are good 'uns. Try a '59 and a Jeff Beck for replacements to the Epi's.

cheers,

jules

Back
Top Bottom