question about Larry's drumming - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Even Better Than The Real Thing ??
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2005, 10:13 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 11:09 AM
question about Larry's drumming

for all you drummers out there, would you consider Larry a great drummer compared to other drummers from professional bands? is his technique good? i heard he kinda 'breaks' the rules cuz he taught himself. does he 'hit hard' compared to most drummers? i never see him with his arms crossed when drumming, but all other drummers do this, what does this mean?

marik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 09:03 AM   #2
The Fly

Local Time: 06:09 AM
Nowadays, Larry hits quite light for a rock drummer. He isn't regarded as a great drummer in musician circles but he fulfills his role in U2 to a tea and he is integral to their sound.

That being said he would never be regarded as a "session" musician...even Larry would admit this...

Kudos to him for the Vertigo tour though - the set is pretty upbeat (i.e. no b-stage stuff) and he is holding it all together night after night...

As for his technique, I can' t really comment as I am not a drummer but he does do some unique things (i.e. his one floor tom is on his left hand side etc...)

Cheers,
Brady

bradyvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 09:10 AM   #3
Acrobat

Local Time: 10:09 AM
Larry is not considered great in musician circles. In fact, I have friends who are studio/session drummers that I would consider better. But like bradyvox said, Larry fits the part for U2. He plays perfect with their style and he has even come up with a few good beats along the way (i.e. Bullet, Please, and Streets).

On an unrelated note, the drummer from Kasabian is unbelievable. I would recommend seeing Kasabian just to watch him.
OffAxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 09:28 AM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 03:09 AM
Yes, I have to admit, Larry is not one of the great drummers. I've been playing the drums for about a year and a half and I can play most U2 songs.

However, even though his beats are not very hard to play, some of the songs are quite physically demanding, such as Electric Co., Out of Control, I Will Follow.

Electric Co. is one of the few U2 songs that I find hard to play, as well as 40 and Please. In contrast, I think 'I Will Follow,' 'New Year's Day,' 'Beautiful Day,' and 'All Because of You,' are easy beats to play.

Quote:
Originally posted by bradyvox

As for his technique, I can' t really comment as I am not a drummer but he does do some unique things (i.e. his one floor tom is on his left hand side etc...)

Cheers,
Brady
Actually he has 2 floor toms, the standard one on the right, and one on the left that not many drummers have.
Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 11:57 AM   #5
The Fly

I think Larry is really bringing it on this tour. He sounds much much stronger and is hitter harder than he did on the Elevation tour. And he looks like he's actually enjoying himself, whereas before he always had that painful grimace look on his face. Go Larry!

That being said, he's no Jimmy Chamberlin or Danny Carey.
Ladera Heights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 09:47 PM   #6
War Child

Local Time: 05:09 AM
well i am actually a drummerand hears what i have to say.

hes not among the best(its easy to say keith moon and mitch mitchells are the best and larry mullens isnt close to them) but by no means is he bad.

he has somewat of a different sound to himself especially in the 80s(like for war and boy)

i had a chance to play like a song on drums myself and didnt find it too challenging(2 weeks to get it down perfectly)

Id also like to note his drumming is becoming more an more dissapointing as U2 releases more albums(hes less creative and the beats just arent that good anymore)
I'm Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:01 PM   #7
The Fly

As a bass player, I hate drummers in general. "Good drummers" are usually the ones who just frigin crazy and try to come up with a some crappy little fill for everything. I like a nice steady beat that sounds good to play along too. I pretty much learned the bass by playing along to U2 albums, so I love Larry.

One of the best drummers, imo. Certainly not a drumbags (my deragotory term for drummers).
theblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 01:40 AM   #8
New Yorker

There is banging a drum and there is getting a feeling out of it. Larry acheives the latter. Any tube can bang a drum..........me included. Larry is solid, watch toward the end of bad on rattle and hum and see larry in full flow.
gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 08:31 AM   #9
The Fly

A band is only as good as it's drummer! For U2's music? No need for Larry to get all Danny Carey or Carter Beauford-ish. Larry reminds me of a laid back Jon Bonham and there's nothing wrong with that.
mullenhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 06:01 PM   #10
Acrobat

larrys on fire this four

does anyone know if both his floor toms are 16"?
aussiedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 10:11 PM   #11
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by aussiedge
larrys on fire this four

does anyone know if both his floor toms are 16"?
Yes they are
Old 06-07-2005, 01:06 PM   #12
The Fly

Apparently to brian eno or lanois larry is one of the most powerful drummers he hits quite hard.
I'm not a drummer but I can drum and he has alot of stamina in his playing as well and he keeps the beat very tight it's quite hard to keep up with him. His drum rolls are immaculate (hailing from his days in the artane boys band).

You can't really define a technique for drumming but in the earlier albums his military style drumming could be heard...he's developed into quite a minimalist he only plays for the song.

And you don't need to cross your arms all the time cos you can play what you are playing on a ride cymbal (usually the largest one on the right) thats why he does cross his arms much.

But all the different snare sounds he uses is quite good aswell i don't how he does that yet probably tightens and loosens the snare.
SWlondnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 01:16 PM   #13
Refugee

why do so many other drummers always have their arms crossed when playing?
Old 06-07-2005, 09:26 PM   #14
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by marik
why do so many other drummers always have their arms crossed when playing?
Because the hi-hat is located to the left of the snare. And that is because we have to control it with our left feet, because we already have our right feet occupied with the bass drum. The most common and basic beats are played with the hi-hat, snare, and bass drums.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:27 AM   #15
Refugee

so then why does Larry almost NEVER cross his arms? are his hi-hats located elsewhere? does he not use hi-hats?
Old 06-08-2005, 01:39 AM   #16
The Fly

This is my final thought on the matter: Larry is a true musician, while most drummers are simply drummers. Drummers=drumbags. Every memember of U2 is a musician, that's why U2 is the best band to ever record.

End of Story (for all Boys and Girls).
theblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 04:45 AM   #17
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by theblazer
This is my final thought on the matter: Larry is a true musician, while most drummers are simply drummers. Drummers=drumbags. Every memember of U2 is a musician, that's why U2 is the best band to ever record.

amen
SWlondnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 07:01 AM   #18
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by theblazer

LMAO!
Flying FuManchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 09:27 AM   #19
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by marik
so then why does Larry almost NEVER cross his arms? are his hi-hats located elsewhere? does he not use hi-hats?
lol, of course Larry uses a hi-hat. and for every drummer, the hi-hat has to be basically in the same position, the left of the snare. Larry uses the hi-hat most of the time. sometimes he crosses his arms, for some tunes he uses both arms for the hi-hat while alternating one with the snare. go to the elevation boston video, you can see him using the hi-hat in: Elevation, UTEOTW, Stuck, Kite, I will follow (whole song is arms crossed), sunday bloody sunday, in a little while (cross arms whole song), bad, bullet (cross arms whole song), and walk on.

in the elevation boston video, you may not get a good look. but go to the popmart video, and when the camera is behind larry in songs such as new years day, the thing that looks like a cymbal that larry hits most of the time during that song is the hi-hat.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:52 PM   #20
Acrobat

It seems to me that he taught himself to rock the hats with right hand instead of the left and when he hits the snare he moves his right to the snare and hits the hats with his left. Somewhat unconventional but visually it looks cool because you can exaggerate the arc of the left hand because you have all the time in the world to bring it down on the 2 and the 4. The early footage of him playing he does this pretty much exclusively but he started moving away from it in the 90's and worked in a more traditional cross armed style. I've noticed that he goes back to his old habits sometimes when playing the older songs. When we play New Years Day I sometimes work the "Larry's Backwards Hat" style in just because it's fun and looks cool.

skott100 is offline   Reply With Quote