Question about drums.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NO.. unless you wanna just futz around. The sounds are cheezy and they will teach you bad habits if you ever REALLY wanna play drums. You need to have the spacings at least SIMILAR to a real kit. The one you posted is for playing around and maybe laying down a cheezy drum track. At least this is my opinion...

Atrivis is technically right. I know alot of people play on those, but even the best of the best say you need to practice and learn on a set. Even if you just wanted to learn the beginnings and just got a snare or a practice pad, that would be good enough to practice and mess around with. Either that or see about renting a set or something for a weekend and just have it set up for that weekend.

Yeah, its just that its a christmas present option, and, for all I *could* get a cheap proper set, I dont know if it'd be a good idea, as Im the type that doesnt like making noise.

I know you can get silenceing pads but that sort of defeats the object. Also these are from a catalogue so my mum would be far happier getting them. :slant:

Unless I get a saxophone...but theyre £400, and again, noise problem. :(

I also, could get those full size electic ones, which Ive heard are quite good. I sort of need to get something from a catalogue though, or at least a monthly payment deal, which they dont do in the music shops round here. :grumpy:

I would get a "true" electronic kit. Buy some pieces now and get others later. Also... you "should" use real tin as the syntesized ones never sound quite right (to me). But this is a more expensive option.

If you wanna LEARN how to drum, get a real kit and deal with the noise for now. Save up some money and buy the synthesized kit later on. If you learn on that "thing" you will have a tough time learning a real kit. Again... it's really meant for futzing around and playing with. The sounds will not be very good as you get what you pay for. You would be better off going to a music store and seeing used stuff. Who knows... maybe they have a full electronic kit for a decent price. Or you may be stuck with a "real" kit, which I prefer anyways.

On another note... if you want to get into music but are worried about noise, it's not an easy thing to do. Yes, you can plug guitars into headphones, but they never sound right... But that would be the best way to get into music and be as silent as possible.. As for playing drums? They are loud... of course they make noise. Unless you have the bucks to pick up something that is comparable to a real kit, it won't sound very good at all. And, again... you won't really be learning how to play drums if you use that thing you posted. My friend/guitarist can play the hell out of the drum sounds on keybosrd. But he can't DRUM. There is a difference...

Good luck!

Last edited:
Hmm. Ok, I might just bite the bullet and get a proper set. How do these look? only a cheap set, but a set nevertheless...

Mo' drums

Ill have to get silencer pads though, or neighbours will be sending letters though the door. :| Any Idea how much they are? Or even any cheap alternatives?

I mean, maybe drums are different, I dont like playing the guitar loudly incase someone hears me play it badly, and its not like you can play wrong notes on a drum. :lol:

anyway, if I do get these, theres still the question of persuading my parents to let me have them. :der:

I can't see the link. Silencers should help a bit. The only thing I would make sure were decent is the tin. If you get REALLY cheap tin, you would be amazed at how bad it can sound. Keep the stock one you want and use money you collect to replace the tin first. Perhaps a better crash, ride and high hat, depending on what sounds better, replace it in the order that is best for you. If you repost that link, I will take a gander at it. Take care!

As for silencers... they should cost about $25-@30 for an ok set. Not too expensive. Check them out on the net. And if you have a garage, play it there... it will be quieter as well as adding a pillow to the bass drum. Just little hints. Hell... you can buy the foam padding "egg crates" for beds and use that to insulate parts of the room. But with the silencers AND the pillow, you should be OK. Just use 'em during the day. And if someone complains... tell them it's a free country. Just don't play them at 1am and it SHOULD be fine. use it
Atrivis

Last edited:
"Tin" is the cymbals. rides and hi-hat. Anything that is metal, in essence. A really bad one sounds just HORRIBLE. This one comes with a pair of cymbals and ONE stand. This is OK to start. Eventually you may want another stand to have to Crash cymbals of different sizes. Everything there seems to be workable. The ONLY thing I would recommend that does NOT come here is a "Ride" cymbal. These are the LARGE, thicker cymbals used kinda like the hi-hat. You could use this without one, but I would eventually buy a ride and the stand. It would drastically change the type of music you can play. At least this is my opinion.

Here is a cheap Ride don't know how good, but maybe OK for starters plus it's CHEAP.

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/20427

And heres's a cheap stand. I like my Ride high while others like them low. I like stands in this style... This is a cheap one as well... don't know how good...

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/32935

Again.. I don't KNOW these products and they ARE cheap so don't expect the best. BUT they will get you started. For the boom stand, I prefer a BEEFIER model, but this will suffice for the beginning. If you start to like it, you can always change out pieces at a time.

The last thing I would recommend is going to a Music Store and looking at USED kits. They usually have knowledgeable workers and you might find a better kit for the same price. I won't guarantee it, but it is something I would definitely consider.

Good luck... Let me know what you decide...

Yeah, there arnt too many second hand stores here, unless I was to put up an ad in a supermarket.

Ill bare in mind what you said anyway. :)

BTW, you know those full sized electric drums, are they worth a look in at all? I heard you can get those quite reasonably.

A 5-piece electric kit is a good deal more expensive than a starter 5-piece acoustic kit.

Roland makes a kit, the HD-1, that's all completely self contained. Without monitor, stool or sticks it's $800. With those things, it's $1000.

I was told by a music shop guy they can go as low as £250. :huh:

Actually though, as much as Id love some drums, I think its unlikely Ill be getting them. This year at least. I think Ill settle for a keyboard, as its far cheaper, and takes up less space.

theres always the drum settings if Im desperate. :wink:

£250 is roughly $500 US dollars, right? Yeah, you can get a Simmons kit for about that much, but all the reviews I've read of them are terrible.

I've never bought electronic drums, but I've been looking into it, and the more I read the more I get the impression that it is absolutely something that you can't cut corners on in terms of price.

Atrivis said:
NO.. unless you wanna just futz around. The sounds are cheezy and they will teach you bad habits if you ever REALLY wanna play drums. You need to have the spacings at least SIMILAR to a real kit. The one you posted is for playing around and maybe laying down a cheezy drum track. At least this is my opinion...

I agree

Back
Top Bottom