Question about Acrobat and Love is blindness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
The opening keyboard notes in Love is blindness, and the notes of the guitar in Acrobat (at "when I first met you girl...face of melting snow" part and a bit later at the "and I'd join the movement...if there was a church I could receive in" lines) - are those similar/the same or not ?

Acrobat is a step down from it, (LIB's organ melody starts at the note F, the lick in Acrobat starts at E) but yeah, they are very close otherwise.

I've never really bothered with exact tabs, too much of a hassle to transcribe and too little interest in aping the original versions down to the tee. I recommend not doing this, especially to those of you who are younger and play in bands or want to play in bands. Better to add your own spins and creativity than being a walking jukebox. JMO.

That said, I can give you a basic version that you can play and sing along to or whatever. If you are interested in aping Edge down to the tee, I won't be of much help, especially with all the complicated effects set-ups he uses. Good luck with that.

Edge doesn't follow the rules on Acrobat as he normally does.
He is playing variations of his A-minor riffage over most of the verses.
So you can play it like he plays it and it won't make much tuneful sense unless you are playing over the root (bass) notes. So this is a basic chord version that mirrors the album version as closely as I can get it - and still be basic (no 'strange' chords).

Acrobat (standard tuning)
Intro: Am
Verse: *Am-G-F-G

"now it looks like this..." and then later "because I need it now" : C
Chorus:
Am Am F G

"bridge"
F Am
(starts singing) F G

the actual "solo" base chords (5 measures):
1) Am, 2) Am, 3) Am, 4) D then G, 5) C
without the actual solo notes over the top, this doesn't sound very tuneful either.
So I would recommend playing a variation here or a verse fill.
Playing the verse bit* again has you ending up on C, so that works out nicely.

Outro
Am-Am-F-G (repeating all the way out)

for the record, the signature 'wail' is something like this:
B--10--------5---------
G--9---------5---------
he is still playing variations of this while Adam plays F and D during the verses.
So you could surely concoct some variations of major chords and play a fancier version.
How do I play this? I play the basic chords with variations here and there but I didn't want to make it any more confusing than it needs to be, so I didn't add them.

Love is Blindness
Very basic chord version- half step down.
Bm-A-G-Em-Bm-F#-Bm
Bridge/"a little death"
C-Bm-F#-Bm-C-Bm-F#

I usually play this higher up with variated arpeggios using these chords, lots of delay, ZooTV style. If you know the chords you can pluck it out thusly to your heart's desire.
Or if you actually want an exact tab, someone else might have one.

Hope at least one person found this useful.

theres a few songs where edge does use the same chord figures. For example:

The main riff figure for 'streets' is like the figure used for the live version of 'Running to Stand Still' ZOO TV era, and also the chorus for 'breathe'.

Also the album version solo of 'mysterious ways', you can hear a little bit of the chorus of 'Beautiful Day' in that. Just played much differently, but pretty much some of the same notes.

Back
Top Bottom