Pre-orders for 2016 Fender Edge Stratocaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fender is doing this "replica of famous guitar" thing as far as even cloning the white Wolfgang model that EVH has used in the tour last year and selling it around 13,000 dollars. now that's overpriced. sure it's got cool relic'ing but still. it's just Wolfgang with kill switch.

If there are people willing to pay $13.000 for a Wolfgang with a kill switch, who am I to blame Fender? :wink:

Such a guitar would probably not see much action though, it would most likely go straight into a glass cabinet.

Such a guitar would probably not see much action though, it would most likely go straight into a glass cabinet.

it has kinda interesting relic job, though; the black paint is under the white one so when the damage is happening in the finish you can see the back paint underneath (tons of so-called "replica" guitars are doing this weird refinishing nowadays; I remember David Gilmour strat had sunburst under the black finish). but what's weird is that the guy who started out from self-made guitar with 1 pickup and 1 vol. knob (because he couldn't wire things properly) now charging guar with fake distressing seems kinda weird to me. and I know this is kinda unrelated to U2. yeah, if these guitars are just made to be an art piece, I don't want Edge to make one.

It's so weird that this guitar isn't as marketed as other lines of fender guitar like American Elite (some said it is "okay" but doesn't justify the price tag) and Jimi signature (the wrongest signature model so far from Fender).

http://youtu.be/TgJUUIgTXeI

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

oh my lord I remember doom-kun posted vids of Edge visiting Fender factory a while ago and I wonder what it was for.

anyway, Edge said there were 9 prototypes and he used them all. so I guess that settles the argument of how many strats he had on tour (not sure he included ones with Sustainer).

Last edited:
I hope those soundbites from the end was from SOE.

also, I kinda love that when he's in studio, he's not hiding non-fender guitars; i feel like lots of people with endorsement hide gear that's not endorsed (i.e. Paul Gilbert always uses Gibson copy made by Ibanez (so-called lawsuit era guitars) instead of using actual Gibson guitar. I know that's deal and all but still feels uncomfortable for some reason).

Last edited:
I love that picture of Edge on the top of that page is from 360 tour where he wasn't using that guitar. or did he....?

some people are commenting on YouTube that this guitar is underwhelming or kinda bad; is that really true or are people just hating on Edge?

Can't believe no one's talking about that spectacular new song at 4:45. Wow. That is a new song, right?

some people are commenting on YouTube that this guitar is underwhelming or kinda bad; is that really true or are people just hating on Edge?

I have not heard one person who bought one that said it is nothing less than a great guitar.

Those making negative comments are probably just U2 haters, never even tried the Edge Strat and more likely - both.

what I found intriguing is that in that video, Edge played couple of songs that's normally played Les Paul (like One, Beautiful Day, Stuck in a moment, etc). so......will he replace all the guitars strats eventually? like he did in Lovetown? or am i just way too paranoid about this for no reason?

Well, it's a Fender Strat with some better then average pickups. You could get one like that for less. So in that sense its not really that special except for Edge's signature. I could see haters going to hate over that. Of course the exact same can be said about most artist signature guitars. Plus a lot of guitarists are haters.

On a pedal building forum somebody posted a thread about how he went to a punk rock show to support a band of a friend of his and where after the show the band members were giving him grief because he used pedals. Because apparently real musicians don't use pedals. The irony of punk musicians styling themselves as real musicians being deliciously lost irony on them as well.

To make a long story short, people have very preconceived ideas about things, especially in regards to identity. And whatever doesn't fit with that identity they'll going to make fun off at best and actually hate at worst. If your identity as a musician is to be able to play a million notes per second, Edge is a hack. If your musical identity is as a straight into a tube amp guitarist then Edge is a hack (although the first U2 albums that formed Edge as a player are basically very close to that). It doesn't help that deep down every guitarists dreams of making it big and playing in stadiums. But 99.9% of them don't even make it to a venue that can handle more then a hundred people. And to see that some hack not only manages to make it big, play stadiums and get his own signature gear, yeah, that does create major cognitive dissonance between their preconceived identities and reality. And expresses itself in virulent youtube commentary hatred. Because even if you are a musical nobody, you can still leave a vitriolic comment and then feel better about yourself. Hmm, maybe not so long story short after all. :wink:

what I found intriguing is that in that video, Edge played couple of songs that's normally played Les Paul (like One, Beautiful Day, Stuck in a moment, etc). so......will he replace all the guitars strats eventually? like he did in Lovetown? or am i just way too paranoid about this for no reason?

He's probably playing those on this guitar because he thinks those are famously recognizable songs. Plus maybe those are songs he just likes to play on the guitar whenever he feels the need to play something? I wouldn't think to much of it.

jokes aside, though, I am still pretty surprised by the fact that his sig strat is considerably bass-y, so much more than his actual 70s strats he's used in 360 tour and prior.

he said he made 9 prototypes for this sig model.... that solves question about number of strats used in IE tour. I now wonder how all the prototypes differ from each other. especially the one that looked eerie similar to his "blackie"

Last edited:
On a pedal building forum somebody posted a thread about how he went to a punk rock show to support a band of a friend of his and where after the show the band members were giving him grief because he used pedals. Because apparently real musicians don't use pedals. The irony of punk musicians styling themselves as real musicians being deliciously lost irony on them as well.

To make a long story short, people have very preconceived ideas about things, especially in regards to identity. And whatever doesn't fit with that identity they'll going to make fun off at best and actually hate at worst. If your identity as a musician is to be able to play a million notes per second, Edge is a hack. If your musical identity is as a straight into a tube amp guitarist then Edge is a hack (although the first U2 albums that formed Edge as a player are basically very close to that). It doesn't help that deep down every guitarists dreams of making it big and playing in stadiums. But 99.9% of them don't even make it to a venue that can handle more then a hundred people. And to see that some hack not only manages to make it big, play stadiums and get his own signature gear, yeah, that does create major cognitive dissonance between their preconceived identities and reality. And expresses itself in virulent youtube commentary hatred. Because even if you are a musical nobody, you can still leave a vitriolic comment and then feel better about yourself. Hmm, maybe not so long story short after all. :wink:

Ugh, this. Imo, you can't be playing guitar for nearly 40 years in that frequent and public of a way and be considered a bad guitar player. Talent doesn't always equal shredding as fast as humanly possible or using jazz chords all the time.

jokes aside, though, I am still pretty surprised by the fact that his sig strat is considerably bass-y, so much more than his actual 70s strats he's used in 360 tour and prior.

he said he made 9 prototypes for this sig model.... that solves question about number of strats used in IE tour. I now wonder how all the prototypes differ from each other. especially the one that looked eerie similar to his "blackie"

The nine guitars were not set in stone. Each were getting different pickups to try out, different necks... As they zeroed in on what Edge felt were the best combinations of body weight, neck shape and wood, fretboard, pickups etc

The nine guitars were not set in stone. Each were getting different pickups to try out, different necks... As they zeroed in on what Edge felt were the best combinations of body weight, neck shape and wood, fretboard, pickups etc

oh so it was fair that i couldn't any differences between strats he played in IE tour?

only complain was that his strat (silver one) used for SBS was pretty ear-piercingly bright

seems that some guitars the body is alder and other ones ash. and later the fretboard rosewood or maple

Enviado desde mi iPad con U2 Interference

seems that some guitars the body is alder and other ones ash. and later the fretboard rosewood or maple

Enviado desde mi iPad con U2 Interference

Im sure the body weight is the big factor him for this guitar; probably some people could've wanted more "modern" fender features like S1 switching (has anyone tried any strats/teles with these extra wiring capabilities?), but i guess Edge is used to more old-fashioned strats.

It looks nice any everything but I like rosewood fretboards personally, so when I was just shopping for a new Strat, I didn't even consider it. Not that anyone cares, but I wound up with a sonic blue Nash S-63.

Oh, I LOVE maple fretboards. But that is only purely because of Edge's Black Strat on Under a Bloodred Sky. Its a visual preference as either wood feels exactly the same to me. Hell, three of the four guitars I've built so far had rosewood necks because they worked better visually with the color theme.

Im starting to feel fretboard material doesn't matter too much as we think of. 'cause what touches the string is the fret wire not the board.

well I am kinda determined that my next fender-style guitar will be G&L, but I need non-Fender guitar first, so......that won't happen for a while.

If Fender comes up with painstakingly amazing Jazzmaster, then I might be swayed, though.

Im starting to feel fretboard material doesn't matter too much as we think of. 'cause what touches the string is the fret wire not the board.

It probably does matter, although it remains to be seen how much of that will shine through once you send your guitar signal through a shitload of effects and/or overdriven amps. Plus there's still the tactile feel as your fingers will still touch the fretboard.

Back
Top Bottom