Post your rigs! - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Even Better Than The Real Thing ??
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2010, 11:04 PM   #121
War Child

Local Time: 08:58 PM
This is just me, but as nice as full-on AC15s and AC30s are, if you're primarily going to be playing in your house and want to get more bang for your buck, I'd say either get VoxVT series amp that models various amps, or get a multi-effects unit like a PodX3 Live or something that will take care of amps and effects.

Traditional full-tube amps like the AC15s and AC30s are great amps and sound wonderful, but

a) they're very expensive
b) they're louder than hell

So if you're going to be playing pretty much for yourself and not in a band, then I personally don't think they are good fits as a practice amp for your home.

But hey, if you are going to play with other people and can afford one, an AC15 would sound great. It's just going to cost a lot more.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:42 PM   #122
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge_Orchestra View Post
A cheaper alternative to the Celestion Blue but sounds just as lovely. I bought my AC15 from Mick (The Unforgettable Fire - NY tribute). He'd done the mod form the greenbacks to the Alnico Blue.

Be sure to get the ALNICO BLUE NOT the Ceramic.
Yeah, I've been told to get the AlNiCo. I haven't decided for sure yet, but one thing I've thought about doing is just replacing one of the Greens in my TB. Matching a Green with a Blue could be the best of both worlds.... Either way, I'm also planning on either putting a Green from the TB or a Blue that I buy into my Blues Jr. to replace the Fender stock speaker.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:29 AM   #123
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theedgeu2 View Post
I have my birthday coming up and I'm wanting to know if I should use my money ($200.00) and get a multi effects unit or save for an AC15? This probably quite fairly obvious as to where to go. And I know it's totally my decision but I was just wondering on what your opinion(s) are?
Line 6 M13 will go a long way. You can certainly get a lot of Edge-worthy tones with it. Retail is $499.00 but you can find used on ebay for $399 and under. You can find deals on new ones too. I got a new one for $420 - no tax - free shipping.

AC15CC's run about $599 w/greenback speakers.
Buy Vox Custom AC15C1 15W 1x12 Tube Guitar Combo Amp | Tube Combo Amps | Musician's Friend

$949 with Celestion Blues.
Buy Vox Custom Classic AC15CC1X 15w 1x12 Tube Guitar Combo Amp with Alnico Blues | Tube Combo Amps | Musician's Friend

In short, my advice is to save the $200.00, save some additional cash... and go for an AC15 OR Line 6 M13.

Better to wait, save and get better gear than to get something "just for now" or to get by... and regret it later... than have to try to sell that substandard gear.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:35 PM   #124
Blue Crack Addict

E_O, you'll have to let me know how you like the M13. Like whether it colours the sound when not in use. Eventually, I'm thinking of either getting one of them or the TC Electronics G System... someday.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:40 PM   #125
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Guess what arrived in the mail today? Brand new Line 6 M13 !!

I got a good deal on eBay. Sells for $499.00. I got mind for $419.00 (tax free / free shipping). Had it delivered to work... can't wait to get home and test it out and get some U2 tones together.

Just got a new pedaltrain pedalboard. (pic below)

So the M13 will go on the left side, next to the other pedals.

Although, I ALSO just got a Durham Sex Drive. So I plan to make room for that on the board too.

:Y :P :+ :M

Good fun.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:20 PM   #126
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Location: Secretly listening to a U2 record that's beyond the greatness of Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree while eating brownies. In The Hive™.
How's the M13 Edge O? I'm curious of the delays and reverbs. I know Line 6 makes fantastic delays so shouldn't be any issue there.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:09 AM   #127
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
How's the M13 Edge O? I'm curious of the delays and reverbs. I know Line 6 makes fantastic delays so shouldn't be any issue there.
Fantastic all the way around. Essentially the M13 contains the Line 6 DM4 (distortion modeler), DL4 (delay modeler), FM4 (filter modeler), MM4 (modulation modeler) and Verbzilla.

So to answer your question - Fantastic and Fantastic. I had a DL4, MM4 and Verbzilla. I sold them and used the proceeds of the auction to get this. Essentially I got more effects for a mere additional $60.00

In that I also got a unit that I hear you can get updates of software and firmware from Line6.com. (I need to learn more about this)

And as you might know, the Verbzilla reverb has an Octo setting that mimics the orchestral "shimmer" sound that Edge uses. The M13 also has that Octo setting.

Is it "Edge-tone-in-a-box"? Not exactly but it is pretty close for a number of Edge tones. And for a retail price of $500, it is a huge value for the money.

You can get them cheaper. Used they run $350-$450 on ebay. I got mine NEW on eBay for $420.00
Old 02-25-2010, 12:50 PM   #128
Blue Crack Addict

Hm. One thing I was really unimpressed about on the DL4 was the lack of a dotted note option. I think probably if I get an all-in-one system, I'll go for the TC.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:46 PM   #129
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Location: Secretly listening to a U2 record that's beyond the greatness of Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree while eating brownies. In The Hive™.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge_Orchestra View Post
Fantastic all the way around. Essentially the M13 contains the Line 6 DM4 (distortion modeler), DL4 (delay modeler), FM4 (filter modeler), MM4 (modulation modeler) and Verbzilla.

So to answer your question - Fantastic and Fantastic. I had a DL4, MM4 and Verbzilla. I sold them and used the proceeds of the auction to get this. Essentially I got more effects for a mere additional $60.00

In that I also got a unit that I hear you can get updates of software and firmware from Line6.com. (I need to learn more about this)

And as you might know, the Verbzilla reverb has an Octo setting that mimics the orchestral "shimmer" sound that Edge uses. The M13 also has that Octo setting.

Is it "Edge-tone-in-a-box"? Not exactly but it is pretty close for a number of Edge tones. And for a retail price of $500, it is a huge value for the money.

You can get them cheaper. Used they run $350-$450 on ebay. I got mine NEW on eBay for $420.00
Very very cool!! I looked on eBay and think there's one for around $250?

And the octo setting is on the M13? YESSSSSS!!!!! I think I know what I'm looking for! I read that they updated it with a pitch glider thingy and you can update the m13 with it. I think you need a MIDI to USB cable? Anyone can help me on that part? Anyway I'm not a genius on that level.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:43 AM   #130
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:58 PM
Quote:
Very very cool!! I looked on eBay and think there's one for around $250?

And the octo setting is on the M13? YESSSSSS!!!!! I think I know what I'm looking for! I read that they updated it with a pitch glider thingy and you can update the m13 with it. I think you need a MIDI to USB cable? Anyone can help me on that part? Anyway I'm not a genius on that level.

i don't know about the m13, but i have line 6 pod xt live, and that just needs a printer usb cable.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:50 PM   #131
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

ok so the M13 is in the mail and should be here tomorow morning. I can't wait and am soooo excited! Hopefully I'll get to use it some before heading off to band practice tomorrow. I have to get the camera out and do some youtube demos using some of my Scenes. I'll have feedback tomorrow on the unit.

Oh and btw I got it off eBay in great condition for the same price of a brand new M9.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:59 PM   #132
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Well I've had a heck of a time messing around with the M13 and I have to say that it is the most incredible unit I've had the privilage to use. I haven't upgraded yet (any comments on a MIDI cable anyone?) and I am still shocked at the sounds one can produce, so I can't wait to upgrade this sucker!

The delays and reverbs sound great! Although I much prefer Spring reverb than anything else. The Octo setting (one of the bigger reasons I bought this pedal) has blown me away. Oh the spacey atmospheres I have created thusfar. I am soon to be off for filming the video to put on youtube. It'a great little unit that doesn't seem to lack anywhere at all really. The dist. were my main concern when I got it but they sound much better than anyone had described. The screamer sounds excellent. Perfect for U2 (of course cause Edge has a TS9). I have made a few different scenes but not saved them. So if anyone out there wants a great sorta do-it-all unit, the M13 by Line 6 is not a bad choice at all.

Video review soon to be posted...
Old 03-14-2010, 12:49 PM   #133
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I have a question for any M13 owners or Verbzilla owners. The Octo setting on my M13 distorts everytime I use it. I'm talking just straight Guitar>Octo>Amp. I was wondering did/are anyone having this issue? I thought it might be a cable. I went out and bought a new cable, didn't solve the problem. Could be the amp too.

As for the youtube vid I promised, I'm working on it.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:20 AM   #134
War Child

Can't say I've had that happen with mine. I keep the tone all the way down for the Octo setting though so it doesn't sound so harsh.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:12 AM   #135
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill Mike D View Post
Can't say I've had that happen with mine. I keep the tone all the way down for the Octo setting though so it doesn't sound so harsh.
I guess it depends on the EQ of the amp you're running it through. On my Blues Jr. I run the Octo at about halfway on the tone. Sounds excellent.