Pod Pro - what does The Edge use this for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ewen

Rock n' Roll Doggie
So this has probably been asked and answered a billion times already, so please forgive me. It's out of interest more than anything.

I was able to acquire an old Pod Pro for next to nothing, knowing Mr Edge has a couple in his rack. Apart from possibly using the rotary speaker for One, I'm not really sure what else he's using this unit for. It's in my rack but to be honest I haven't used it, haven't even played around it with it very much and of course it's using up valuable rack space ;). I know some of you folks have the newer PODs and perhaps use it as a substitute for other Edge effects but does anyone know where and when The Edge uses his?

Of course, unless your name is Dave Evans or Dallas Schu, that a lot of answers are educated guesses but educated guesses are cool. :)

So this has probably been asked and answered a billion times already, so please forgive me. It's out of interest more than anything.

I was able to acquire an old Pod Pro for next to nothing, knowing Mr Edge has a couple in his rack. Apart from possibly using the rotary speaker for One, I'm not really sure what else he's using this unit for. It's in my rack but to be honest I haven't used it, haven't even played around it with it very much and of course it's using up valuable rack space ;). I know some of you folks have the newer PODs and perhaps use it as a substitute for other Edge effects but does anyone know where and when The Edge uses his?

Of course, unless your name is Dave Evans or Dallas Schu, that a lot of answers are educated guesses but educated guesses are cool. :)

I've heard they are used for amp sims. HiWatt simulation for "Beautiful Day" and "Elevation" would be two likely suspects.

There are probably other uses. I think that I also read that the POD was ran direct to the Front of House mix and that Joe O'Herlihy can blend in a signal from that with the mic'd amp sound. But I will have to find where I heard that.... I don't remember off the top of my head...

Not sure that the Pod Pro (the early one) has HiWatt simulation (I can't find it) but with playing around with it this morning I was able to get close to the 'fuzz' sound of the Elevation verse with Modern Hi Gain #2 fully driven. Hmm, I might have fallen in love with this little box.

I think he uses pod for bullet. Tomorrow i'll uploa a picture where you can see pod led on looper in light, during bullet. Intro or solo...

photostream

That's not the Pod Pro. Pod Pro are the two red units in the middle of the left hand rack.

line-6-pod-series-pod-pro-329756.jpg

If you are talking about the red lights on the switcher, kind of hard to see what those lights are for, in that photo.

As for his use of the Pod Pro... could be the rotary for "One". I do remember hearing that it was used for Beautiful Day to mimic the HiWatt. Perhaps one of the Marshall settings on the Pod Pro.

It is quite possible that it was used for the crunchy sounds on "Bullet..."

he used the distortions on it :)
as per Guitar world video on you
tube.

BB

I thought the Guitar World video mentioned the custom made Line 6 Distortion modeler DM4 - (Made for Edge) but not the Line 6 Pod Pro, in regards to distortions.

Which makes sense as that issue of GW was from the Vertigo tour when the Line 6 DM4 rack mount was first used by The Edge.

you understand? I Confirm that i say... I own a Pod... and it sounds perfect. i can upload more pictures... I'm bassed of in the last unit there's a blue light and that light is on the centerr of the 19" rack. and the MR8 has 8 light and between 4 and 5 light is situated the center. This is the reason i know this is the Pod. Pod has the label BL5

2nd MR8 (B) Fifth position

the seetings for Bullet is the Next one:

Intro: Pod Pro + TC2290B
Verse: Wah + FA1 + TC2290B
Chorus: FA1+ TC2290B
Pre-solo: Wah + Pod Pro + TC2290B
Solo: CS-2 + TC2290B

Jeff 1.39 'the pod pro's that he uses over here,the red units,he uses some distortion sounds off of that.

u2 the edge guitar rack video tour - YouTube

the pod pro was brought into the ATYCLB sessions by Danny Lanois
if i remember right? its used on 'Beautiful day' and 'Elevation' live
'one' leslie part live and other tunes as listed by the rig spotters.

i actually asked 'edge' in dublin nov 2004 about any new rack gear
to which 'edge' replied he has two custom line6 units, which was
at the time the DM4 Pros.

cheers BB

I've always wondered why Edge would use the original Pod. And continued to use it. Its amp sims generally leave much to be desired about compared to the real deal. Even more so to later modelers. There's a reason why the Pod Pro seems to be only popular with Grindcore guitarists, having a shitty sounds seems to be what they're all about and the Pod is to them what the Boss HM-2 is to those who seek that classic Swedish Death Metal sound.

Leave it to Edge I reckon to a find a diamond in a pile of mud.

I think on some Facebook group (feels like E_O is there) I've seen something that seemed like a touring rig of Edge and he still has Pod Pro in addition to Axe-fx. I thought he could ditch them and all that but.....

I just requested to be added to the group, if anyone here is a member and can let me in that would be great.

Maybe hehe. I think he used that for elevation only... he had the pod pro in a independent flight case during the roxy gig and they played elevation there

Back
Top Bottom