Played guitar today for the first time in a long time...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2popmofo

Blue Meth Addict
It was great. I want to get back into playing a lot.

What do you all do to practice, and what do you do so that you dont get bored practicing?

I don't have a guitar anymore and it makes me sad that I don't. I miss it.

Speaking of Def Leppard, I spent forever with my guitar teacher in high school learning Bringing on the Heartbreak. That song is a bitch, probably cause there's 2 guitar players in a band. I could play the solo, very slowly, but I could still play it.

I think it something that I want to take up again. I miss it too much.

You all do the same crap I do.

I need to find someone else to practice with though, that would be fun.

How are your finger tips?
I hadn't played much guitar for a while. I'd quite enjoyed not gardening( during the drought) and letting my fingernails grow. They were like talons:macdevil: So it made guitar playing, especially some chords, nigh on impossible.
The rains came, the garden beckoned, the fingernails are gone. I had a big guitar-playing singsong session last week...and the next day, my fingertips were throbbing. Oh the pain, the pain!
Anyway, my sons have taught themselves to play guitar by listening to the songs they like, downloading tablature from the net and going for it.
My middle son has a garage band, a student film maker is doing a video clip for them. I can't wait to see it. My son is very photogenic ( got the looks from his father, not me).
I used to take my sons to see as many guitarists as were accessible to them (there are not many gigs that you can take kids to) Phil Emmanuel wrote an autograph I like, so I'll say it to you...

".......keep on picking little fella......"

:edge: :heart: :yes:

"I think it something that I want to take up again. I miss it too much."
You must do it..!!!!! After all what' stopping you. Live you passion.

I love learning new songs but for the life of me I cant read music so I have to listen and then try to play what I just heard

Learn to read music. Whatever it takes...

Hey, from what I understand U2 didn't have formal training either. Just years of experience..... Even though it doesn't matter at this stage, they are world renouned..

Last edited:
if i'm bored i try to learn something new. i can't read music but if i'm really bored i try...that's never productive cos i end up in a sea of papers after trying to write down everything

usually i put on a cd and try to learn a particular song and hit the wrong notes and accidentally learn how to play another song: playing WOWY. hey! that sounded more like Still Haven't found...*plays it again* cool! *changes track on cd and learns different song*

or i get up and stomp around my room while playing something...i usually try to do that when no one's around though...sometimes people look at you funny :shifty:

Tabulature can get really old real quick... what I do is try to write my own stuff. I find that I will spend all night working on a very simple solo, but I just can't sit there and learn intricate finger-picking patterns.

My suggestion is variation... when I take lessons, I learn Blues and Classic Rock... but when I'm at home I learn my favorites, like the Who and U2. It gets you into the mood of playing, even when you really don't feel like it. Then you might be daring enough to move on to something new... singing also helps (but it doesn't help your neighbours).

Tab is nothing to "fret" over....

ohhhh ho ho, you likie my joke?

Now that was lame, you wanger bar...

hahahahahahaha.... hehehehehe... hoo hoo... ha... he... hoo

ya... anyway...

reading tabs are easy, they're nothing like reading music. I tried to read music when I learned how to play the bass, but I just couldn't get used to reading bass clef after about ten years of only reading treble. I agree you should all learn how to read music, it can be a very valuable tool. Your college probably offers a basic music theory class.

I took a few music classes in school, we never had to learn how to read music.

Actually, we might have but I forgot. I think I took that class in 1996, then I went to Japan for 2 years and came back. Yeah, I definitly forgot.

To clarify, when I say tab, I mean both tab and the accompanying music... Led Zeppelin still scares me.

I'm getting better though... ramble on.

i can read tab, i just have a problem putting together what is on the paper and what it sounds like. if i learn something without the music, patterns are a lot clearer, and the chords make more sense. when i learn it off a pice of paper, it just doesn't click and i forget how to play it 5 minutes later.

and i have to be a music major in order to take any kind of music theory class...which sucks...

i didn't think you could tackle tab without listening to the song at the same time

my problem is that a lot of "official" tab is so wrong. The stuff in music books you can buy at stores, or in guitar magazines arent even remotely close most of the time it seems like.

That ticks me off.

yeah tab online is nearly always wrong

i like it when the tabber puts a disclaimer like: i don't know if this is right, i can't really write tab and i'm so stoned it's not funny

i found some dropkick murphys tab that had that as a disclaimer

and mofo, i'm not lying, i wish i was...

yeah I hate when tab is wrong. Some of it is so wrong it's not even funny. I don't know what the person who wrote the mysterious ways tab from u2station was smoking.

probably was smoking the same thing as the guy who tabbed the dropkick murphys' songs...

Back
Top Bottom