pickups suggestion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mack_Again

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I now have this one cheap Squire stratcaster. Affinity one and you may think it sucks balls, though it doesn't! i know it could but i never find it terrible in terms of feel and all that. but only things terrible about Squire are the bridge/set-up or electronics. yeah, necks and frets kinda suck as well, but lets ignore it here.

So i kinda considering replacing pups. but i want my pups to be more powerful than the current ones. this one is very quiet; even if i use some models for Mesa Caliber 22 and crank the volume on the guitar, it still sounds crunch/clean. I expect to get some more distortion without using pedals all the time.

SO i kinda want pups that is vintage-y enough to have decent midrange but hot enough to be used in somewhat heavy rock/metal sounding thing. I kinda considered some Dimarzio and some Bare Knuckle, but if you guys have some suggestions for pups for me, please let me know.

Changing pickups is easily the best upgrade you can do to a cheap guitar to get a good tone. Electronics also. Another thing to explore is upgrading your tremelo block, as a bigger heavier tremelo block tends to give you more sustain and depending on the material (Steel or brass) more warmth.

As for choice of pickups, these days I really dig Bareknuckle. I had some Fender Texas Specials in one my Teles and liked that sound too. Drove my dirt pedals really good too. Based on that I got a set for my latest guitar build but I got a faulty bridge pickup in my set. The bridge sounded thin, lacking all bass and had lower volume then the other pickups. Upon closer inspection I noticed that some of the copper strands had broken. Poor quality control at Fender nowadays?

i know that Cobra from BK looks sweet and i know there is a Cobra pre-loaded pickguard nowadays. but it's true that their pups are bloody expensive outside of UK

I'd look into Fralins. Have you tried adjusting the height of your pickups? I've had good results making crappy-sounding pickups sound good with just a little height adjustment.

I did adjust the height; my neck and bridge pups are quite high, and it kinda boosted the volume a bit but tone isn't really improving.

Huh, when I raise the pickups, usually it changes the tone slightly. Any idea what the pot values are for your volume and tone controls? I know you said you don't wanna get distortion from pedals all the time, but strat are inherently cleaner guitars, so a clean boost would make your pickups seem hotter and push you into a lot more drive. My tele with single coils is a lot hotter than my strat with single coils for whatever reason. Maybe check out Fralin Split Blades and go for the super high output?

Welcome to Lindy Fralin Pickups: Fralin Strat® Split-Blades - the Finest Guitar Pickups Available Today!

yes I think I lowered the middle pups just because i didnt want too much magnets influencing strings.
Over this summer, I wanted G&L guitars but realized that they're quite expensive in Japan.

Wow those looks amazing......

I was only looking at blade pups from Dimarzio, which seems to be how rock people are going for nowadays.
I actually wanna see Edge with guitars equipped with high-power Dimarzios.

Doubtful Edge would go to high-powered/high-gain pickups or active pickups.

He experimented with the Danvel-Nelson S-style (Joshua Tree tour) and the Clapton Strats. In the end, neither he nor Dallas were happy with the tone and they've gone away.

Hi-Gain = less tonal spectrum. That doesn't seem to suit Edge's playing style.

as much as I know that high gain pups have generally compressed sounds which I hate (*cough* Zakk Wylde *cough*), i just cant help expecting pups to have more power from them. I think it doesn't have to be SD Invader type of hot but around the hotness of typical PAF or at least mid-gain type of output.

Back
Top Bottom