pick-up selector question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marik

Refugee
another 'rookie' from me to the pros here

my pick-up selector has 5 settings. i usually just leave me on the 5th (all the way down). i never really change this. how do these sttings change the sound? i like heavier sound so thats why i use the last one- is this correct? strickly speaking u2- what setting does edge usually use? or does it change every song - even within a song? any examples would help.

pS: i have 'humbuckers' on my guitar, if this changes anything. (it looks like 4 pick-ups in total on mine- 1,2, then3+4 together at the very bottom.

humbuckers totally make a difference, and so does the guitar, what kind of guitar is it? single coil has a more tin sound than humbuckers. The edge changes it up with every guitar he uses.

On a Strat, Edge uses the middle and bridge pickup mixed (switch position 4) for cleaner sounds such as 'Streets' and 'Pride'. This has not changed at all over the years.

When he used to use the Strat for 'New Years Day' and 'Gloria' he used position 5 and for 'Bullet' and 'Silver and Gold' it was the middle pickup (position 3) Nowadays he uses a Les Paul for NYD (humbuckers)

On your Strat with humbuckers it won't quite give the same sound as two mixed single coils. In terms of delay for Pride use 114ms delay and Streets use 365ms. The sound he gets is not totally clean due to the subtle overdrive of the Vox amp.

Steve (U22U Tribute Band, UK)

Back
Top Bottom