once again Edge strat!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not 100% certain. Some say yes. Some say it was battered enough, he'd moved on to other guitars and left the main "Blackie" retired a studio guitar.

He had other 1970's era Stratocasters that he'd been using during Joshua Tree tour. Plus, by the Fall 1987 dates, Edge seems to use "Blackie" less and less, instead opting for the Danvel / Nelson custom Strat copy.

DANVEL NELSON Strat-Style guitar
scan0008-640x464.jpg

By Love Town, Edge was using the charcoal, yellow and red Clapton Stratocasters for lots of songs, including songs that were traditionally thought as Gibson songs, such as "I Will Follow" and "Desire".

CLAPTON STRATOCASTER - charcoal
edgesinginglt.jpg

CLAPTON STRATOCASTER - red
fen-strat-clapton-89-red-2_jpg_w300.jpg

CLAPTON STRATOCASTER - yellow
edgejtstrat-1.jpg

Dallas mentioned in a 360° interview that the '73 Black Strat he has on tour is still the original one:

How about the '73 black Strat…where is that?

"We've got that one. [He picks a black Stratocaster out of its rack, shows it off.] This is the Where The Streets Have No Name Strat. He also plays Bad and Still Haven't Found with it. It's a beautiful guitar. What I really like about it is the way it returns to pitch even with the standard tremolo system. This was actually his second most important guitar after he got the Explorer. Lot of history on this baby.

"The maple neck on this guitar is so bright. This guitar through the AC30 with an old analog delay - that's a magical combination. You give Edge those tools and he'll take you places with them."

It seems as if he'd changed the Pickguard of the Black-Strat to a white one during the 90's up until the Vertigo Tour, because if you look at close-ups etc the guitars are identical. But again, only Edge and Dallas really know...

Dallas mentioned in a 360° interview that the '73 Black Strat he has on tour is still the original one:

It seems as if he'd changed the Pickguard of the Black-Strat to a white one during the 90's up until the Vertigo Tour, because if you look at close-ups etc the guitars are identical. But again, only Edge and Dallas really know...

Thanks man! Where did u find that interview?

idk it kind of looks like the gent used on "Moment Of Surrender" in 2009 and the please video.

I need a closer look at it. Most of the Your Blue Room video concentrates on Bono singing and the astronauts on the screens.

I don't think that the Stereo Country Club have the padding on the back. I suppose that it's possible. And I might be wrong and that isn't the padding I see but the finish going from tobacco dark to lighter... But again, if you have found a better link of YBR... please share.

MR: How about the '73 black Strat…where is that?

Dallas: "We've got that one. [He picks a black Stratocaster out of its rack, shows it off.] This is the Where The Streets Have No Name Strat. He also plays Bad and Still Haven't Found with it. It's a beautiful guitar. What I really like about it is the way it returns to pitch even with the standard tremolo system. This was actually his second most important guitar after he got the Explorer. Lot of history on this baby.

"The maple neck on this guitar is so bright. This guitar through the AC30 with an old analog delay - that's a magical combination. You give Edge those tools and he'll take you places with them."

I agree that it is possible that it had a white pickguard / pickup covers during the 1990's.

That said, if it is of 1973 vintage, it originally had a white pickguard and pickup covers. The black pickguard and pickup covers didn't start until 1975. This is why many, including myself, originally thought this guitar to be a late 1970's, not early 1970's model.

That said, it might have had the all black when Edge bought it. But if it is truly a 1973, it most likely had white not black pickguard/pickups.

Great interview: U2 Exclusive: The Edge's stage setup revealed | MusicRadar.com

I agree that it is possible that it had a white pickguard / pickup covers during the 1990's.

That said, if it is of 1973 vintage, it originally had a white pickguard and pickup covers. The black pickguard and pickup covers didn't start until 1975. This is why many, including myself, originally thought this guitar to be a late 1970's, not early 1970's model.

That said, it might have had the all black when Edge bought it. But if it is truly a 1973, it most likely had white not black pickguard/pickups.

Very well possible, as said it's something only Edge will know. There's no way he bought this until they recorded BOY (so we're talking late 70's), so while it might be an early 70's model it's very well possible that the pickguard and PU's were changed by the time he got it (or he changed it himself).

Either way, doesn't change the fact that it's an incredible sounding Strat I'd love to have in my collection. Though I'd prefer Edge's "Stuck" 50's Strat from Elevation, which Dallas begged him never to take on road again. :) Listening to the Boston DVD w/ that sound gives me chills. Incredible! :drool:

why did dallas do that? :lol:

Why did he ask Edge not to bring it out? Probably because it's a valuable instrument, as it dates from around 1959-1962. Edge called it a `50's in the 2001 Guitar Player article. Rosewood fretboards came in 1959, so there is a good chance it is a 1959.

It has been said that the "Stuck In A Moment..." Stratocaster, was in Edge's possession well before most saw it on the 'Elevation' tour.

There are pictures of it at Point Depot during the "Rattle And Hum" sessions.

I've heard that Dallas has said that the "SIAM" Stratocaster was uses on a lot of the 'anthems' in the 1980's. So there is a good chance that it was used on 'The Joshua Tree' & 'Rattle and Hum'. I don't think that he had it before 'Joshua Tree but the jury is still out.

I've heard that Dallas has said that the "SIAM" Stratocaster was uses on a lot of the 'anthems' in the 1980's. So there is a good chance that it was used on 'The Joshua Tree' & 'Rattle and Hum'. I don't think that he had it before 'Joshua Tree but the jury is still out.

Don't ask me which interview, but I'm very positive Dallas has stated that he used it on the studio version of Still Haven't Found, for instance. I'm sure about reading that.

And from a guitar tech's point of view, I understand why Dallas wouldn't want those sort of guitars on road (he also convinced Edge in resting his original Explorer, the one's he has on road now are not THE Explorer, but exactly the same specs...but w/out the neck break :) ). Edge mentioned in one of the Australia interviews that the guitars have really suffered during this tour, as they played open air and it literally rained for almost every Europe show in 2010, meaning each guitar was under water for 3-4 mins minimum.

E_O posted some GREAT pics of the guitar in this thread: http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f195/freestylin-friday-stuck-in-a-moment-210469.html

Thanks! Anyone ever wonder what happend to edge's early start's? The ones from before u2 made it!

He had a tobacco Strat that he didn't like. That was why he went looking for a Rickenbacker to buy, while on vacation with his family in New York in 1978.

As history shows, he found and fell in love with the Explorer and bought it instead of the Rickenbacker.

The tobacco Strat's whereabouts? Unsure. The only time I have seen it was pictures from either the U2-3 or Boy sessions (at Windmill Lane)

I know that his brother Dik played a tobacco Stratocaster during his time in Virgin Prunes. It might be possible that it is the same guitar.

Back
Top Bottom