Non-standard tuning?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl91289

War Child
I have been self-teaching myself acoustic guitar for a year now and I want to try some songs with non-E tuning. However, I don't have a capo and don't have time to go to the nearest guitar store, which isn't that close. Is there any way for me to do non-standard tuning and play without a capo? Thanks!

Jack White plays with a crazy tuning where the open strings play an barred chord (D or something) so he just uses a slide over all the strings and he has a full barred chord

u can play songs in non sandard tuning where you "drop" the tuning of the string down a semi-tone or tone. there's a lot of rock songs right now that are played it what's called "drop D" tuning where you drop ur bottom string to D so the tuning is D A D G B E

Hey there, I have a guitar tuner, but if you have a keyboard of some sort, or an actual piano, just use it. You can tune anything using a piano/keys. That is if you aren't tone deaf. Some people are.

Or you can do it by ear. Tune down 1/2 step and then fret it on the 5th and match it. You can fine tune it with the piano/keys. The B string is the 4th fret of the G.

Drop D is very easy, as it only really requires the tuning of the low E string. Just tune it down and you can use the 5th fret of the A string to do it by ear.

I think it's easier by ear. 1/2 step and drop D are basic rock tunings other than standard, and some musician whiz can tell you abut others. :)

Back
Top Bottom