Newbie's 1st guitar...HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

by350

Babyface
So I've wanted to play acoustic guitar all of my life and I've finally decided to do it! I have a previous music background (trumpet for 5 years), but don't have ANY clue as to what type of guitar to buy.

Should I buy new or used? Brands? Price?

I am looking for a good beginner guitar, but one that I can use as I get more advanced.

Thanks!

It's not a bad idea to buy used if you're just beginning. That way if you don't stick with it at least you haven't wasted a lot of money (not to be negative right off the bat but it's something you may want to think about). You can find used guitars at music stores and also pawn shops, or even try a "buy and sell" type publication in your area.

Decent brands? There's plenty like, Fender, Martin, Taylor, Ovation, Takamine, Ibanez and Yamaha just to name a few. And even Epiphone, which is a lower-end line of instruments, has some decent acoustics. I had an Epiphone before I bought my Takamine and it played pretty decently and stayed in tune.

You should check out "The Starving Musician" in Santa Clara and San Jose. They sell mostly used equipment. Very cool stuff!!Check out the link!!

starvingmusician.com

If not, try Guitar Showcase in San Jose on Bascom Ave.

BUT!!!! ... If you want to go to THE BEST place on the planet!!! Then, Gelb Music in Redwood City is the ONLY way to go! I can't even tell you how awesome they are!! If you want good honest advice and don't want to be ripped off or treated like you're an idiot just because you don't know which guitar to choose, then go to GELB!!

GelbMusic.com

Trust me on this one. You won't have ANY regrets if you go to Gelb!

Back
Top Bottom