Newbie needs equipment advice - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Even Better Than The Real Thing ??
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2009, 08:55 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 11:18 AM
Newbie needs equipment advice

I was looking at getting a guitar and kit.

What do people recommend for FX boxes and amps?
I dont mind spending a bit as I want quipment that has depth which I won't need to upgrade to something else, after I become proficient at guitar.

I was looking at the Line 6 M13 and a Vox AC-15, would that combination get me pretty close to Edge's tones? That's about all my budget can stretch to at the moment, are there any better choices at that price? What about the Boss GT-10?

I'm not looking to do gigs or anything atm, so I don't need a loud amp. Is it true though that you have to have the Voxs turned all the way up to get an Edge tone? If so, you can't get the amp to output through headphones can you? I don't want the neighbours complaining, everytime I practice.

Thanks

vanquish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:31 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:18 PM

Line 6 M13 and Vox Pathfinder, if you are playing at home. This will give you inexpensive but best bang for the buck.

Pathfinder is about $110

If you've a little more money, Vox AC15CC will get you in Edge-tone territory. They run about $599. AC15CC with blue Celestion speaker is a bit more but worth it - the tone will be far better.

M13 is better than the Boss GT, in my humble view.

Guitar-wise, Epiphone Explorer's are pretty good. Epiphone Les Paul's? Not as good. But you could get one and upgrade the pickups.

A decent Stratocaster is never a bad thing. Eric Johnson Stratocaster is over $1000 but will sound great. Chas from the U2 Tribute The Joshua Tree has one is it sounds great. Cheaper? No worries, even a MIM Stratocaster (Made in Fenders Mexico facility) can be decent with a pickup upgrade.

Edge_Orchestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:11 AM   #3
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge_Orchestra View Post

Line 6 M13 and Vox Pathfinder, if you are playing at home. This will give you inexpensive but best bang for the buck.

Pathfinder is about $110

If you've a little more money, Vox AC15CC will get you in Edge-tone territory. They run about $599. AC15CC with blue Celestion speaker is a bit more but worth it - the tone will be far better.

M13 is better than the Boss GT, in my humble view.

Guitar-wise, Epiphone Explorer's are pretty good. Epiphone Les Paul's? Not as good. But you could get one and upgrade the pickups.

A decent Stratocaster is never a bad thing. Eric Johnson Stratocaster is over $1000 but will sound great. Chas from the U2 Tribute The Joshua Tree has one is it sounds great. Cheaper? No worries, even a MIM Stratocaster (Made in Fenders Mexico facility) can be decent with a pickup upgrade.
Thanks for the advice, I'm set on getting an Epi Explorer (only problem is it doesnt have a tremolo bar, does that matter?)
So the GT-10 isn't as good as the M13, what's the differences, are the quality of the effects not as good?
IIRC the M13 doesn't have amp simulation or an expression pedal like the Boss.

Though if I get an AC-15 I guess I dont need amp simulation do I? Or is it better to get a GT-10 and use it to simulate an AC-30 rather than getting a M13 with a AC-15? Which would get closer to the sound of an actual AC-30 and the Edge tone?

If I get a tube amp like the AC15, would I need to replace tubes and retune them or something, if so how often and how much do the replacements cost?

And can the M13 do the two different delays you need for a song like Streets?

Thanks
Old 10-17-2009, 05:25 AM   #4
The Fly

Local Time: 09:18 AM
E_O had some great advice. Explorers don't come standard with tremolo bridges, and Edge doesn't have one on his, so don't worry about that. The problem with trying to sound like The Edge is that he uses so many different guitars, and so many effects that it's almost impossible to isolate any one tone and call it "The Edge's tone." I think the reason no company has produced a signature The Edge guitar is that he really doesn't have a signature guitar (closest candidate would be the Explorer, but he only uses it on a few songs per show these days).

My advice would be to get a guitar--strat, tele, les paul, explorer, (Edge has used / uses them all)--that feels good and sounds good to you and then buy pedals as your budget allows. But most of all, save up for a top of the line amp. IMHO, when you're going for a specific tone, amps are more important than guitars. Anyway, have fun and welcome to the forum.
branwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:24 AM   #5
The Fly

So I should go for a real Vox amp instead of amp modelling via the Boss Gt-10 (which will also act as an FX box)?

I was looking at getting an AC 15CC actually, its expensive but I can afford it. The only thing I dont know about is maintenance costs and know-how, tubes wear out eventually dont they? and will they need to be re-biased regularly? (how complicated is that to do) Is the AC 15 worth shelling out for over a Pathfinder?

If the guitar experts on here think a Vox AC 15 and a Line6 M13 are worth the extra spend over a standard amp and a Boss GT-10 (modelling a AC-30) then i'll try to go for that. I really want gear that will stay useful as my playing improves, ie. with enough depth for an experienced guitarist who wants to emulate Edge.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:01 AM   #6
The Fly

PS: I prob dont want to shell out the extra $250 or so for the Celestion speakers for the AC-15 just yet, are the Celestions key in getting an Edge tone?
That being so, would a Pathfinder be a better choice than a non-Celestion AC-15?
A Pathfinder + M13 combo will definitely be easier on the wallet than a AC-15 + M13 purchase, which I might have to stagger (only cos the 'rents will not be happy and might not let me buy everything at once).
Old 10-18-2009, 01:45 AM   #7
The Fly

Yea, so what do people think of a Pathfinder 15 with a M13?

Will that do a decent job at emulating a tube AC? I'm only going to be playing in my bedroom.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:54 AM   #8
War Child

Local Time: 05:18 PM
the M13 is basically the all in one box so everything
you need in there. saves buying loadsss of pedals
and ending up like me with 27 pedals or so

edited this after seeing your other post :-)

you cant beat tube amps so im not sure how
the pathfinder sounds! but vox do smaller valve
amps now. once you start using valve amps
its night and day with the others..

you should go onto you tube and check out clips

good luck Bruce
BB Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:27 AM   #9
The Fly

BB mac is right about tube amps. There really is a difference in tone with even a relatively small, relatively cheap tube amp like a Fender Blues Jr. Spend the extra money and get a tube amp if you want to sound like The Edge.

That being said, you seem to be on the right path. And since you'll just be playing in your bedroom (for now), there really is no substitute for getting out to some guitar shops and trying as many set-ups and as many amps as you can (in your price range). Maybe call around and see if you can find a shop with a pathfinder 15 and an m13 in stock. They'll probably let you try them together. Then you just trust your ears. If you think it sounds like The Edge, that's all you need to know. Maybe a tube amp is right for you. Maybe you'll find a modeling amp that just sounds right to you. Then you know to buy that one. Most of all, have fun with it. To me, there's nothing better than having some money to spend on gear and just going out and trying stuff (and that's why, like BB mac, I have about 27 pedals)
Old 10-18-2009, 06:52 AM   #10
The Fly

Thanks

I would rather get an AC15 but atm I won't be allowed to get it AND the M13.
So I was thinking of getting the Pathfinder 15 and the M13 now and maybe upgrading to the AC15 with Celestion speakers later on.

I've only read good things about the Pathfinders (both press reviews and forums) they apparently do a great job at sounding like the more expensive tube Vox's at a excellent price and make a great practice amp.
http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=3372
http://www.tdpri.com/forum/amp-owner...er-owners.html
http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=51841 Apparently it sounds more like a tube Vox than a Fender Jr

It was Edge_Orchestra's first recommendation as well.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:08 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Location: Secretly listening to a U2 record that's beyond the greatness of Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree while eating brownies. In The Hive™.
Local Time: 12:18 PM
I've heard the Pathfinders are great amps. I haven't played one though. It's funny cause I have these two items on my list (AC15 and the M13). I haven't tried the M13. As for the AC15, you can get extremely close. I fell in love with the reverb on that amp. I couldn't run any effects through it but I can imagine the delay going through that amp. I think either way you go, Pathfinder or AC15, you'd be getting there. And the M13 allows you to run 4 different effects at the same time as well as like 80 somethin choices of effects. Edge O's advice is really good. Good luck with your purchase ! It's good to see people trying to get as close as they can to Edge's tone.
theedgeu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:11 AM   #12
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theedgeu2 View Post
I've heard the Pathfinders are great amps. I haven't played one though. It's funny cause I have these two items on my list (AC15 and the M13). I haven't tried the M13. As for the AC15, you can get extremely close. I fell in love with the reverb on that amp. I couldn't run any effects through it but I can imagine the delay going through that amp. I think either way you go, Pathfinder or AC15, you'd be getting there. And the M13 allows you to run 4 different effects at the same time as well as like 80 somethin choices of effects. Edge O's advice is really good. Good luck with your purchase ! It's good to see people trying to get as close as they can to Edge's tone.
Thanks, I think Pathfinder and M13 it is, will look to upgrad to a M15CC in a year or so (when I can actually play).

With a guitarist like the Edge, tone is key when trying to play like him. If it's even a bit off, it doesn't sound nearly as special.
razredge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:10 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

M15cc?
the tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:14 PM   #14
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post
M15cc?
Lol, getting confused AC-15 CC
Old 10-19-2009, 06:22 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanquish7 View Post
Lol, getting confused AC-15 CC

I figured that to be the case. If the pathfinder is really as good as I keep hearing for a practice amp, I might have to pick one up. I've got an AC30TB and a Blues Jr for when I play out, but they're too loud for the apartment, so I play acoustic at home.
the tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:46 PM   #16
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by the tourist View Post

I figured that to be the case. If the pathfinder is really as good as I keep hearing for a practice amp, I might have to pick one up. I've got an AC30TB and a Blues Jr for when I play out, but they're too loud for the apartment, so I play acoustic at home.
Yea, i'm looking for a cheap Pathfinder 15 (should I get the 15R?, does it sound more AC-30 like, or does it just have a reverb effect?)

BTW does anyone know the cheapest place I can get Herdim picks from?
Old 10-20-2009, 04:36 AM   #17
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanquish7 View Post

BTW does anyone know the cheapest place I can get Herdim picks from?
Pick-HER004-Herdim Teardrop Rounded Tip-nylon available from Prussia Valley Dulcimer Acoustic Music Shop www.prussiavalley.com

If you're in the US, this is the only place I know of.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:00 PM   #18
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by branwalls View Post
Thanks, but im not in the States. I found some cheap on Ebay anyway.

BTW does anyone know if Line6 is going to upgrade the M13 next year?
I dont know what the lifespan of effects boxes is, do they release replacements every 2 years or so, or is it longer than that?

Cos I might wait for the M14 or whatever instead.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:27 PM   #19
The Fly

PS: Oh and how does the Pod X3 live compare to the M13?
What are the differences?
Old 10-23-2009, 07:08 AM   #20
The Fly

I think I did something stupid.

I bought an M13 off eBay, got a good price but its coming from the US and i'm in Australia and I completely forgot about the whole power issue.

Does anyone know if the M13's come with adaptors?