New Model of Drumkit for Larry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edge_Orchestra

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Seems that Larry has opted for the Yamaha PHX Series drums for the U2 360 tour. (I have an email out to Yamaha for more information. Hope to hear back from them soon)

Here's is a picture of the kit for the U2: 360 tour.

3672746745_b1c5b1827f_o.jpg

another view:
3673558012_5ddf4b7263_o.jpg

Compare the logo badge on the drum with the picture below, of the Oak Custom kit used from the "Get On Your Boots video.

Picture6-1.png

The Kit Used for the "We Are One" show was a bit of a hybrid of drum models.

Yamaha-Oak_Custom_24in_BD_and_16in_.jpg

- Oak Custom (24") bass drum
- Oak Custom (16") floor tom
- Absolute Maple (14") rack tom

Ohhh sparkly! :love:

Interesting to see his floor tom is on the left side of the kit. :hmm: Has he always had that?

Larry's had the floor tom off next to the hi-hat since the recording of The Unforgettable Fire. You cna see how the drum pattern for Pride is played using that drum as part of the pattern. You can also see him using it for "With or Without You" on Rattle and Hum and Zoo TV".

Seems that silver sparkle is the 'finish' for the tour. He's had it on the "We Are One" Oak Custom/Maple Custom hybrid kit, the full Oak Custom kit and now the PHX Series kit have all been silver sparkle. Although, he was using a White Mica finish kit for some of the UK/European promo shows.

beautiful kit...has Larry always used maple kits?

Nope.

Beech, Maple, Oak and Birch... and the old Tama were composite of wood & fiberglass.

The PHX series he's using now is made in a few diff. woods. I am not certain which he's using. I am waiting to hear back from Yamaha.

Promo show, he used Oak Custom and a kit that had mostly Oak Custom and a maple rack tom ("We are One" show in DC)

Vertigo tour = Beech. Yamaha Absolute Beech Custom
Elevation tour = Yamaha Beech Custom (just Beech and not Absolute Beech series)
Popmart = 30th Anniversary Maple Custom kit.
ZOOTV = Maple Custom
JT/Lovetown tours = Turbo Tour Custom (mahogany/birch blend, if I remember correct)
War / UF tours = Yamaha Recording Series (Birch)

Nope.

Beech, Maple, Oak and Birch... and the old Tama were composite of wood & fiberglass.

The PHX series he's using now is made in a few diff. woods. I am not certain which he's using. I am waiting to hear back from Yamaha.

Promo show, he used Oak Custom and a kit that had mostly Oak Custom and a maple rack tom ("We are One" show in DC)

Vertigo tour = Beech. Yamaha Absolute Beech Custom
Elevation tour = Yamaha Beech Custom (just Beech and not Absolute Beech series)
Popmart = 30th Anniversary Maple Custom kit.
ZOOTV = Maple Custom
JT/Lovetown tours = Turbo Tour Custom (mahogany/birch blend, if I remember correct)
War / UF tours = Yamaha Recording Series (Birch)

interesting...thanks for the info :)

do you know more info about his drums?

ring sizes, and cymbals info?

I would be happy to know all that, me being a drummer :wave:

Larry and his Cymbals

do you know more info about his drums?

ring sizes, and cymbals info?

I would be happy to know all that, me being a drummer :wave:

Larry used various cymbals for the recording of NLOTH. He even used some from the Zildjian 'A Custom' line.

Seen on the u2.com video of Larry working on "Get On Your Boots".
YouTube - Larry Mullen Jnr playing drums

That said, I think Larry has used pretty much the same cymbal set-up, other than some different placement of the ride here and there, since AB/Zoo era.

l_mullen_setup.gif

VERTIGO TOUR:
PAISTE - Signature (model) cymbals:
16" power crash
17" power crash
18" power crash
18" full crash
22" power ride
14" heavy hi-hat/sound-edge hi-hat.

Larry Mullen Jr. has been a PAISTE cymbal endorser for 20+ years. He's been playing PAISTE brand cymbals exclusively since (at least) the WAR tour, if not a bit sooner.

Larry used mainly PAISTE "Rude" model cymbals, during the WAR and UNFORGETTABLE FIRE period.

Larry began using the PAISTE "Signature" line upon their conception in the late 1980's-early 1990's.

The cymbals in the 1987 era Yamaha Drum ad seem to be similar setup to what Larry uses today, although he was not using the (not in production at that time) Signature line then.

lmr-yamaha_advert-1987.jpg

do you know more info about his drums? ring sizes, and cymbals info? I would be happy to know all that, me being a drummer :wave:

Per Yamaha (Vertigo tour)
YAMAHA: 24" x 16" bass drum
YAMAHA: 14" x 10" tom
YAMAHA: 16" x 16" floor tom
YAMAHA: 18" x 16" floor tom

Per Brady Drums -
Client since 1989

Equipment:
(partial list)
10 x 4.5" Jarrah Ply Snare, Wandoo Burl satin finish
12” x 7” Sheoak Block Snare (old primary, pre 2005)
12” x 7” Jarrah Block Snare
14” x 6.5” Jarrah Block Snare
14” x 8” Jarrah Block Snare
14" x 8" Sheoak Block Snare (primary, post 2005)
14" x 8" Wandoo Block Snare
14 x 8" Sugar Gum Block Snare

Jarrah Ply Drumkit/Banksia Satin finish: (While Brady probably made this kit for him, I've not seen him play it or seen any pictures of it.)
14” x 10” Rack Tom
16” x 14” Floor Tom
20” x 16" Bass Drum

Have you heared anything from Yamaha yet? I'm planning on buying a new kit. Would be nice if I could match it against Larry's kit :applaud:

The 360 tour kit is the PHX (Phoenix) series. Good stuff. 14" rack tom. 16" floor toms. 22" bass drum.

I am not sure if the snare still the Brady or something else. I will have to check my pictures.

The Djembe is a Toca (brand) Synergy (series) Mandjani (model) Djembe.

Cymbals appear to all Paiste Signature series. Larry not much for change... other than the series of kit every now and then.

...at least the kit isn't white this tour!

Just as a matter of interest - did anyone else notice the lyrics to Unknown Caller typed out for him in one of the pics up there? Seems like an odd choice when he's also got a monitor in front of him...

Just as a matter of interest - did anyone else notice the lyrics to Unknown Caller typed out for him in one of the pics up there? Seems like an odd choice when he's also got a monitor in front of him...

Presumably the monitor's so that he can keep an eye on the rest of the band, and the lyrics are up because he's singing backup vocals?

Okay, random question. Has Larry begun either putting his tambourine on his hat stand, or on its own pedal stand? The reason I ask is cause in the Sheffield boot, you can hear the tambourine jingling away when he's clearly using both arms for other things - so it's either a recording or he's using his left foot.

Okay, random question. Has Larry begun either putting his tambourine on his hat stand, or on its own pedal stand? The reason I ask is cause in the Sheffield boot, you can hear the tambourine jingling away when he's clearly using both arms for other things - so it's either a recording or he's using his left foot.

There are two tambourines on stands, on each side of the kit.

He's also used the smaller Rhythm Tech Hat Trick Hi Hat Mounted Tambourines at various times. Those are more to get a tambourine sound when operating the hi-hat by foot and not so much for striking with a stick.

Now, all of that said... it could be a tambourine used as a click track, ran through a sequencer. They user shaker and tambourine for click tracks more than just plain 'ping' clicks.

What tune in particular are you thinking about?

There are two tambourines on stands, on each side of the kit.

He's also used the smaller Rhythm Tech Hat Trick Hi Hat Mounted Tambourines at various times. Those are more to get a tambourine sound when operating the hi-hat by foot and not so much for striking with a stick.

Now, all of that said... it could be a tambourine used as a click track, ran through a sequencer. They user shaker and tambourine for click tracks more than just plain 'ping' clicks.

What tune in particular are you thinking about?

Ahh right, that makes sense. I'm thinking of, for example, COBL, the drum intro to Breathe and during Streets, where you can hear a tambourine that makes sense being tapped by the left foot (ie in most of them, Larry's got his hands full with rolls).

The 360 tour kit is the PHX (Phoenix) series. Good stuff. 14" rack tom. 16" floor toms. 22" bass drum.

I am not sure if the snare still the Brady or something else. I will have to check my pictures.

The Djembe is a Toca (brand) Synergy (series) Mandjani (model) Djembe.

Cymbals appear to all Paiste Signature series. Larry not much for change... other than the series of kit every now and then.

...at least the kit isn't white this tour!
Yeah, the PHX... Can't afford that. The bassdrum alone costs as much as a compete Oak Custom set.

Anyway, I got myself some sort of endorsement at Yamaha :applaud: so I'm ordering an Oak Custum Silver Sparkle in 24, 14, 16, 16.

You mention 2 floors, but, I recon it's one 16"x16" floortom and one 16"x14" racktom? And are you sure on the 22" bass? He's been using 24" the last decade or so.

Thanks a lot for the info :):up:

Yeah, the PHX... Can't afford that. The bassdrum alone costs as much as a compete Oak Custom set.

Anyway, I got myself some sort of endorsement at Yamaha :applaud: so I'm ordering an Oak Custum Silver Sparkle in 24, 14, 16, 16.

You mention 2 floors, but, I recon it's one 16"x16" floortom and one 16"x14" racktom? And are you sure on the 22" bass? He's been using 24" the last decade or so.

Thanks a lot for the info :):up:

Larry used Oak Custom and a hybrid of Oak Custom and Maple Custom (We Are One show) during NLOTH promo shows. There is no shame in the Oak Customs - great drums.

The 2nd floor tom is used to Larry's left, near the hi-hat. It isn't there all the time. Some times the bongos are there, sometimes the glockenspiel... but that is where the second floor tom is when used.

Information I posted was per my conversation with an artist rep at Yamaha.

:applaud:The tambourine is on a click/Sequence track! Used on most songs IE Fly, Mysterious Ways etc

It's true that they use shakers, tambourines and cowbell bits in the click tracks as they are more pleasant to hear than a straight metronome click.

The click tracks also have a voice count in for when Bono is to come in, on some tracks, and also have a 'tone' for pitch reference, to help come in on the correct pitch.

Most of the tambourine heard by fans is Larry playing either the mounted tambourines and the 'ching-ring' on his hi-hat being played via his foot. While there is some songs where there are percussion bits that are mixed in with the sound, as mentioned.

Well, the Oak Custom has been ordered :) Let the waiting begin.

@Edge_Orchestra: Do you have any info on the snare? Seems like he dropped the Brady...? I think I see a silver sparkle PHX snare on one of the pix.

Well, the Oak Custom has been ordered :) Let the waiting begin.

@Edge_Orchestra: Do you have any info on the snare? Seems like he dropped the Brady...? I think I see a silver sparkle PHX snare on one of the pix.

It does appear to be a sparkle Yamaha of some sort. I am looking for a better piccy of the snare drum.

Odd that he'd drop the Brady snares after 18-19 years but maybe it was just about change and trying new things. God knows that has worked out nicely for Adam, this tour.

I was up front for the Rose Bowl show, and was shocked to see that it didn't appear to be a Brady snare. Perhaps a close exam of the YouTube stream will solve the mystery...

I was up front for the Rose Bowl show, and was shocked to see that it didn't appear to be a Brady snare. Perhaps a close exam of the YouTube stream will solve the mystery...

It appears that the Brady's have been sidelined. The snare drum appears to be a Yamaha.

It is possible he had a Brady covered in silver sparkle.

If that were the case it'd be a new move for Larry. He has never recovered a Brady snare, to the best of my knowledge - not since he began using them on Lovetown... through to the Vertigo tour.

The snare used on Actung Baby/Zoo Tv was the Brady solid sheoak 12x7 awesome snare, I am still using it now! it Pisses all over the Yamaha phx maple he appears to be on at the mo!! =]

Just a bit of further info - Larry has been asked to endorse a Yamaha "Larry Mullen Jnr - Snare drum" So maybe this is his attempt to find a sound that he will put his name too - things you do for money eh!!!

Reply to:
This isn't relevant to the topic but does anyone know what snare Larry used for Achtung Baby? I love that one!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom