New Gibson Explorer - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Even Better Than The Real Thing ??
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2009, 10:23 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:03 AM
The Edge's Explorer pickups have gold covers that the finish has worn over the years. Tuners are/were gold color too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholjm View Post
OK,

I did pick up a pair of 1979 T Tops (no cover) with the intent of replacing the stock ceramic humbuckers in the Explorer. Currently these are also uncovered (i.e. no chrome cover plate). The t-tops are pretty ugly looking so I was wondering if there is a downside to getting these pups put into chrome covers. I understand they do not need to be potted but would need a couple of dabs of solder. Do it myself? I have replaced pups in strat and Epi Les Paul so aI am not a complete doofus.

So, any no no's? Risks? I don't want to devalue or otherwise ruin a fantastic guitar, nor do I want to ruin a perfectly good set of pickups. Any advice from knowledgable folks would be much appreciated.

Edge_Orchestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:17 PM   #17
Babyface

Ok, update on what i have done. I did get hold of some 1979 Gibson PAF's they were uncovered. After much debate I bought some chrome Gibson covers and inserted the T-tops, no wax just a piece of tape. Fitted PERFECTLY. Lead on the neck was too short so I had to extend it but that worked fine. Pickups are easy to change in the explorer.. I LOVE them

nicholjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:18 PM   #18
Babyface

I do have one question. The bneck humbucker sounds a little thin/missing bass type tones. I could be mistaken having just had a veryt heavy ceramic pickup there. Could I have messed up the installation/wire extension? Would a poor solder job do that? Or maybe it just the way vintage neck pups sound?

nicholjm is offline   Reply With Quote